Don't you just hate it when you book a luxury hotel in the middle of a major city, then you pull up to it in your taxi and you get that "International" aura of impersonal mediocrity! That's what you get here.
Firstly when we booked on line we contacted the hotel asking if they could arrange a taxi for us from Piraeus as we were arriving late, they simply said "no, do it yourself"
When we did check in and went to our room, we went back to reception for several reasons, the key card didn't work, the room was so dark and cave like and the view of the virtually dismantled apartments opposite was not as we requested a view of the Acropolis. We had apparently been upgraded to THIS room. We were then given a deluxe suite in the new wing, which in my opinion was no better than a basic room at any travel inn across the UK, clean and comfortable but not worth €150.
Having accepted out room reluctantly we went to the roof bar to see the Acropolis, which was hidden by a hot water cylinder and asked for drinks, a red wine €9 and strawberry Daiquiri €12, a glass was plonked down in from of me from another table and a small bottle of red unceremoniously glugged into my glass, ice cold! When I asked what the wine was the waitress shrugged and walked away. The head waiter did change the wine for a more room temperature version but to be fair it was an awful wine.
Needless to say we didn't stay for dinner.
The room had paper thin walls, an extract fan in the bathroom that didn't work and a shower that alternated between hot, cold and warm.
This hotel is a case of the emperors clothes and no body wants to let them know that it's a naked hotel in a 5 star suite!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- There is no other hotel in Athens to entwine more beautifully the history of ancient Greece with 5 star facilities. Divani Palace Acropolis sits just below the Acropolis, moments away from Plaka, the new archaeological museum and the Herodian theatre. Taste luxury and sophistication in our 180 rooms, 60 new deluxe rooms and 10 suites. Enjoy the hotel restaurants and bars, or explore the surrounding area for an authentic encounter with Athens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Divani Palace Acropolis reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Divani Acropolis Palace Athens
- Hotel Divani Acropolis Palace
- Acropolis Hotel Athens
- Divani Acropolis Hotel