Soho Hotel
US$204
US$198
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel thinking to myself "well the ratings on tripadvisor for the hotel are pretty good and I can deal with a sketchy area. My husband is a marine and besides, I am sure it's not as bad as everyone says." The area is absolutely as bad as all of the reviews say it is. I am scared to walk around Omonia at night. During the day it is not so bad. We did see someone being put in handcuffs as soon as we got off the metro coming from the airport.

This hotel is very close to all of the main attractions. You can walk anywhere you would ever want to go in Athens.

The hotel is very good value for the money. While the furniture and bathroom is dated, the room is very large. Our double bed was actually two singles pushed together. The shower head was not attached to the wall so that was a little weird. If I came back the Athens, I would definitely pay more for a different hotel. That being said, I am not impressed with Athens at all and will not come back here.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank bkl0irnnk
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Anyone giving the Soho hotel in Athens is either a lunatic or just blind, deaf and have a gene for masocism. I stayed three nights with my family. Not even crushed glass in the corridor was cleaned during this time. Sheets, towels dirty. Floor cleaned last time back in 1979, tops. Staff will not see that there is any fault at all with anything, shining example: when they accidentaly put teain the free coffee container, i pointed it out. Mr Fawlty told me it was coffee, even after tasting... 5 mins later Sibyl exchanged the tea for coffee.

The suroundings of the hotel is the worst you can find in athens, addicts shooting smack in the street, thieves, pickpockets, everything i never saw in greece before (and ive travelled greece quite alot). The police camps outside the hotel, i guess thats why we didnt get any burglars.

To sum it up BE WARNED: DO NOT GO THERE. EVER. AT ALL.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank JohnnyBromma
Reviewed 24 February 2013 via mobile

The hotel is the best in the area for the money.
Clean, big rooms with air con and hot water.
The staff is friendly and very helpful.
Worth for its money.
The are is a bit dangerous and beware but there is a lot of police.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Vasilis S
Reviewed 13 February 2013 via mobile

The pictures of the hotel and of the rooms are completely misleading. Rooms are absolutely filthy, furniture dated , bathroom filthy , floors and carpets an absolute discrase. Rooms supposingly renovated all you can smell is chemicals. The location utterly dangerous nearby omonia square and to top it up windows don't even close. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank LauraMcCarthy
Reviewed 27 January 2013

No qualms about this place, really, other than the fact that it's on a street that's rife with shady characters. Menandrou Street is crowded with groups of men doing God knows what at all hours of the day. I suspect many of them are doing business involving drugs, but the important thing to note is that they don't seem like the violent types. You just have to be confident, keep your belongings hidden away in your backpack, and walk by them quickly. What's great is that the street is not far away at all from safe, more public areas, starting at Monastiraki Station which is a mere 5-minute walk away. So just know that you're a short walking distance away from very public spaces with many people.

Menandrou aside, the hostel is great. I stayed for 7 nights and had booked a 4-person female-only room. For the first 3 nights, I was by myself (and there were 3 beds in the room as opposed to 4.) For 9.11 euros a night, this was a great deal! For the remaining 4 nights, I stayed with a lovely lady from Italy.

The staff that work here are nice, friendly, and quiet - they won't bother you or anything; very respectful and considerate. Coffee is available 24/7 in the lounge/cafe area, as are 2 bikes for renting if you so choose. Not sure that I would use a bike on Menandrou Street though, as there are usually lots of cars rolling past and, as mentioned before, clots of people along the sidewalks.

The rooms are quite spacious, the beds are comfy and clean, you are given a clean towel and facecloth (both still in their packages) upon arrival, there is a laptop to be used in the common area, and coffee is available 24/7. I didn't bring my laptop, but it's great that wifi is available in all the rooms. The TV has many English channels, including BBC and MTV. ;) There is air conditioning for summertime and a heater for the winter (I didn't know how to work the heater until my roommate on the 4th night asked the staff how to, so maybe ask for their help if you don't know how to work it either.)

Although I had read that there was an offer of 4-euro breakfasts at Soho when I was researching it, they seemed to have stopped that service when I was there (Jan 17-24, 2013).

The bathroom was clean, the toilet paper was well stocked, and the garbages were emptied every day. There are balconies in every room that are useful if you smoke. There's a little mini fridge to store your food in if you decide to get stuff from the mini markets near by (there are many!)

Overall, a wonderful hostel in an area with some shady people. But I am a solo female young traveler, and I was never accosted / robbed, and never had any problems other than the odd over-friendly/creepy person. My advice is to set out at 9/10AM to avoid the groups of men, and then return around 5, 7 or 8 at the latest. There are groups of policemen outside the hostel, which is comforting.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo