“Acceptable”

Ranked #226 of 325 Hotels in Athens
Seattle, Washington
“Acceptable”
Reviewed 1 October 2007

The Grand O is a good hotel with a young, excellent, friendly, and helpful staff.. I arrived to find that my travel person had booked 2 rooms for me. The staff quickly solved the problem. I went to my room, found a minor problem with the sink stopper and the staff promptly solved that problem. I also managed to drop my cell phone in a cab, and the staff managed to track the phone down for me.

The room was not large, but acceptable. It was on the interior of the hotel with only a small window, but this shielded me from the non-stop noise from Omonia Square. The window couldn't be opened, but there is a climate control sysytem for the room. The room was kept very clean. Interestingly, the bathroom door is made of glass providing a full view of someone using the shower or toilet. Not a problem for me, but my friend asked me to go buy a newspaper when she had to borrow my room to freshen up.

Two tiny elevators are positioned in the hotel cafe (2 persons with modest suitcases are a maximum). The wireless internet was average over my 8 day stay (login requried a couple of tries, and the service was unavailable for the first 2 days). Breakfast is good, but not included in the room charge, and pricey at 12 euros. Best idea is to visit the local eateries for a pastry, juice, and coffee for 5 euros.

The hotel is immediately adjacent to the Omonia square and metro stop, making it very accessible to the rest of the city. You can easily take the metro from the airport to Symtagma square, switch lines and get off at Omonia next tot he hotel. However, the Omonia area is not very desirable at night. The hotel is very safe, with a security guard posted at the door 24/7.

I would not hesitate to revisit the Grand O.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — Omonia Square denizens
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank pabl01neum

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Molaoi, Greece
Reviewed 10 September 2007

This hotel is OK for anyone wanting an overnight stop and is reasonable value for money. The room I stayed in had a six foot bed, nice bathroom and all you would need for one night.

Two possible downsides - my room had a small window with no view. The upside of that was it meant no traffic noise.

The other downside (and this was really bizarre) was that the room contained a large inflatable chair, bright red in colour which clashed horrifically with the decor, and also a large pouffe. Together, these took up nearly half the available floor space and restricted access to the wardrobe. All that was really needed was a couple of small chairs. My wife wanted to throw these into the corridor but we decided not to for safety reasons. There was also a pile of boxes in a recess in the corridor containing more of these abominations so more rooms will no doubt get the 'benefit' of them.

This wouldn't be my first choice in Athens but I would stay again if pushed. Definitely not 5* though - 3 at best.

• Liked — Reasonably convenient for central Athens attractions
  • Disliked — Furniture in room
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
4 Thank philhellene
AlexPapanikolaou, General manager at Classical Fashion House Hotel, responded to this review, 29 September 2007
Dear Guest,

Thank you very for your valuable comments during your recent stay at the Classical Grand O Hotel.
It has been scheduled that therefurbishment works at the Classical Grand O Hotel will have been completed by the end of the current year and all guest rooms and public areas will be redesigned in a completely new concept, combining old-world charm and modern luxury.
At the moment we are in the phase of trying new things such as new pieces of furniture, modern gadgets, unique fashion designers ideas etc. The feedback that we receive from our guests during this trial period will help to correct things and place the Classical Grand O Hotel, in the standard of services issue, as higher as possible.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back at the Brand New Grand O Hotel at your earliest convenience.
We greatly appreciate your time and your helpful comments.

Yours sincerely,
Alexandros Papanikolaou
Acropol & Grand O Hotel
Toronto
Reviewed 22 August 2007

I usually research my hotels before booking them and I wish I took the time to further research this hotel. The hotel is in a way too busy part of the city, right by Omonia Square filled with homeless people, drug addicts, and people with too much time on their hands overall. We had no balcony and our room was a closet. It barely fit our luggage and our view was that of a brick wall. For what we paid, I was outraged and I am thinking about complaining as the hotel is no where near a 5 star. Grossly over-priced, in a nasty (don't fall for the often posted "trendy" you may find on websites) part of town, and I would never stay here again. In fact, you couldn't pay me to stay here again. The only positive thing I have to say is the hotel staff was quite helpful and there is a Gregory's around the corner where one could get a decent coffee and pie. That's it. Save your money---go elsewhere when looking for accomodations in Athens.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — everything else...location, rooms, views, price,.....
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank crtnqt

Travellers are raving about these Athens hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2007

What I can I say we had a very small room with no balcony, we were on the first floor and overlooked Omonia Square which is where all the drug addicts come for there fix. We were kept up all night by the noise from the square. The main areas of the hotel are nice but the small very average rooms and poor area make this hotel an unpleasant place to stay. I would give it 2 stars.You can do a lot better than this hotel for the same price. The walk to Plaka is about 25 minutes and that is a much nicer area but very touristy.

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank Moduline
london
Reviewed 7 July 2007

We were told about this hotel by our travel agent and were told it was a lovely 5 star hotel. We got there quite late and the check in was smooth, taken upto the room and were very disappointed. The rooms are no way 5 star, not to say that they are terrible, just average. The lighting in the room was really dull making the room seem even more gloomy, the interior was definately not 'hip and modern' as suggested.

The next morning we went down for breakfast to find almost nothing for vegetarians! The breakfast menu stayed the same the whole 5 days we were there, no variety at all! The breakfast staff was very rude and not welcomming at all.

The air conditioning would give off a funny smell every morning, not pleasant at all, when we contacted the reception desk to complain about the smell we were told it was quite normal and not to worry.

Overall the hotel was ok, i wouldn't stay there agian. Average hotel.

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank j7777
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 20 June 2007

Not a 5 stars for sure. Me and my friends had booked a double and a single and ended up being told upon arrival that only a triple was available for the first night due to an alleged leak in the hotel. Actually there was an invasion of teens with a class trip for the night and as they probably did not have enough rooms wanted to free some space.

Anyway, as we were pretty tired and did not feel like arguing at the moment we said ok but the so-called triple was actually a double featuring a tinny campaign third bed. Went back to the reception and asked for the single that we finally got. But the surprises did not end here.

The bathroom door in the double was literally transparent, which I did not find amusing. Then the door to the balcony did not open and when we called at the reception we've been told that only hotel staff could open/close it for security reasons of some sort. I did not see the logic since the balcony was anyway common to all rooms and in cases like this the doors should only be opened from the inside.

Omonia Square as a location is terrible too, with lots of homeless/drug staff around and quite noisy during the night.

The room was however clean (although definitely not 5 stars design and furniture) and breakfast decent. The view from our room (last floor I think) was nice.

There are a lot of 5 stars hotels in Athens, so you'd better choose carefully and ask for recommendations before booking.

• Liked — View from the balcony
  • Disliked — Room and location
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Alina781
Kansas City
Reviewed 15 February 2007

Hotel was very centrally located and clean but the neighborhood was not the best. There were lots of drug addicts in the area and the hotel even had someone out front to keep them away from the guests who were outside having coffee.

1 Thank mgc777