“Emperors Clothes...”

Divani Palace Acropolis
Ranked #67 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Don't you just hate it when you book a luxury hotel in the middle of a major city, then you pull up to it in your taxi and you get that "International" aura of impersonal mediocrity! That's what you get here.
Firstly when we booked on line we contacted the hotel asking if they could arrange a taxi for us from Piraeus as we were arriving late, they simply said "no, do it yourself"
When we did check in and went to our room, we went back to reception for several reasons, the key card didn't work, the room was so dark and cave like and the view of the virtually dismantled apartments opposite was not as we requested a view of the Acropolis. We had apparently been upgraded to THIS room. We were then given a deluxe suite in the new wing, which in my opinion was no better than a basic room at any travel inn across the UK, clean and comfortable but not worth €150.
Having accepted out room reluctantly we went to the roof bar to see the Acropolis, which was hidden by a hot water cylinder and asked for drinks, a red wine €9 and strawberry Daiquiri €12, a glass was plonked down in from of me from another table and a small bottle of red unceremoniously glugged into my glass, ice cold! When I asked what the wine was the waitress shrugged and walked away. The head waiter did change the wine for a more room temperature version but to be fair it was an awful wine.
Needless to say we didn't stay for dinner.
The room had paper thin walls, an extract fan in the bathroom that didn't work and a shower that alternated between hot, cold and warm.
This hotel is a case of the emperors clothes and no body wants to let them know that it's a naked hotel in a 5 star suite!!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank j-curv

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I loved this hotel! The best thing to do is have NO high expections on european hotels. I was slightly scared to stay here due to the horrid reviews but when I got here, I was so surprised how nice it was. Granted, we only stayed for 2 nights and had 1 1/2 day in athens but we found our bed comfortable, the shower was big, the toilet flushed, the room was clean everytime we got back from our excursion. We also ate at the roof hotel and I wasn't too impress though. The view from the rooftop was amazing, however, the food was just okay.

Location Location Location! This hotel is only a short walk away from the acropolis which gave us the chance to explore it fully. We also went to the plaka a lot and got to visit the new acropolis museum. The staff was nice and was always willing to help. This is my first trip to europe but not my husbands since he served in the marines and got to travel everywhere. He informed me that european hotels arent as big as the ones in the states so I was shocked that it was big in my opinion. I am very picky when it comes to our hotels and I found nothing to complain about in this place. Maybe I just got lucky with a good updated one. **SHRUGS**

The elevator was a little small but at least it has one lol

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
DivanisCollection, General Manager at Divani Palace Acropolis, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Guest

thank you for your positive review following your recent stay with us at Divani Palace Acropolis

We are looking forward to welcome you soon back in our property

Kind Regards

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Seeing the Acropolis from my balcony was very special, especially at night when it is iluminated.
The hotel is so conveniently located for walking to the Plaka and museum. The staff was friendly and willing to help and it seems like an efficiently run hotel. The breakfast had the most wonderful croissants, as well as a wide choice of dishes.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Adri4608

Dear Guest

thank you for your positive review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us

We are glad that you had a memorable stay

We are looking forward to see you again

Kind Regards

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed here while on a Trafalgar tour; we stayed here at the beginning and end of a 2-week trip, first in the "older" wing of the hotel, later in the newer executive rooms. In the first, I was at the back of the hotel, which was very quiet and had a small balcony overlooking the pool. The newer room was larger and more plush, but both were comfortable. The staff were VERY helpful and - being a typical American, I don't speak Greek - but the staff spoke English were friendly and accommodating. On my first day there, after checking in, the first thing I did was walk to the Acropolis, which was about 3 blocks away, visible from in front of the hotel. I was briefly concerned about walking around without a map, especially since the street signs are in Greek. But then I realized that I could walk pretty far, then just look around for the Acropolis, walk back there and then down the street to the Divani Palace.

