“OK for a night, but not as good as I'd hoped”
Review of Airotel Alexandros

Airotel Alexandros
Ranked #88 of 325 Hotels in Athens
London
“OK for a night, but not as good as I'd hoped”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I chose this hotel for a one night stay primarily because of its location, which was in the right district of Athens for business and close to the airport bus stop. It was clean and the breakfast had a good selection of buffet items - though a bit more fresh fruit would have been appreciated.
The minibar in the room was missing a lot of items and contained half drunk miniatures - but when reporting this to the management (to make sure I wasn't charged), they simply said that most of the rooms had similar issues!
The room safe didn't work and as the maintenance man wasn't around after 5.30pm, I had to leave my valuables in the reception safe instead. This was inconvenient, as it was about the only facility I wanted When returning from my evening out, I was told the room safe had been fixed, but this was too late for my benefit.
The following day I asked for a late check out, as I was feeling poorly and my flight wasn't until 8pm. I offered to pay, but was told the hotel was fully booked. Eventually, they grudgingly extended the check out time to 1.30pm.
There was nowhere nice to while away my time and I ended up visiting a friend who was staying at the President hotel just down the road - this had a lovely airy rooftop bar and I was gutted I'd not chosen to stay there instead. The price was about the same, but the ambience was much nicer.
I was a single traveller - wondered if the room and service would have been better if I'd been part of a couple.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front, because at the back the hotel faced the back of shabby apartment block.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank LadyLunchtime
GROUP-AIROTEL, Front Office Manager at Airotel Alexandros, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Airotel Alexandros Hotel while travelling to Athens and for taking the time to share your comments with us.
Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and we regret that on this occasion we were unable to fulfill this commitment.
Regarding the issues you have mentioned in your message, we would like to inform you that unfortunately some guests place items back to mini bar half used or filled with liquid, even though we check them on daily basis.
Moreover, the room safe can be opened with a specific procedure for safety reasons. That is the reason why it was delayed. Anyhow, we think that the reception safe is a solution for such problems.
Finally, unfortunately due to lack of availability, there was no possibility for late check out, which in any other case it would have been taken care of.

Once again thank you for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Airotel Alexandros hotel on your next visit to Athens.

Kind Regards,

Thodoris Evangelopoulos
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Greece
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed at Airotel Alexandros for one night and were very satisfied. The room was clean, beautifully furnished and quite big, as it also had a round table and two chairs, an electric kettle and all you need for a cup of tea or coffee. The day was very hot and the air condition was a life-saver. The wi-fi was free of charge and so was the hotel parking. The breakfast was impressively rich and of very goog quality and the room price quite a bargain.
Since its location is more than convenient, we will choose Airotel Alexandros, if we visit Athens again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank gianst
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We moved to this hotel after one night at the Athinais, which is next door. The Athinais is good, and the staff were lovely, but we moved because their air conditioning broke, and my fiance was undergoing an eye operation the next day (they did, however, give us a full refund). We needed him to be comfortable. Man, I am sooooo glad we moved to the Alexandros. It was perfect. Staff really, truly went out of their way, giving us free drinks, offering to make us special coffees etc, and were nice on all counts. Our room was spacious with a great balcony, and very cool. The beds were comfortable, the hotel restaurant VERY cheap and good quality, the breakfast fantastic...all in all we had an absolutely perfect stay. I have never written a review of a hotel before, but my great stay at the Alexandros prompted me to do so. We initially stayed at another hotel because the Alexandros had poorer reviews on Tripadvisor, but I just wanted to let everyone know that it isn't true. Seriously. It's a brilliant wee hotel.

Room Tip: Stay at the back of the hotel - it's quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Athens23
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We weren't staying here to spend time in the room, so despite the need for an upgrade, the room met our needs. The front desk personnel were very pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was very good with a nice variety of things to try. We stayed two nights at the start of our trip and 2 nights at the end of the trip, so we had two different rooms. The air conditioning was fine in the main areas of the hotel, but I couldn't seem to get either of our rooms to cool down to a good sleeping temperature. Our first room was on the 6th floor, but our view was of surrounding buildings. Second room was on the 2nd floor and had a nice balcony.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ImeldaMario
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I just stayed one night at this hotel, alone, and I was pretty much satisfied.I was given a junior suite due to a management error so this was a very happy surprise.The room and the bathroom were very spacious.In general,the room was clean but the carpet was a bit dirty which I didn't like at all and made me don't want to put my naked feet on it..The staff at the reception was very welcome and friendly.The location is central and convenient.The breakfast was quite poor but ok.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Venice
Reviewed 22 June 2013

This hotel is the worst we have ever stayed at. We don't demand much, just clean and serviceable. Our room was not a non smoking as they said it was. It had a pungeant smell and numerous cigarette burns on the carpet which had numerous large stains. The blinds weren't affixed to the rails properly, there was no light in the bathroom. The internet was for one hour and even though we used less than 10 mins we were unable to use it the morning of check out.
Thank goodness we only had one night here. On the positive side, I can't think of anything. The alarm bells rang when we saw their beaten up Airotel van which looked like it had been in a crash test.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here inspect the room first.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank toby1275
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Take the metro to Megaro Moussikis or even more convenient if you have lots of heavy luggage like us take the x95 bus for 5 Euros 30 min ride the stop is called something Square. Don't quite remember but it will be helpful to tell the bus driver since the bus driver didn't know this hotel on 2 occasions. It's a good basic hotel with hourly wifi in the room. The wifi reconnecting can be a but annoying. The rooms are clean. The elevators are typical tiny European style but the full bath and shower makes up for it. It's close to the subway and close to the bus. Front office staff is friendly. The breakfast is solid. Plenty of hot and cold selection in both American and Greecian style. There are shops, restaurants and bars nearby. Good souvlaki joint around the corner. We stayed at another hotel closer to The Acropolis that was a bit pricier too but this one is way better in my opinion. Good for a few days. You wouldn't need to spend more in Athens anyway

• Stayed May 2013