“Great central location...”
Review of Herodion Hotel

Herodion Hotel
Ranked #11 of 281 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I stayed at the Herodion the 1st week of February 2014. Trip Advisor's reviews and information was a primary factor in my decision to stay here.

The hotel front desk staff far outclassed the facility itself as far as I was concerned. They were polite, very friendly, and accommodating. When I checked in, my room wasn't ready so I went to the roof top to experience the views there. One of the gentlemen from the front desk located me on the roof top to let me know when my room was ready and apologized for the inconvenience. I thought this was very thoughtful and kind of took me by surprise.

Once I got squared away in my single room, I couldn't help but notice an odd odor that smelled like sewage gas coming from the bathroom. I ignored it for a while but through the first night it became noxious. After (2) days, I told the staff and they said they'd sent up a maintenance person to handle it.

The hotel staff didn't get back to me on this to let me know what the issue was but the smell had partially gone away although it was somewhat better than it previously was.

The room itself was small, this I expected. It was well worn with furniture showing significant signs of age and use. As reported by others, the beds weren't overly comfortable by North American standards as there was a non-box spring mattress that was placed on a hard wooden surface. The pillows were great by comparison.

The room itself was reasonably clean although the bathroom floors look like they hadn't been mopped for a while as there were obvious signs that it had not been. The sheets weren't changed every day, especially the mattress cover. I know this because the sheet was stained and I noticed it was the same one every evening I turned in for the night.

The "court yard view" the company lists on its website is an open shaft in the design of the hotel that offered no view other than a look inside the other rooms and the building materials and ladders on the basement floor. Not picturesque.

The un-obscured view of the Parthenon from the roof top is about as good as it gets from a hotel in the area. It was nice just to sit top side and view the sunset or flood lamps against the walls of the Acropolis and Parthenon. It was definitely a highlight of my stay at the Herodion.

The close proximity to the Acropolis Museum, the Acropolis entrance, and Plaka are definite advantages for the Herodion. There's also several pick-up locations for hop on/hop off bus tours a very short distance from the hotel, located just in front of the Acropolis Museum.

The daily breakfast was adequate though selection of items was marginal. The bacon needed to be cooked a lot more in my opinion but it was edible. Once again, the staff were excellent and truly a pleasure to talk to. I actually looked forward to saying good morning to the ladies that worked there.

The bar and restaurant area were very nice but I didn't make use of either during my stay.

Based on the convenient location and professional staff of the Herodion, I would recommend staying there. The actual quality of the room I stayed in (RM #225) was in my opinion below average.

Room Tip: Avoid the single rooms (especially #225) and ask to see your room before checking in.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Jeff B
Katia T, Manager at Herodion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Naturally I am disappointed to learn of you rating your stay so poorly and of the challenges that accompanied your stay with us. I am especially sorry that you were unable to let us know about your unhappiness during your stay, although Grigoris persistently inquired on your satisfaction, throughout your stay.

Specifically

All the beds of the hotel are made by COCO-Mat, a leader for natural sleep products in Europe. It is a three layer system comprising of a bed base, anatomic mattress and topper all with natural materials like natural rubber , completely metal free to offer you comfort, elasticity and support. Especially the top layer is filled with goose down that compliments the other two and supports even to the lightest part of the body. It is common to hear excellent comments especially from guests with spinal problems.

Marble is a porous material therefore we maintain and re-shine it regularly. We are in the process this winter again. Cleanliness is an indisputable issue. All bathrooms are cleaned perfectly every day .

Sheets are changed daily unless our clients ask otherwise . During your 5 day stay what you describe is utterly impossible.

Thank you for underlying the excellence of our staff, please note all you need is to ask of any special preferences such as your breakfast habits.

In addition, we kindly inform you that as far as room space is concerned, there are indeed smaller rooms than others in the very same way there are rooms with acropolis view, rooms with street view and so on, however room variety is a reality for most hotels.

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

In a city like Athens you want to be assured of peace and quiet and proximity to the main sights. This is our second visit to the Herodion because it ticks both boxes and also has friendly staff and a good breakfast buffet too. Plaka is a pleasant walk to the north east and there is a wide pedestrian promenade behind the hotel at the base of the Acropolis which was built for the 2004 Olympics and is a pleasant stroll to the Monastiraki area where we spend a lot of time exploring markets and shops selling everything from spices to fish via tools, army surplus and shoes. On a Sunday there is a flea market on this route where Athenians take the air. Standard rooms are basic. The nicer ones are on the 4th floor overlooking the Acropolis and the neighbourhood junior school. The roof terrace is a great place to catch some sun. We will be back. Book direct for the best prices.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carts123
Katia T, Manager at Herodion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Carts123

We are honoured to have earned a repeat visit, it was a pleasure to welcome you back!

Yes, you are right to keep checking our web site (and liking our face book page) for offers and traveling proposals.

We can't wait to say hello a third time, and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We were looking forward to our trip to athens and hoping that the hotel was good but it exceeded all our expectations! Ideal location , and perfect accommodation . We even invited our Greek friends over and they were impressed . Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ShropshireLauren

Dear Shropshier Lauren

We are exceptionally happy when we can exceed the expectations of TripAdvisor reviewers, and even more happy when they become ambassadors of our hotel to other Greeks! Thank you. It will be our honour to welcome you again when visiting again.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

We stayed at Herodion hotel for 2 nights in January 2014. Hotel reception were excellent: very nice and helpful and the rooms were great too. When we complained that our room was missing extra amenities (it was a superior double), they apologized and directly provided all that was missing. And the rooms were very clean and comfortable.

The hotel's breakfast was excellent. A very wide variety of food to suit all tastes and fresh orange juice was available.

We had dinner at their lobby restaurant. Food was good and the prices were very reasonable.

To sum up, Herodion hotel is an excellent choice for a visit to Athens.

Room Tip: superior double.. with acropolis view
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank carinez2014
Katia T, Manager at Herodion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear carinez2014

We are very proud to have earned your endorsement and recommendation. Thank you for choosing HERODION, and we hope your next trip may come about soon!

Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Location of the hotel is very nice, just next to Acropolis Museum and two minutes away from Akropoli metro station. Hotel has a nice, modernist design concept in the loby and bar areas. We stayed in the triple room at 3rd floor. Our room was looking a bit older but comfortable. I cannot stay it was "spotless clean" but average. There was a sliding door system opening to a french balcony which was overlooking the street.
Although the hotel is located on a central street, it was very silent during the night.
Bathroom was big enough and water pressure was fine. The only problem was the short separator on the bathtub, bc of this, after the shower all floor was wet.
Staff is very helpful, smiling and practical. Breakfast was satisfying but do not expect a large variety of food.
The only negative thing about the hotel was paid internet in the rooms (but free of charge in the lobby & bar area). I'm having difficulties in understanding it at this era of internet.
There is a roof terrace which you can use if the weather is fine during winter. It has a nice panoramic view of the city.

In general, I definitely recommend the hotel considering its reasonable price and good location.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear bunraku

Thank you for your time to write about your stay with us. We are proud to have earned your recommendation.
It is true that being a family run hotel gives us the chance to communicate a specific atmosphere to our guests, both through the attentiveness of our team as well as the hand picked designer’s and artist’s items that decorate all hotel areas.
The hotel’s location is an upscale Athenian neighborhood acknowledged for its proximity to the most important sites of antiquity, both of which you have so well enjoyed.
Among other aspects of our hotel for which we are proud are the 50 different variety of choices one is offered during the morning buffet breakfast mostly home and freshly made , of course the cleanliness for which we so often gain top score!

Please do not hesitate the check out our site with the best available rates and the packages with free internet.
We sincerely hope of having the opportunity to welcome you again back to HERODION HOTEL, and hopefully enjoy dinner at our roof top restaurant which you were acquainted with during a sunny winter day.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

If you want to have views of the Parthenon and be within walking distance of the Plaka and the metro, this is a good hotel. The rooms are neat and clean; the staff helpful. A meal on the roof looking at the Parthenon is a great way to end the day.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Dear WaterArt

It will be our honor to welcome you again, when visiting Athens, in our “great location” and terrace with the amazing view of the Acropolis.
Thank you for sharing the impressions of your stay with the Trip Advisor traveling community.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

First impressions count! Ours of Herodion was walking through a cloud of cigarette smoke at the front doors to get to reception. This was because the lobby and restaurant are smoke free but they allow smokers to sit on the ledge at the front door and puff away. Of course the smoke pours in when the doors open. I was then surprised to learn this hotel had smoking floors-wow is this the 80s still. The lobby and restaurant are beautiful but were unusable by me as an asthmatic as they constantly stank of smoke. Our room was clean, with plenty of storage space, but the beds were the most uncomfortable I've ever slept on(this was our 12th hotel on our 11month world trip). I asked the staff whether these were standard throughout the hotel and they were shocked to learn that I found then so uncomfortable. A 10cm mattress on a hard base isn't something I think most people will find comfortable. Sleeping was made even more difficult by the very loud air conditioner unit located within the central courtyard of the hotel. It turned on every 15 minutes and rattled away all night.
The staff are the reason this hotel is so highly rated. They are outstanding and will do almost anything to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. They moved us to a different room and while my bed was the same, my daughter slept on a pull out sofa lounge with a "normal" mattress and had a much better sleep for our last 2 nights.
The breakfast buffet is excellent, with a variety of choices to suit all tastes. The fresh OJ was a particular favourite.
This hotels location is also a plus. It's a 5 minutes walk to the Acropolis Museum and entrance and a few more to the subway. The roof top garden has a spectacular view of the acropolis, particular at night.
Would I stay in this hotel again, no I wouldn't, simply because of the smoking!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that face the Acropolis, the view is spectacular.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Natandymac

Dear Natadymac

The facts are that, we are a non-smoking hotel, only in one specific block of rooms smoking is allowed thus respecting our smokers-clients, which according to a review by the WHO in 2013 still account to ¼ of the adult population. Especially in our spacious non smoking lobby it is impossible to have any such negative smell from the outside entrance as the one you mention and of course the smoke cannot possibly pour in the hotel from some smokers that might happen to be sitting outside, through our two divisions of double automatic doors. The everyday reality shows that very few guests smoke outside the hotel , therefore your disappointment comes as a great surprise.
In respect to the quality of sleep, all our hotel has equipped with the Cocomat bedding system. COCO-Mat is a leader for natural sleep products in Europe. Our bedding system comprise of three layers, a bed base, mattress and topper all with natural materials like natural rubber , completely metal free to offer you comfort, elasticity and support. Especially the top layer is filled with goose down that compliments the other two and supports even to the lightest part of the body. It is important to us, as a family business to offer quality in all areas, It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy it.
We are also sorry that you did not address yourself to the front desk in respect to the loud air conditioner; our 24h maintenance service would have done everything in their power to solve the problem, if there was one.
Thank you for mentioning our hotel’s impeccable cleanliness, the outstanding staff, the excellent breakfast and the ‘plus’ of our location.