“Live like a god in Athens. Convenient, safe and classy!”

The Athens Gate Hotel
Ranked #14 of 325 Hotels in Athens
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Live like a god in Athens. Convenient, safe and classy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

We chose the Athens Gate for the view of the Acropolis from the rooftop restaurant.
After arriving at the hotel, we were grateful to learn that our choice of hotel was good for other reasons as well. This hotel also offers quality, style, comfort and location. More of that in a moment. Right now, let's get back to that all-important view of the Acropolis.
Many years back, I lived in Athens in the Plaka when it was worth visiting and a couple of other places. That experience taught me that the Acropolis is at the heart of everything in Athens, not just in a geographical sense. That magificent and beautiful temple shines over the city, day and night, teasing the soul from every angle.
That's why we booked the Athens Gate.
We got exactly what we hoped for. As you dine at the roof top restaurant, the Acropolis seems so close you feel you could touch it. What's more, the view over the rest of Athens is no less enticing.
And what about other aspects of the Athens Gate?
LOCATION - the Athens Gate is convenient. Yes, there are fancy hotels down the back streets of the Plaka and near Syntagma Square (and other places of course). But try hailing a cab from any of those. You won't have that problem at the Athens Gate.
Then again, why not walk? Cross the road out front of the hotel and find yourself in the ancient Temple of Olympian Zeus.
Walk a couple of safe blocks back from the hotel and find yourself in a welcoming pedestrian zone with upmarket tavernas.
Walk a little bit further to find the Acropolis Museum. And then onto the Acropolis itelf. And the Plaka. And just a little bit further to Syntagma Square. And Monasteraki. And on to ... and I think you're getting the idea by now!
As we said, you can pick up a cab out the front of the hotel, and drive for a seafood sensation at Pireas Harbour, or take a coffee on top of Mount Lycabettus, or go wherever else your heart desires!
COMFORT - the Athens Gate was refurbished six years ago. Other TripAdvisors have commented about how the refurb has stood the test of time. The rooms are very comfortable, spacious and the bathrooms are well-appointed. We were fortunate to have a balcony, meaning we had extra Acropolis time. That's a bonus of travelling off-season, but the room would have been very nice and comfy anyhow.
STAFF - we loved the reception and restaurant staff! We travellers know, don't we, that the staff make such a difference when on the road. At the Athens Gate, nothing was too much trouble, and our questions were answered patiently and with genuine concern. And the lovely plate of sweet Greek delights on check-in really hit the spot.
ROOF TOP DINING - Or just for a relaxing drink in the evening! Taking breakfast whilst watching the Acropolis, and the Temple of Zeus, never grew old. It wasn't just the view, though. This is a quality restaurant, with good ingredients cooked well and served with a genuine care. After dinner, it's hard to tear yourself away from the place - you, too, might find yourself dreaming the evening away with a good companion, a glass of your favorite and a view of Olympian gods.
RECOMMENDATION - the Athens Gate won't be for everyone. It'll be a little pricey for some. For others, the extra cost will be worth it given the extraordinary views, appointments to comfort and location. We have no hesitation in recommending this 4 star hotel to all seekers of magic when staying away from home.

Room Tip: You'll find a coin-operated laundry just down Beikou Avenue (a few safe streets behind the hotel...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CharlesKelly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (940)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

In the start of April we visited Athens and stayed into The Athens Gate Hotel. It was a really pleasant stay with high quality service. The room we had had an amazing view of Acropolis and it was quite big for us. The breakfast also was really nice and rich. I surely recommend this hotel to anyone!!

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PatrickSand
GREECE&CYPRUS
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,911 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

It can be considered both a Family oriented and a Business clientele hotel. Even though it was fully renovated 6 years back, it is SO NEAT, and spotlessly clean that it seems like it was only renovated a year ago! It is a non-smoking hotel and its modern simple touch of the interior is cozy and functional.

LOCATION: I can give one word for its location….SUPERB!
It is just 500 metres from the Acropolis, only 100 metres from the New Acropolis Museum and a 10 minute walk from the bus stop where you get the X95 from/to Airport for 5.00 euros. In this case there is no need to worry about taxi fees which would have cost you more than 40.00 euros –one way!

It is so close to the Commercial centre of Athens and yet away from the area where once in a while demonstrations take place. It is only 1 block from the Athens Acropolis Metro stop. For tourists who have just a couple of days, even hours but want to see much and on budget with no time to waste in transit, this is the ideal hotel to stay with no regrets.

WARM WELCOME: I was touched by the warmth of their welcome here from the moment we stepped in until we left. We were offered cold fresh water and ‘loukoumi’ –a turikish delight! I am indeed surprised why it is called turkish delight since it is Greek!! In minutes we were up in our room with no delay.

STAFF & MANAGEMENT: I can highly speak of the friendliness of the Staff and Management –happy faces, impeccable service, professionalism and open-hearted people that indeed made our stay unforgettable. The guys at the reception are eager to help with knowledge of the round area so the guest can rely on their precious tips.

You see, “Attention to the Guest” is the first Priority out here, with many guests keep coming back for years. Repeaters are upgraded depending on availability.
For the last 4 years I have been the Local Expert of Greece and Cyprus on a site that has to do with tourism, and with my expertise knowledge I try to help and advice visitors with tips and suggestions that will make their trip more interesting. When I come across tourists in hotels I like chatting with them trying to dig out possible negatives from their stay or from their trip. Well, I chatted with several out here and there was not even a single person to mention something bad regarding this hotel. On the contrary they were sorry that they had to leave and only wished they were able to stay longer.

I noticed that the staff works on the least detail for the comfort, preference, taste and style of each and every guest. The people at the reception -I remember Kiki and Stelios but even though I miss the names of the rest they were all amazing. I had a long chat with Chrisa the young lady at the Bar on the Top Roof, I also talked with Dimitri Tsivikas, Thomas and Michali, and George Kaloudis. I found them skilful, professional and very attentive. Keep up the good work guys!

ROOM & BATHROOM: We had room #605 overlooking the Temple of Olympian Zeus. It had a minimalistic feel. I cannot say that it was big but it was spotlessly clean, functional, and comfy. I loved the idea of the oblong window by the bathroom wall. It made the bathroom brighter, and I could have my shower and at the same time watch the news, or enjoy the spectacular view of the ancient temple and greenery extending through the wide balcony window.
The bathroom was quite large with a centre piece of furniture with shelves for the towels which were bright white and fresh.
Toiletries –the “Karavaki” brand were ample.

Double-glazed windows keep traffic noise away ….but I always carry my earplugs just in case! Rooms on the lower floors surely have more noise so have a set of them in case you are given a room on a lower floor. Coffee/tea facilities are only provided in the suite but as a traveller again I have my own miniature kit for my afternoon coffee. Of course there is the alternative of the Roof Top Bar where you can enjoy your drink overlooking the spectacular view.
COMPLIMENTARY TREAT: I appreciated the two tiny dark chocolates and the sachet of lavender I found on our Queen bed…for sweet dreams! A nice gesture indeed!

FACILITIES: There was a safe in the room, a mini bar, a hair dryer and a flat T.V. set. Huge mirrors –on the whole surface of the wardrobe proved handy as well. I asked to see a few rooms just to have the whole picture of what the hotel has to offer and out of the 99 rooms, 60 have Queen beds, some are twin bedded, but the one and only Junior Suite has a Jacuzzi bath tub and shower, -the bathroom of the suite overlooks the Temple and the beautiful path park beside it. I also asked to see a budget room which I found indeed beautiful, spacious and comfortable with the only negative that overlooks walls. This won’t be a problem though if you are busy all day long and out of the building. All rooms are identical in size, décor and colour with the only difference those in lower floors overlooking buildings. It certainly worth paying some extras for a room with a view!!
All rooms are equipped with an electronic sign system next to the door for the “Do Not Disturb or Make up the Room”.

FOYER: It has great contrast to the outside pavement on the high road, the foyer opposite the reception desk has a modern touch, and it is comfortable with a wall fireplace. This must be extremely popular on cold winter nights.

LOUNGE: The lounge on the side of the ground floor is nicely furnished with comfy sofas that blend perfectly with the modern stylish interior. There is a smaller corner bar out there where I had a cocktail and my husband enjoyed his snack the second day of our stay. The service was great.

Wi Fi CONNECTION: High speed Wi Fi is available throughout the hotel. In the lobby and restaurant/bar for free. (There are two computers in the lobby with a printer). You can purchase an internet card from the reception for use in the room and the cost of course varies. For an hour it will cost you 4.00 euros, for a whole day it is 14.00, the two day card costs 24.00 and for 4 days the cost is at 36.00 euros.

CONFERENCE ROOM: Just above the reception desk on the mezzanine level there is a reception area with a Conference and Meeting Room which can accommodate up to 100 people. Services include a quick and convenient copy service, and fax. The whole area is ideal for hosting a conference, organize an event, or arrange formal dining.

BREAKFAST: In an attempt to congratulate the Chef for the excellent cuisine and an amazing breakfast I had the opportunity to meet Stratos. Breakfast out here was honestly beyond my expectations –everything was fresh and delicious and the variety rich.
It is actually an American Breakfast based on Greek fresh products of the best quality. I loved the idea of ‘koulouri’ and ‘bougatsa’. I urge you to try both. Spinach pies with puff-pastry were also delicious. There was a fresh chocolate/vanilla cake daily, orange and grapefruit juice, sausages, omelette, rice pudding, honey and fresh seasonal fruit, amazing coffee, cereals and milk and many more. I was not happy with the fried eggs though because the yolk was dry. (Omelette however was good)!

THE VIEW: I have never before been to a restaurant as close to the Acropolis as this one -Listed as #4 Roof Top Views of the World! The view is spectacular no matter what time of day or night you come here. It is no need to get out searching for a restaurant with a view if you have all this at the place where you stay!
TIP: Between us, restaurants in the touristy area of Plaka are not only expensive but a rip-off. At the same time you cannot be sure of the quality of food offered. I am talking about the spots where tourist agencies book to host tourists and you don’t see Greeks around. Try to avoid them!
The view of the city from the hotel's Roof Top is possibly the BEST in the whole of Athens.

RESTAURANT: The New Summer a la carte menu is based on Authentic Greek Traditional Cuisine. Salads and starters vary from 8.00 to 14.00 euros. The Chef was telling me that they choose the best seasonal quality products from different parts of Greece and they try to include as much as possible organic products of the finest and freshest produce.

Risotto and Pasta dishes vary between 12.00 to 15.00 euros.
Meat dishes –grilled chicken breasts cost 15.00 and the grilled baby veal steak with mixed grilled salad served with BBQ sauce and village fried potatoes is at 21.00. The most expensive one is the beef fillet flavoured with fresh butter, served with grilled baked potatoes and two meat sauce (Jack Daniels & BBQ) for 27.00 euros.

The Fresh Salmon fillet costs 23.00 and the Fresh Sea bream Fillet with saffron sauce –served with potatoes, celery and carrots costs 26.00 euros.

Desserts cost 8.00 – Choice of Kayak Ice creams, Orange or Walnut pie and Ice Cream, Chocolate Souffle with Ice cream, Caramel Fudge Cheese Cake, etc.

Wine by Glass (5.00 – 7.00 euros)

Bottled White wine varies, starting from 16.00 to 28.00 euros.
Red Wine varies from 18.00 to 39.00 euros.
The catalogue is long with popular local names of wineries …and not only!

EXPLORING/ROUND AREA: Be sure to have on a pair of comfortable walking shoes. Central roads have been transformed into pleasant pedestrian walkways but if you plan to walk up Plaka’s steep alleys you will surely need them.
Besides the Syntagma Square and the House of Parliament the National Gardens, the Temple of Olympian Zeus, Hadrian’s Gate which are all in short proximity you can take the way around the Acropolis Hill –known as the Archaeological walk of Athens” as it passes through the most significant ancient sites of the city, giving the opportunity to start the tour from many different points. The ideal part of the tour starts at the Acropolis Metro Station and ends up at Monastiraki. In other words, -a circular walk along 3 pedestrian roads. Dionisiou Aeropagitou, Apostolou Pavlou and Adrianou.
Tourists can use it to visit the Acropolis,Dionysus Theatre and the Acropolis Museum, the Acropolis Monuments and the famous Agora. It ends up at Thission and the Temple of Ifestos, -an area full of spectacular views of the Acropolis, with many café bars and the popular Monastiraki Flea Market.

I mentioned above that the location of the Hotel is simply superb because with one outing the tourist can have it all: the Acropolis, ancient sites, museums, unique photo angles, coffee breaks and a stroll in Plaka, with its beautiful neoclassical buildings. I urge tourist to use the subway to return back to the hotel in case they start feeling tired!

DINING OUTSIDE: Avoid touristy rip off traps. Don’t leave Athens without tasting the Cretan Authentic Traditional Cuisine. I highly recommend “Tzougri” located at Chalandri. (Ethnikis Antistaseos 9-11) Owner is the well known actor Mr. G. Partsalakis. We paid less than 7 euros by taxi.
“Alatsi” is the second one, located at the Hilton area and within walking distance from the Athens Gate Hotel. Tastes and flavours with a Cretan twist. (Gourmet dining)
The third restaurant I recommend is “Trikyklo”. We took a taxi from the hotel and paid less than 4.00 euros but we returned on foot and it was actually a 10 minute walk. Ask for “pikilia or meze” thus you will have the opportunity to taste several Greek dishes in smaller portions. I have reviews on all three restaurants.

In all, I highly recommend the Athens Gate Hotel for all the above reasons and I will definitely return. Thank you guys for making our stay interesting….especially the guys at the bar and restaurant.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
11 Thank greekcypriot2009
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

I visited Athens outside of high season, so my experience may be not be typical. I thought the hotel was great. It's pretty centrally located (and easy to get to using the Metro - from the airport to Syntagma, and then switch trains to the Acropolis) and within easy walking distance of many historical sites. The morning breakfast, held in the rooftop restaurant, was good. I also loved the fact that the rooftop restaurant allowed for free wifi access for two hours anytime during the day. While the view from my room was of another office building, the view from the restaurant was amazing. Again, because it wasn't high season, it wasn't very crowded and I could sit on the patio and look out over the Temple of the Olympic Zeus, the Acropolis and all of Athens as I relaxed after a busy day.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Kristina Z
Hartford, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

I loved my stay at Athens Gate. The rooftop views can't be beat. The room was small but clean (called an interior room because it faced a back street). Of course I would have liked free internet in the room, but it is free on the roof. Within walking distance of public transit.

• Stayed April 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

Excellent location. Close to the train station and all the monuments. Only a short walk, fantastic!
The staff were excellent - always kind and friendly. Its just perfect for seeing all the historical sites in the city. The views from our room and the rooftop garden were amazing. The rooms were clean and nicely appointed and i just loved there breakfast.
Rooms were little small, No free Wifi & Parking. But who care if you have such gr8 location and meal.
Highly recommend this place.Dont forgot to were your sport shoes as you have lots of walking. Cheers!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
emerald hills, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

We have stayed here several times in the last several years. I really enjoy my visits here. The staff treats us like family.
The morning breakfast is great especially when you are gazing at the Acropolis and having your meal.
Ideally located close to a Metro station, Plaka and the beautiful Acropolis Museum.
I recommend it highly.

Room Tip: the top front have a beautiful view but the street noise might be a little much. the back rooms are...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family