“VERY disappointing”

Ranked #115 of 325 Hotels in Athens
Congleton, United Kingdom
“VERY disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

The photo's of the hotel look good and so I booked to stay here. The rooms are very clean and spacious and the bathroom is fairly clean along with the lobby and resturant area - the beds are very comfy. The reception staff are polite but not very helpful. The hotel is a smoking hotel and so despite the rooms being clean the musky smell of smoke lingers and the smell of other guests in the hotel smoking comes through into the room and stinks out the hallway. The heating goes off at 11:30pm even in winter and so trying to sleep is hard in the cold, I had to use 3 blankets to keep warm. The breakfast is very basic but overall the food is enough to fuel for the day. The best thing about this hotel is the location, the location is fantastic being just off the main shopping street and a short walk from tourist attractions - but really that is the only good thing. I would not stay here again and I definitely do not think that this hotel is value for money - very disappointed.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Emily B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

İt is very close the sintagma and ermo street.You can walk easıly to plaka and pantaheon.Nice location also ıf you walk ten minutes to the monastraki metro station you can reach every where .Also sintagma metro station is very close.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Tunc K
Sussex, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

I arrived late in Athens, hence checked in late. To my surprise I was not in the hotel booking list though I booked my whole Athens holiday two months in advance fully paid via Thomas Cook. This happened to me twice now, last spring in Paris and with the same travel agent. George who was at the reception at that time was sympathetic to me hence, he gave me the spare room which was for a family, the room was so spacious and really good, however it was noisy outside but it didn't bother me. The following day I went back to the reception and Voula was very attentive and friendly as she said they found my booking reference hence I have to move to another room which was really nice, very clean double bed and was very comfortable, room was spacious with balcony so I was really happy. Breakfast was good and really enjoyed real Greek yougurt. The location of the hotel is perfect, walking distance to great sites. All the staff at Achilleas hotel were friendly and helpful. I deffinitely will come back to Athens and will book Achilleas hotel

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Cio2013
Athens, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

We were very impressed with our stay at the Achilleas Hotel. The rooms were up to date and clean. I mentioned prior to our arrival that it was my boyfriend's birthday and a bottle of champagne was waiting in the room! We immediately enjoyed a glass on our room's balcony. There are many nearby bars and cafes that are open fairly late. From Syntagma Station it is only a three minute walk to the hotel and only a twenty minute walk to the Acropolis. Our overall stay was wonderful and the staff was very generous. They provided us with a map in the beginning and had answers to all of our questions. They also provided us with a wake up call when we had an early flight to catch the last morning. I would highly suggest this hotel to anyone visiting Athens.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Shannon M
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Nestled in among the tiny lined streets is this small hotel/excellent customer service/front desk/maids/food staff...Best breakfast and introduction to morning greek food/flat screen tv/fridge/and non smoking clean room//Walking distance to all attractions and transportation..Downside the weekend noise level very high...small lift...

Room Tip: The noise level fri/sat from the neighborhood bars/staff is aware of the problem ask them to accommo...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank penelope1945
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

My husband and I originally booked a two night stay here and as soon as we entered the room I started crying! The room was completely outdated and it was dirty. The beds were hard as a rock and the blankets had holes in them. We immediately went out searching for a new hotel to stay in. We returned a couple of hours later and checked out. This hotel should be called a hostel because that is exactly what it is. Unfortunately we booked this way in advance so we could not get our money back, but we had no problem spending an additional $600 to stay in a better hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laurie s

Travellers are raving about these Athens hotels

San Diego, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

49 Pictures and 149 Reviews...yet NO ONE takes a picture of the bathtub contraption?

Everything seemed great at first...easy location to Syntagma Square's metro station, near the touristy areas, large room, mini balcony, fridge, decent breakfast, smoking room that wasn't too smoky(thats Athens)...then the comes the BATHTUB!

I'm not sure what this thing was, my wife and I had never seen anything like that. A small tub with a built-in chair, no walls or curtain, and a handheld shower head. It was like I was a baby again! Maybe this was a bathroom designed for elderly and handicapped persons? See the photo I added, should be photo #50.

Regardless, I'm still giving this a 4/5 because overall it was nice room and hotel, despite the awkward bathing situation.

Note: if you're coming in at night, the neighborhood may look creepy and dangerous, but its not. There's nearby cafes and bars still packed at midnight and on. Its just Athens.

Room Tip: Noisy bar in front, ask for a room in the back if possible
Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple