“A great place to stay in Athens”

Golden Age Hotel Athens
Ranked #41 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Stayed during September 2011. A great hotel, excellent reception, bar and restaurant staff were exceptional.
Clean and well cared for rooms and the food/drinks were very reasonable.

• Stayed: September 2011

Reviewed 20 September 2011

Very nice hotel- good location very close to the metro and Athens city center. The reception staff were very nice and helpful. The room and beds were small but had a nice balcony overlooking a park. The breakfast buffet was good with a variety of options and very friendly staff. Within walking distance of several nice tavernas.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Very pleasant and comfortable room on the front of the hotel overlooking the park. Efficient double glazing meant we heard no traffic; efficient and quiet air-conditioning kept us cool in the blazing Athens weather. Breakfast was varied and plentiful, and the public and bar areas light and airy and welcoming. Staff very helpful and friendly. All-in-all a first class stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2011

it's a very good hotel.clean and quiet.near the city center.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2011

The reception staff were quite kind and helpful. I stayed in a double room, which was spacious enough and I was lucky to get a street view, which was nice. I loved the breakfast buffet,great food and efficient staff...The dinner menu,not sumptuous,had to walk to the nearby Hilton Hotel Athens to grab to-our-taste evening bite,though the service was great...The air conditioning needs an overhaul though,twas the old type with not much breeze at max..The lack of a swimming pool is a no no for such a nice place...Overall,it was a great place to stay,I would definitely recommend...

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 July 2011

This is listed as a 4 star hotel. I'm not sure by whom because it certainly is not a 4 star. The room was clean and comfortable. Everything worked but the weird thing was that it had a balcony with a chair and table but I couldn't get to it. The door opened like a window, and there was no way that a person could possibly fit through it. The walls are paper thin, and I could hear the people in the room next door talking and going to the bathroom. Breakfast was good with a variety of food. The staff was friendly but a couple of them were not very helpful. I asked one of them where I could get postage stamps and he acted like I asked where I could buy a blue cow. I walked over to the Hilton and bought them in the gift shop. Also, he advised me that there was simply nothing that I could see or do in Athens because of the protests. Fortunately, I didn't listen to him. I took the Metro to the Acropolis and had a great day.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank HistoryGuy1517
mgiamas, Owner at Golden Age Hotel Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2011

Dear Sir,

As the owners of the Golden age of Athens, we would like to apologize for the inconveniences during your stay with us. We take your comments very seriously
because they are very helpful to us as we try to continually improve the level of service and facilities we provide. Services and facilities upon which we have been awarded 4* by the Greek Tourism Board, a rating system which can vary from country to country. We fully understand your expectations may be different according to justified comparisons you make during your many travels.
All our balconies are accessible through the balcony door which opens fully, however it also has an optional setting which sets the door to lean slightly open to allow for aeration while still providing security. It is possible that the door was set in this inclined position, and just by asking, any staff member would be more than willing to help show you how to get the door to open fully allowing you easy access to the table and chairs outside. We say any staff member except of course the receptionist who clearly was not at all helpful or forthcoming with information and for this please accept our sincere apologies.
It is these kinds of rare incidents that your review will help us deal with so that it does not occur again.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about The Golden Age and we hope to serve you again in the future.

Your sincerely
Marita Tsafos (CEO), Menelaos Giamas(VP)

Reviewed 12 June 2011

The hotel is placed in the Athens city center and is close to several tourist destinations such as Syntagma Square and the Hellenic Parliament building, Plaka, Monesteraki, Acropolis and Lycabettus Hill/Church of St. Georges. The most exceptional component was the supportive and friendly hotel staff. They went above and beyond to guide me to tourist destinations, arrange transportation, answer questions. The cleaning staff is also great. One day I came back to find my room arranged and clothes neatly folded or hanged in the closet. The hotel staff is their strongest point. The breakfast buffet is incredible. Will definitely consider when I come back.

Th only problem is that their AC unit is not connected to the thermostat, so keep it on and you may freeze but keep it off and you may feel the heat ... it cannot be programmed.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business