Crowne Plaza Hotel - Athens City Centre
US$263
US$204
US$198
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsclub roomihg hotelsholiday innmegaro moussikis metro stationnice hotelsmall poolbusiness tripblue linerooftop poolfresh orange juicemetro stopsyntagma squaremini barbreakfast buffetpleasant stayshower headtwo blocks
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Yes, the location is a little way out of the main tourist areas and on a fairly busy road but really, that shouldn't be a surprise if you look up the location of the hotel in relation to the Acropolis etc before booking. It's a five minute walk to a metro stop and 5 minutes walk to several really nice restaurants (when turning left out of the hotel). We found the staff to be helpful (we asked for restaurant recommendations and they atleast didn't automatically suggest their own) and pleasant. We didn't eat at all in the hotel. We found the room to be plenty big enough (room 422 on the 4th floor) and we were there 4 nights. Upon arrival in our room was some fruit and a bottle of water which was nice. It's true there are no balconies but I'm not sure I fancied a view over the main road anyway! Only minor complaint I'd have is that after the first day following our room being serviced, we had to ask for our coffee to be replenished which was done quickly and we had lots of sachets but little details were missed like the little biscuits with the coffee, the chocolate and really, I don't think it should have been too much trouble to put in a couple of complimentary bottles of water into the room each day. The pool also was quite small but when we were in the roof top bar there was only a couple of people by it. We paid using loyalty points so I can't say if it was value for money really as it didn't cost us a penny and in truth we wouldn't probably have stayed had we had to pay their normal rates.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank louweez75
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in June. The staff at the front desk are trying very hard to be pleasant - friendly is beyond them! It is too far to walk comfortably in the oppressive heat - at least a 30-40 minute walk to the Plaka and Acropolis. It's kind of a grungy city area. The taxis in Athens all charge different rates. We paid a minimum of 3.5 euros and one guy asked for 14 euros for the same trip! The average one way from the hotel to the Plaka was 7 euros. The breakfast provided was average. They have a roof-top breakfast room where the swimming pool is also located. There is no ice available unless you call room-service. The rooms on our floor (room 112) had very thin walls because I could hear the arguing and the TV from the adjoining room at midnight!

On the first day, I called down and asked about WiFi in the rooms and told there was a hefty charge for 1 hour - unless we had a "business package". No one told me that you get 30 minutes FREE internet each day downstairs in their business room! I didn't notice this detail until our last day! I guess I should have been more attentive to all the written information but the "helpful" reception staff could have told me that when I asked about the WiFi. The rooms were well-appointed, colourfully decorated and had bad pillows!

Anyway, not a great location and not very friendly.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank ladydocBC
Reviewed 11 June 2012

The hotel is a nice recently renovated hotel close to the centre. The rooms are very clean but they are not big enough and they only have a window (no balcony)The staff is <<professionally>> polite (not so warm). The lobby and the breakfast area are very nice.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We stayed here overnight en route to Santorini. The hotel was clean and updated. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was very nice. A standard room is a little small but probably typical size for a big-city hotel.

The staff is helpful and can give good directions to get to the various sights in the city. However when I asked for a specific reccommendation for a restaurant they pointed me to a general area and did not give me a specific name or two.

A major drawback is that the WiFi is not free. To get WiFi in your room you have to pay 9.50 Euros and the internet speed is arduously slow. If you want to get connected in the lobby, each guest is allotted 30 minutes per day in the hotel's general access computer.

I reccommend this hotel if you are looking for a place close to downtown for a short trip, or perhaps a stopover en route to somewhere else in Greece. But if you are planning to stay for a couple of days, I reccommend you look somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cuerno82
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Location was a 20/25 minute walk from the city centre so slightly misleading however the closest metro station was within a 5 minute walk and took 2 stops to the centre (syntagma) which was quick.

Had a great stay here. Hotel reception staff were above average/satisfactory, could have been a little more friendly and welcoming. Reception and bar area were top notch. Room on the 5th floor was excellent. Clean, spacious and nice decor. Lots of nice touches such as Iron/ironing board, bathroom speakers via tv and tons of wardrobe/cupboard space. Internet was not free in the room, slightly dissapointing. Free internet can only be obtained through 25min time restricted codes from reception staff and used via their computers only. Breakfast was served on the top floor which also served as the hotels restaurant later on. Breakfast food was great however restaurant food was poor in comparrison. Again breakfast/restaurant staff were ok, quite friendly but not that efficient or attentive. Top floor pool and roof area was nice, pool could have been bigger.

All in all a great stay, but could have been even better with some minor improvements.

Room Tip: Our room on the 5th floor was great.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple