“Very good hotel in excellent location”

Electra Palace Athens
Ranked #14 of 326 Hotels in Athens
New York
“Very good hotel in excellent location”
Reviewed 3 October 2010

We recently stayed here for 2 nights in early September. It's a very good hotel and the location is perfect, just off the posh Plaka area. The hotel is a smallish hotel and has a lovely garden outside the breakfast area. The rooms are good - we had 3 rooms on the 5th floor. We had upgraded to superior rooms and it was worth it, as the rooms had balconies and glorious Acropolis views (amazing particularly at night). The rooms are good, smallish for the rates, but that's to be expected in Europe. The beds were hard but I understand that's the way it is. One minor issue was that the tub in the bathroom had only a half glass door so at the time of a shower, the water would spray all over the bathroom floor - not the best design. Breakfast is very good, fresh eggs and orange juice, very lavish. The best part of staying here is the location - you are literally 2 minutes walk from the main shopping and eating district of the Plaka, with wonderful shopping and many restaurant choices, some overlooking the Acropolis. While I agree it's not on par with U.S. five-stars, I think it's an excellent choice for its good rooms and super location, and compared to other five stars such as the Hilton and NJV Plaza which are more far off, it's one of the best places to stay.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank BabyBearNewYork

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (690)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 September 2010

I can't recommend this hotel enough! We stayed five days in this hotel and found it to be ideal. I note that prior to the trip, I panicked based on the bad reviews here and almost cancelled and went to the Grande Bretagne. I am thankful we did not. The location and the view are two significant advantages to the hotel, even if the GB is "fancier". Location - perfect - on the edge of both the plaka and the more "regular" commercial neighborhood. You can go to the tourist places or to the grocery store or Syntagma Square around the corner. Easy walk to most any site: acropolis and its museum, flea market, agora complex, Lalaounis museum, etc. AND and easy walk to, for example, Sephora, or the pharmacy if you need lipstick or more toothpaste. Outdoor pool is lovely with fantastic view of the acropolis (part of the parthenon) and refreshing after long day on your feet. Also, check out the rooftop terrace for more breathtaking views. Breakfast is good - courtyard is lovely for eating outside. We had room 503 - nice sized, corner room with balcony and view of the acropolis- FAB! (Our friends had another room and it was fine (I'd still be writing nice review if I had had that room), but not quite as nice). The beds are harder than we are used to, but my husband asked for a mattress pad, which they priovided, no charge, and it helped a lot. The whole place was very clean and the staff was helpful and kind. (yes, the rooms decor is kind of faded, but clean nonetheless). Helpfulness examples: (1) they gave us mattress pad and remade our bed without complaint or the longsuffering looks that French (just to pick a place. . . ) housekeeping staff give you, (2) I thought I'd left my ipod in the bed, so the houskeeper when through the dirty laundry looking for it for me (until I ashamedly discovered I had tucked it into my purse), (3) the desk would tell us roughly how much a given taxi ride would cost, and if the cabbie tired to charge more, the desk guy offered to come out and argue in Greek for us.
To those reviewers who say it was not "really" a five star hotel or tired - well, I can only say if you want the Westin Chicago, just don't go to Athens! Frankly, the whole city is slightly faded, but clean and beautiful nonetheless.
PS - for any meal we suggest the restaurant Tzitzikas kai Mermigas, about 2 blocks from the hotel at 26 Aischilou - best meal we had in Greece and full of "real" Greeks. There is also a pie shop (entree and dessert pies) and a lovely pastry/coffee shop on the same street - all good. Get some take out pies and dessert and eat on the roof deck. Divine!
The dinner/lunch food in the hotel seemed fine (did not eat there) but boring and trying too hard to be "fine dining". The room service menu was funny -- like a Greek's idea of what British or American people want for room serivce.

Also - to wax on - I've travelled a lot but never before to Greece. I loved it and part of what made it so pleasant was the politeness and kindness of the people. Even the "agressive" shopkeers on the plaka streets were more polite and gracious than your ordinary New Yorker in the subway.

1 Thank KristyneA
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Just stayed one night after sailing around the Islands, we needed somewhere close to metro and train station, so handy for travelling to the airport the next day and close to the sights in case we had time to visit them. This hotel fitted the bill perfectly, 7 mins walk from Syntagma square. Rooms were good, ours looked over the back of the hotel which was ok and nice and quiet, good fittings and comfy beds, the shampoos and lotions were also good. Ate in the restaurant with fantastic views of the Acropolis, we went for the taster menu 70 euros or 90 with wine for 7 courses. Sounds expensive but choosing three courses off the main menu would be about the same so it did represent good value in a strange way and it was excellent a very special experience and a nice end to the holiday, Breakfast was also good plenty of choice, fresh orange etc although you would need a strong stomach to eat chocolate mousse in the morning! we sat outside in the garden which was very pleasant away from the hussle and bussle.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
thessaloniki , greece
Reviewed 25 September 2010

Excellent location in the heart of Athens , close to Acropolis and Syndagma square. Great internal garden for having breakfast. ( Breakfast was just ok , nothing special)
Visit the roof garden of the hotel , to have a stunning view of the Acropolis , while having a drink or a light snak.

Boston
Reviewed 23 September 2010

We stayed in this hotel for two nights in September 2010. My impressions are mostly positive. It is very well situated in the plaka area - about a 10-15 minute walk from the entrance to the acropolis and near a metro for other sites. The lobby is large and airy with an attractive breakfast area where you can sit outside on a patio or under a gazebo or inside. It has a beautiful rooftop bar and outdoor pool area that has a view of the acropolis. Both days my husband and I took advantage of the outdoor pool and the chaise lounges after a day of site-seeing and it was just what the doctor ordered. Pool was well-kept, very clean. It also has an indoor pool area - my experience there was a little more bizarre - the attendant wandered off right after I got there and didn't return - the indoor pool was too cool and I didn't know how to turn on the whirlpool (sans attendant) but I did enjoy the steam room and sauna. The fact that there were all these facilities and the best breakfast I had on my 10 day Greece/Europe trip for this price, tell me that this is still a value gem despite some minor criticisms. My criticisms are that the standard room is very dated in furnishings (think 70s) and very small. I couldn't really unpack everything. If you go, I'd pay more for a larger room. I felt like the cleaning staff did a great job but the age of the furnishings meant the room never felt completely new and fresh to me. One afternoon we asked a front desk clerk to tell us the route to the acropolis at about 5:45 - I think he should have known that the wonderful tourism office had truncated hours for the acropolis so that tourists were being asked to come down at 6:30. I'm not saying the front desk staff needs to know every tourist detail but that is a major one. No harm no foul, we went up the next morning. Ask to see a few rooms before committing but I think this is still a great place to stay because of its amenities.

Reviewed 20 September 2010

Location: excellent. Walking distance to all the sights, the shops and the public transport to the coast and the airport.
Reception/staff: dedicated, kind & professional. A combination rarely found.
Room: our junior suite was spacious, clean and stylish. The bed was rather firm, but that seems the case all over Greece.
Breakfast: excellent breakfast buffet, with some seating in the garden but one had to be lucky to actually find a place free there.
Inside swimmingpool and fitness facilities: tiny, not really worth while.
Rooftop swimmingpool: somewhat bigger, with some sunchairs, a jacuzzi and ofcourse the amazing view of the Acropolis. Can be crowded in the late afternoon, but excellent for a morning swim.
Our favourite hotel in Athens!

Reviewed 15 September 2010

The location of the hotel is dead on! It's walking distance from the main street where all the shops/restaurants are located that leads to Acropolis and other sites. We did not need a car/taxi/public transportation during our stay here. The room is a tad small but very clean and modern. Bathroom is very clean with brand new fixtures. The hotel has a roof top pool and bar with great views of the Acropolis. The only complain we had was the beds - we had 2 rooms both with 2 twin beds (tiny) and the mattresses although not rocks are very springy and not comfortable at all. If the hotel can fix these mattresses I think this place would be a gem!