“Tired Rooms but Great Location and Amenities”

Electra Palace Athens
Ranked #15 of 325 Hotels in Athens
Boston
“Tired Rooms but Great Location and Amenities”
Reviewed 23 September 2010

We stayed in this hotel for two nights in September 2010. My impressions are mostly positive. It is very well situated in the plaka area - about a 10-15 minute walk from the entrance to the acropolis and near a metro for other sites. The lobby is large and airy with an attractive breakfast area where you can sit outside on a patio or under a gazebo or inside. It has a beautiful rooftop bar and outdoor pool area that has a view of the acropolis. Both days my husband and I took advantage of the outdoor pool and the chaise lounges after a day of site-seeing and it was just what the doctor ordered. Pool was well-kept, very clean. It also has an indoor pool area - my experience there was a little more bizarre - the attendant wandered off right after I got there and didn't return - the indoor pool was too cool and I didn't know how to turn on the whirlpool (sans attendant) but I did enjoy the steam room and sauna. The fact that there were all these facilities and the best breakfast I had on my 10 day Greece/Europe trip for this price, tell me that this is still a value gem despite some minor criticisms. My criticisms are that the standard room is very dated in furnishings (think 70s) and very small. I couldn't really unpack everything. If you go, I'd pay more for a larger room. I felt like the cleaning staff did a great job but the age of the furnishings meant the room never felt completely new and fresh to me. One afternoon we asked a front desk clerk to tell us the route to the acropolis at about 5:45 - I think he should have known that the wonderful tourism office had truncated hours for the acropolis so that tourists were being asked to come down at 6:30. I'm not saying the front desk staff needs to know every tourist detail but that is a major one. No harm no foul, we went up the next morning. Ask to see a few rooms before committing but I think this is still a great place to stay because of its amenities.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (670)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 20 September 2010

Location: excellent. Walking distance to all the sights, the shops and the public transport to the coast and the airport.
Reception/staff: dedicated, kind & professional. A combination rarely found.
Room: our junior suite was spacious, clean and stylish. The bed was rather firm, but that seems the case all over Greece.
Breakfast: excellent breakfast buffet, with some seating in the garden but one had to be lucky to actually find a place free there.
Inside swimmingpool and fitness facilities: tiny, not really worth while.
Rooftop swimmingpool: somewhat bigger, with some sunchairs, a jacuzzi and ofcourse the amazing view of the Acropolis. Can be crowded in the late afternoon, but excellent for a morning swim.
Our favourite hotel in Athens!

Reviewed 15 September 2010

The location of the hotel is dead on! It's walking distance from the main street where all the shops/restaurants are located that leads to Acropolis and other sites. We did not need a car/taxi/public transportation during our stay here. The room is a tad small but very clean and modern. Bathroom is very clean with brand new fixtures. The hotel has a roof top pool and bar with great views of the Acropolis. The only complain we had was the beds - we had 2 rooms both with 2 twin beds (tiny) and the mattresses although not rocks are very springy and not comfortable at all. If the hotel can fix these mattresses I think this place would be a gem!

Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 14 September 2010

The hotel's location near to the Platka, and the hotel's rooftop view of the Acropolis make this hotel ideal for a visit in Athens. The reception staff was accomodating, having mentioning our recent sojourns, they upgraded our room to a junior suite. The roof top pool, inside pool / spa and fitness room amenities afforded relaxation only steps away from your room. The room accomodations are 5 star, with the usual twin beds pushed together to create a king bed. We will surely stay here again when visiting Athens.

australia
Reviewed 13 September 2010

We booked 3 nights at the Electra Palace because they had a very good special on at the time. it is a very elegant hotel with all the bells and whistles. The staff are fantastic and friendly and I can honestly not fault them at all. There was a few things I was disappinted with, however we got it at such a good rate I cant complain. If i was paying full price I would not return to the hotel. Firstly even though children under 2 stay free, they charge 15 euro a night for a baby cot. I found this ridiculous as this is the first hotel in all my overseas travel that wanted to charge for a baby cot. I didnt like this at all so instead my daughter slept on the bed between us. The beds are pretty uncomfortable, two singles pushed together, but they had some sort of plastic under the sheets which made a horrible sound every time you moved and made them all the more uncomfortable. I dont know if they were mattress protectors or just very starchy sheets.
Everything else about the hotel was great. Its well located in Plaka and a short distance from the shopping district. As mentioned the staff are wonderful in all aspects, the breakfast is lovely and there is a gorgeous garden to sit in and enjoy your meal.The rooftop pool is great, as is the indoor one. The facilities at this hotel exceed all other hotels in Athens and they really do cater to everyone. I would definately return again if the price was right as i thoroughly enjoyed my stay, but just wanted to make other families aware of their baby cot policy

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank natski81
Sydney
Reviewed 12 September 2010

We stayed at the Electra very briefly - we arrived in the evening and left very early the next morning in order to take the ferry to the islands. However, even in my very short stay, I was impressed with this hotel. The staff were very friendly and organised - all of our transfer tickets etc from our travel agent were presented to us on arrival. They were able to assist us with booking a taxi for the morning.

Unfortunately we arrived after sunset and the pool was closed. But nevertheless, we were able to enjoy the roof top views, which are great. I wished we had arrived earlier for a dip in the pool and to watch the sunset.

Our room was mid-sized and clean. Our juliet style balcony opened up onto a courtyard. I imagine there are some rooms with amazing views of the Acropolis, you should probably try to request one when you make your reservation.

All in all, a comfortable hotel that met our needs for a one-night stopover in Athens.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Arizona
Reviewed 11 September 2010

We (myself, my husband, and 20-something daughter) spent two nights here and loved the location, the view, and the breakfast. The view of the Acropolis from the roof is absolutely incredible and not to be missed. The hotel itself is nice and very clean. The rooms were small but the location made up for it. We thought the hotel was very reasonably priced, also. The included full buffet breakfast was very nice as was the outside seating. We'd most definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple