“One of the Best Meals I've Ever Had. Amazing.”
Review of Funky Gourmet

Funky Gourmet
Ranked #34 of 2,663 Restaurants in Athens
Price range: US$0 - US$210
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 August 2017

My sister and I came here to celebrate her birthday during a weekend away in Athens.
Finding the restaurant is a little interesting. It is in a residential area. It wasn't far from our hotel so we walked to the restaurant. We followed Google Maps and when we got to the place that said "you have arrived" we couldn't see anything that looked like a restaurant. No signs or fronts. But there was a man sat on a stool outside a building and he smiled at us and said "Ladies? Can I help you?" and then showed us in to the restaurant.
The restaurant is very nice. Contemporary. Modern. Clean. Our table was upstairs and we were shown up to our table. They play jazz and blues music in the background. There was a good ambience.
The view out of the window for me was of an unfinished building across the street and the leaves of the trees lining the street. Initially I thought this was a little odd but it was really interesting to see that shell of a building change in character, tone and outline as the sky turned from daylight to night. Almost like being at a modern art gallery!
There is only the tasting menu (Degustation Menu) at this restaurant and so you only have to decide on whether you want to do the wine flight or not. We decided to order a bottle of wine instead and the sommelier gave us recommendations for Greek wines. We had a bottle of white wine, which was very good.
Normally I write detailed reviews but I don't want to spoil the experience in this restaurant for anyone! The whole thing was excellent. There are 14 courses on the tasting menu (all small portions) and my sister and I were both full to the brim at the end of the meal!
My favourite course was Picnic. That was amazing. And involved some theatre.
The Silence of the Lamb turned out to be lamb brains. I'm afraid neither I nor my sister were willing to try brains and so we had the alternative, which was veal, and it was divine. The soft boiled egg is not what it seems. Mastic involved theatre and the Wow Factor. The Red Box at the end was incredible and I don't know how you're supposed to eat all of the petit fours after the 13 prior courses!
There was one course I didn't like and that was Greek Salad. It was presented in an interesting way, but the main flavour was that of cold tomatoes, and I really hate uncooked, cold tomatoes, and so I didn't like it and couldn't eat it.
My sister got a birthday candle in one of her desserts.
The staff were all very professional and polite. They topped up our wine and water frequently. Everything seemed very rehearsed and exact, to the point actually that I felt it was a little too forced. They didn't seem to want to interact or chat much. But they were very good at their jobs.
This meal was amazing. It isn't cheap at 145 Euros per person for food but it is well worth the money for a special occasion. One of the best Michelin star restaurants I've been to so far. A fantastic meal and an excellent evening. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.

6  Thank KT3821
Write a ReviewReviews (1,105)

Reviewed 11 August 2017

I had really high exceptions with it being a 2 Michelin star restaurant. I live in Chicago and maybe because I am exposed to some really great food I expected more. We have Alinea here and Grace and various other high caliber restaurants so maybe that is why I wasn't too impressed. There were some creative dishes that I did enjoy. But of all my meals in Greece, the ones I paid 1/10th of a price for were the far most satisfying, which is unfortunate. I am sure these types of restaurants in Greece are few and far in between making it special, hence the high ratings.

2  Thank Tania K
Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

This is an remarkable experience, since the restaurant gained its second Star the food got even more delicious. I always say that FG is an experience and an awaking of the pallet and of the senses. An all time favorite is the the "Greek salad", unbelievable how a sorbet can indulge so strong tastes. The services is impeccable and they guys guide you through each dish with a theatrical precision. A must visit when in Athens.

6  Thank seasatin
Reviewed 6 August 2017

Fantastic experience with some exciting choices of food; outstanding wine pairing (with only 1 exception).

Reviewed 3 August 2017

Each dish was perfectly presented and the flavor combinations were fantastic. The staff was very professional and friendly. The only (minor) complaint is that the dishes were served a bit quicker than I'm used to for a restaurant of this caliber. Overall, a wonderful dining experience.