“Bedbugs! Beware!!!”

Ranked #224 of 325 Hotels in Athens
Juba, South Sudan
“Bedbugs! Beware!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2007

Beware when you stay at this hotel (which I hope any and all avoid doing) because the place is infested with BEDBUGS! To find out more about those awful things, visit: [----] While that was my biggest problem with the place, there was more...the room we were in had only one window in the bathroom so it felt like being in a dungeon. And apparently their heating/cooling system didn't work because while we were there we called to ask about the sweltering heat and the only thing they could provide was a bellhop to come and open the windows to
the noisy street so we could leave them open to get air (and more bugs, smells, etc.). The place was under construction, although nobody (including hotels.com) told us that prior to booking and there was no restaurant so we had to go to another hotel and get our breakfast -- which kind of defeats the purpose of getting breakfast at your hotel...no pajamas and bagels for us. I would AVOID THIS PLACE
at all costs. Its not worth the over $100 price tag on the rooms and the worry that you will be taking home with you a serious bug infestation problem. BEWARE!!!

• Liked — The front doors were pretty
  • Disliked — Bedbugs!!!!
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank DCglobetrotter07

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Estoril, Portugal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2007

First Hotel Me and My Wife stayed on during our visit to Greece. We were doing a visit from Athens following to The Cyclades Islands (Mykonos, Paros, Delos and Santorini) of about 2 weeks time :)

We've stayed here for 2 nights and had some serious incidents with the lobby guy. For the last day of our stay we've asked in advance for a picnic breakfast for the next day as we were leaving very early to catch the boat to the islands. They accepted the request with no problem. After dinner, in the same day we stopped at the reception for checking things to leave the next day, and were surprised with the response that they didn't have any booking for the picnic breakfast and couldn't get it anymore as the kitchen was already closed. We insisted with the lobby guy as this was not a good service for a hotel of that sort. The breakfast lady was also at the reception and intervened by suggesting that they could leave a small breakfast at the cafeteria which suited us very well. The day after, we went back to the cafeteria for the so called small breakfast and we got: coffee, milk, cake and fried toasts. No butter or jelly! We went to the lobby and once more there was the same guy from last night. We asked for some butter or so for the toast and he said he couldn't help as the cafeteria wasn't open yet as it was too early and there was nothing more to say. We weren't pleased and asked for the complaint book (which is standard in EEU). First he pointed for the guest dedication book (we said it wasn't it), then pointed to the suggestion box! (Once more, it wasn't the complaint book), finally he said, and i quote: «We haven't got it here. This is Europe»!!!!
No comment! (By the way: we are from Europe) It would be funny if not sad.

The Hotel: This is a 5 star (for Greek standards) city hotel located on a uncharacteristic building of about 7 floors. The lobby is small with the reception, and a small cafeteria. The access to the rooms is made trough 2 very tinny elevators. On the 1st floor is the restaurant which is ok.

The Location: Good, on The Omonia square and with very good accesses (metro) so you can go everywhere from here. Good security - round the clock doorman, but the Omonia Square attracts some bad crowd.

The Room: Relatively small and not very interesting. It was although clean. The door to the bathroom has glass! but it doesn't bother us as we're a couple.

The Restaurant: 'A la card' service or buffet. The first we didn't try because it doesn't pay as the food is the same from the buffet. Not a very large selection of dishes, considering the 5 stars. Food buffet offer was not refilled for salads and deserts. There was literally no fruit available. Breakfast was nice though.

The Staff: Restaurant people where nice, specially the table lady. The lobby guy is a different thing. Very strict and impolite.

The Services: Cafeteria and Restaurant.

General Opinion: Definitely not a 5 star. Bad welcoming from the lobby. Not our first choice, but the ones we wanted were full Hera and Titania). If the is a next time we definitely wont go here, and try Titania instead.

Not worthy!

• Liked — Bed.
  • Disliked — Lobby staff.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Pedrosimp

Travellers are raving about these Athens hotels

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2007

The Grand O is a good hotel with a young, excellent, friendly, and helpful staff.. I arrived to find that my travel person had booked 2 rooms for me. The staff quickly solved the problem. I went to my room, found a minor problem with the sink stopper and the staff promptly solved that problem. I also managed to drop my cell phone in a cab, and the staff managed to track the phone down for me.

The room was not large, but acceptable. It was on the interior of the hotel with only a small window, but this shielded me from the non-stop noise from Omonia Square. The window couldn't be opened, but there is a climate control sysytem for the room. The room was kept very clean. Interestingly, the bathroom door is made of glass providing a full view of someone using the shower or toilet. Not a problem for me, but my friend asked me to go buy a newspaper when she had to borrow my room to freshen up.

Two tiny elevators are positioned in the hotel cafe (2 persons with modest suitcases are a maximum). The wireless internet was average over my 8 day stay (login requried a couple of tries, and the service was unavailable for the first 2 days). Breakfast is good, but not included in the room charge, and pricey at 12 euros. Best idea is to visit the local eateries for a pastry, juice, and coffee for 5 euros.

The hotel is immediately adjacent to the Omonia square and metro stop, making it very accessible to the rest of the city. You can easily take the metro from the airport to Symtagma square, switch lines and get off at Omonia next tot he hotel. However, the Omonia area is not very desirable at night. The hotel is very safe, with a security guard posted at the door 24/7.

I would not hesitate to revisit the Grand O.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — Omonia Square denizens
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank pabl01neum
Molaoi, Greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2007

This hotel is OK for anyone wanting an overnight stop and is reasonable value for money. The room I stayed in had a six foot bed, nice bathroom and all you would need for one night.

Two possible downsides - my room had a small window with no view. The upside of that was it meant no traffic noise.

The other downside (and this was really bizarre) was that the room contained a large inflatable chair, bright red in colour which clashed horrifically with the decor, and also a large pouffe. Together, these took up nearly half the available floor space and restricted access to the wardrobe. All that was really needed was a couple of small chairs. My wife wanted to throw these into the corridor but we decided not to for safety reasons. There was also a pile of boxes in a recess in the corridor containing more of these abominations so more rooms will no doubt get the 'benefit' of them.

This wouldn't be my first choice in Athens but I would stay again if pushed. Definitely not 5* though - 3 at best.

• Liked — Reasonably convenient for central Athens attractions
  • Disliked — Furniture in room
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
4 Thank philhellene
AlexPapanikolaou, General manager at Classical Fashion House Hotel, responded to this review, 29 September 2007
Dear Guest,

Thank you very for your valuable comments during your recent stay at the Classical Grand O Hotel.
It has been scheduled that therefurbishment works at the Classical Grand O Hotel will have been completed by the end of the current year and all guest rooms and public areas will be redesigned in a completely new concept, combining old-world charm and modern luxury.
At the moment we are in the phase of trying new things such as new pieces of furniture, modern gadgets, unique fashion designers ideas etc. The feedback that we receive from our guests during this trial period will help to correct things and place the Classical Grand O Hotel, in the standard of services issue, as higher as possible.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back at the Brand New Grand O Hotel at your earliest convenience.
We greatly appreciate your time and your helpful comments.

Yours sincerely,
Alexandros Papanikolaou
Acropol & Grand O Hotel
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2007

I usually research my hotels before booking them and I wish I took the time to further research this hotel. The hotel is in a way too busy part of the city, right by Omonia Square filled with homeless people, drug addicts, and people with too much time on their hands overall. We had no balcony and our room was a closet. It barely fit our luggage and our view was that of a brick wall. For what we paid, I was outraged and I am thinking about complaining as the hotel is no where near a 5 star. Grossly over-priced, in a nasty (don't fall for the often posted "trendy" you may find on websites) part of town, and I would never stay here again. In fact, you couldn't pay me to stay here again. The only positive thing I have to say is the hotel staff was quite helpful and there is a Gregory's around the corner where one could get a decent coffee and pie. That's it. Save your money---go elsewhere when looking for accomodations in Athens.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — everything else...location, rooms, views, price,.....
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank crtnqt
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2007

What I can I say we had a very small room with no balcony, we were on the first floor and overlooked Omonia Square which is where all the drug addicts come for there fix. We were kept up all night by the noise from the square. The main areas of the hotel are nice but the small very average rooms and poor area make this hotel an unpleasant place to stay. I would give it 2 stars.You can do a lot better than this hotel for the same price. The walk to Plaka is about 25 minutes and that is a much nicer area but very touristy.

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank Moduline
london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2007

We were told about this hotel by our travel agent and were told it was a lovely 5 star hotel. We got there quite late and the check in was smooth, taken upto the room and were very disappointed. The rooms are no way 5 star, not to say that they are terrible, just average. The lighting in the room was really dull making the room seem even more gloomy, the interior was definately not 'hip and modern' as suggested.

The next morning we went down for breakfast to find almost nothing for vegetarians! The breakfast menu stayed the same the whole 5 days we were there, no variety at all! The breakfast staff was very rude and not welcomming at all.

The air conditioning would give off a funny smell every morning, not pleasant at all, when we contacted the reception desk to complain about the smell we were told it was quite normal and not to worry.

Overall the hotel was ok, i wouldn't stay there agian. Average hotel.

Stayed July 2007