“Good hotel but not 5 star.”

Divani Caravel Hotel
Ranked #57 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

Luckily we got a deal on a late booking website, but if I'd of paid full price I would've been complaining.
This is not up to 5 star standard with the paint & grain effect on the door to the bathroom. Which is also sloppy & slapped up the wall!
The beds are hard & not at all comfortable & there are not non smoking floors so we keep getting the smell of cigarette smoke filling our room at night.
This is coming from the corridors & also the room next door! Really annoying.

The location in Athens is brilliant & the front desk staff are friendly. This hotel is used a lot for business conferences & they seem to sometimes forget about the customers who have chosen to stay here as their holiday hotel.

Would I recommend this hotel? If it was a 4 star then yes but only if you found a deal.

The smoking situation really needs to be addressed.

• Stayed: December 2013
DivanisCollection, General Manager at Divani Caravel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us at Divani Caravel

We are sorry that your stay didn't reach the standards you expected from our hotel. We would like to note that Divani Caravel is a member of the Leading Hotels of the World and we want all our clients to be very satisfied with their choice!

All your comments have been shared with my staff and actions have been take towards ameliorating issues. Kindly note that we do not have non smoking floors but we do have non smoking rooms

We hope that we will have the chance to welcome you again in our premise

Write a ReviewReviews (1,395)

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a total of 6 nights over 2 weeks. Based on the reviews I read about this hotel it was about as expected -- and average hotel. Clearly they cater to large groups both tour and conference. This is not what we expected form this hotel, based on both other tripadvisor reviews and the hotel's web site.
The rooms were clean, and bed comfortable. Make sure the room the room does not have a wood floor - it will be noisy (see room tips).
The breakfast experience was mixed: On some mornings when it was served in the Café Constantinople all was good, with good service. On other mornings at Café Constantinople nothing was good: food not restocked and service confused. However, on one weekend the hotel was busy so it was also served at Brown's Bar-Restaurant - quieter and less hectic. This was a MUCH better experience. But on the last morning they again moved breakfast to another venue - I don;t know the name, but it was in the basement, with no windows, with fake ruins on the wall... with terrible service from the non Greek staff. A really stark contrast with the Café Constantinople.... cold food, bad service... and then when I gave feedback to the concierge, I got an argument from him.... telling me I was wrong in my view! Really? I really wanted to talk to the GM but it was my last day and I did not want to spoil it.
Hotel location is good ... approx 10 mins walk to the subway, some restaurants close by... a nice residential neighborhood... unless you want to be in the chaos closer to the Acropolis (we did not).
And do heed all of the warnings about pickpockets on the subway system... the trains are overcrowded especially at rush hour, and these guys are VERY very good.

Room Tip: DON'T take a room with a wood floor... if I remember right we started on the 5th floor.... the r...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel is not really cheap and sure it is a bit over the top, but due to its employees the service is great.
Leave a coat or trousers on the chair and you will find it in the closet when you come back!
Leave anything on the floor and they find it.
Rooms are good not spacious but clean! Breakfast is good not fantastic but all you need is there.
So it's pleasant to stay there.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ies K

Dear Guest

My team and myself would like to thank you for your lovely review following your stay with us!

We are looking forward to welcome you again in Divani Caravel

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed here on a special convention package that included WiFi, Breakfast and a discounted room rate. This is an outstanding hotel when location, range of offered services and customer service are considered. However, caveat emptor, individual services are lavishly priced when they're not bundled with your room.

MY ROOM was exceptionally well appointed with very comfortable furniture in excellent taste & condition. The bathroom is equally well appointed. I only found the tub to be a bit narrow when used for showering due to the shape of the tub basin.

BREAKFAST was one of the best that I've seen amongst a number of fine hotels on three continents. The only missing article was omelets to order. However, there was such a large variety of breakfast items available that I didn't miss it, nor did I tire of the selection.

WI-FI was fast with no discernible time when it becomes overloaded.

LOCATION was excellent with a number of local dining establishments within a short walk. The Acropolis of Athens was a leisurely and pleasant 1-2 hour stroll (each way).

PRICING OF SERVICES. Like many 5☆ Hotels, this hotel charges for most everything - and they're not pricing for the frugal. For instance: The gym was around €12 per visit. A round of drinks for 5 at the bar can run northward of €75.

Bottom Line: if you can afford it, this is a great place to stay.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I recently stayed here for four nights on business as I was attending a conference there. Wonderful hotel. Very helpful and attentive staff throughout. Lovely quiet rooms, comfy beds (best nights sleep I've had for ages), large bathrooms and the food is to die for. I ordered a Caesar salad via room service and never had one that tasted so good! The view of Athens at night with the floodlit Acropolis is like something from a Disney film. It looks unreal... absolutely breathtaking. Would love to visit and stay here again in the summer. Thank you to everyone. I had a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: The traffic can be a little noisy from the lower floors so ask for a room on a higher floor if you a...
1  Thank Crazyann
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The hotel is a big place for business, at our " Athens Marathon 2013" weekend there was also a medical congres.
Room : Good sleep on the 5 floor for two nights, in the morning hours a nice swim on the 9 th floor in the covered pool, best view on the Acropolis with a telelens camera.
Food : Due the trip no breakfast taken in the hotel.
This hotel was part of our package.
Near the Metro line.

Room Tip: If poss ask for a room with a direct view on Acropolis on the "upper" floors.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Certainly this is among the best hotels in Athens. The rooms are well and tastefully decorated in a classical sense. The quality of the furnishing is top. The location again is very good; there are several nice places to go on walking distance if you decide not to stay in the hotel for dinner / lunch / coffee.

Now, the catch: I normally would not stay in this hotel, the room price is beyond the travel allowance I have, however if you can book well in advance through their web-site, you might be lucky to find a promotional offer. At those reduced prices it is highly recommended.

1  Thank Khoen L