After staying in mediocre accommodations throughout the Greek islands, we were delighted to discover such a comfortable, modern hotel within accessible reach of most of the sites of interest in Athens. From the moment we arrived, we were awestruck with the magnificent view of the Acropolis from the rooftop bar at night. The restaurant serves food that is quite acceptable - but most importantly is the million dollar view that is perfectly enjoyed with a glass of vino.
- Room was tastefully decorated – décor was quite minimalistic but still lovely nonetheless – the A/C definitely worked well as it was really hot outside but pleasantly cool within the confines of our room
- Bathroom feels a bit luxurious, is very new and always cleaned spotlessly
- Rooftop restaurant and bar – food was ok but the house wine surprisingly good (tip: should reserve a table as we had to wait a while for ours on both nights – well worth it though)
- Breakfast (also in rooftop restaurant) was bountiful with cooked eggs, sausages, bacon, cakes, as well as the usual continental selection (tip: the breakfast service was quite busy in the mornings but we managed to get a seat on the balcony both days as we started at around 8:15/8:30am. By the time, we finished breakfast, we could see that a lot of people could only get seats inside. It pays to get up a bit earlier – and to escape the heat too!)
- Only about a 3 minute walk from the metro
- Small street to get to/from metro is very dark at night and I wouldn’t have been comfortable walking down there alone (I was approached by a homeless man asking for money on my first day but was pushed in the arm when I politely shook my head).
Overall, would I go back? Definitely. I think this hotel was my saving grace for our trip in Greece, mainly because I was so sick of hotels selling themselves to be more stars than they really were. Athens Gate definitely lived up to expectations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Athens Gate Hotel is located in the historic district of Athens exactly opposite the Temple of Olympian Zeus. It is 400 m away from the Acropolis, 200 m away from the new Acropolis Museum, and on the doorstep of Plaka, the heart of the tourist district of Athens. It has recently been taken over by new Management, and fully renovated. Its style is modern and simple, as befits the area. New features include LCD TV in all rooms. In 2015 The Athens Gate Hotel was announced best case Hotel, under a research conducted by National and Kapodistrian University of Athens in order to identify energy consumption patterns and best efficiency in buildings in Attica Hotel sector. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Southall Travel, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Athens Gate Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Athens Gate Hotel