The hotel is also a short walk (5 - 10 minutes) from the Plaka, and we spent several lovely evenings enjoying dinner outside at the base of the Acropolis Museum, people-watching. There are a few sketchy-looking buildings in the neighborhood, but I never felt unsafe or had any problems. Bring comfortable shoes and explore the area. We joined a number of other people in the evening on a hilltop adjacent to the Acropolis. The Parthenon was lit beautifully, the weather was perfect, and everyone was enjoying an incomparable view. Whatever you do, don't pass up the opportunity to have dinner or drinks on the rooftop restaurant; it's a view you'll remember for the rest of your life.

I didn't take advantage of the pool, but it's available and sheltered from the hubbub of the city. There's also a grocery store and a newsstand within a block or two of the hotel. Breakfast was a wide selection which should have something to please everyone.

I'm not someone who would normally stay in a luxury hotel - if not on a tour, I tend toward hostels and B&Bs. But every now and then it's nice to see how the other half lives.

Room Tip: If you can, stay in the executive rooms. They're larger and - if it matters to you - appear to h...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

We are glad that your stay with us was one to remember

we are looking forward to welcome you soon again

Thank you !

Reviewed 27 May 2014

If you love walking to all the historical sites - and want to stay in an area that is less hustle and bustle than Plaka, this is a great option. The Acropolis museum is a three minute walk and the main entrance to the Acropolis and the Ilias Lalaouinis Museum of Jewelry are both a ten minute walk away. Easy metro access on a quiet side street make this hotel a great choice for budget conscious travelers. Friendly and competent staff that are always ready to help with decent sized rooms, the hotel's common areas could, however, use a face lift and some modernization.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This hotel is perfectly placed at the foot of the hills where everything is happening. Needless to say it is a few minutes walk from Acropolis, the new beautiful museum and the Plaka district. However, funny as it may seem, the connections between the places I wanted to be inside the hotel were confusing, such as the distance I had to walk in wet swimsuit through a great hall in order to get to the lifts.

Room Tip: The Executive Rooms are perfect.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

We travelled with trafalgar stayed room 511 n 312. its part of the package but if we're on my own, we personally do not feel it deserve 5stars at least from where we travelled to before ard greek Islands, asia, usa n Europe.

No kettle nor utensils like cups or spoons in its "normal" rooms unless u go executive but again even 3/4stars Normal rooms around acropolis area have kettle n FREE wifi. Here at divani palace for ppl affording to stay 5stars shld afford to pay for wifi!! 1hr=2E; 2hrs=3E; 1day=5E. N u need use continuously no splitting the time usage. Again most cafe, other lower stars hotel have FREE wifi but the catch is that their passwords are mostly their tel number so unless u are a patron u prolly dunno.

5Pros on Divani. 1.absolutely excellent service even saying no to you or don't know is done politely as to where the nearest free wifi is. 2. Nice open AVERAGE rectangular swimming pool. 3. Beautiful rooftop garden to chill or dinner after 7-8pm with breathtaking views of acropolis coupled with above average priced menu. 4.very prompt services n excellent command of English even the barman. Especially they cater to huge groups everyday. 5. Great location. W normal balcony looking at acropolis. Nice! Great for free n easy less than 5mins walk to acropolis museum n zeus temple. n easy 10-15 mins to plaka n 20-25mins stroll to syntagma

5cons of divani.
1. Wifi need to pay.
2. No supply or hot drinking water unless go bar where open till 2am.so make sure u are not sick coughing or hungry for cup noodles for supper. Drinking water as usual u pay.
3. Musky smell in room. Think cuz its an old hotel so when u flip the pillows or blanket expect dusts flying.
4. Be sure u bring ur toiletries. Only soap, shampoo, shower gel supplied. No disposable toothpaste/toothbrush/hair conditioner/shower cap/sewing kit/comb/shaving kit etc usually at 5star hotels but again, go green people! !! Byo! Too bad for poorly prepared travellers, not free!
5. Food is really just edible our first night's dnr was simple panfried fish fillet but its so overcooked tat we chewed thru only 1 piece.the other was just not going down. Breakfast wide spread lots of variety. Tea coffee served personally so no point searching around. Breakfast is average w lots of choices.

Hope this detailed feedback helped future travellers. Here's From Singapore n Malaysia

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple