“Smoking staff damage otherwise good stay”
Review of Oscar Hotel

Oscar Hotel
Ranked #111 of 285 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 21 July 2014

If it wasn't for the current staff, Athens Oscar Hotel would rate much higher. The service is impersonal and I even had to wait while a staff member smoked at reception, filling the otherwise very nice lobby with plumes of smoke.

The hotel provides pretty good value for money, with well appointed family rooms with balcony, Acropolis-view roof top pool, large lobby with TV and Wi-Fi, location 50 m from a major Metro station and buffet breakfast.

If the manager instilled pride in the staff and the hospitality level rose, this would be a wonderful place. It's popular with families, tour groups and others, but there is significant room for improvement.

Our family of 4 stayed two nights in July 2014.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony so you get fresh air and nice views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Clean room, free WIFI, nice roof top bar and view, Carrefour is right opposite the hotel and the train station is just a few steps away. About a 10 minute train ride to the city so the hotel is quite central.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel twice during our trip from Greece, once at the beginning and once at the end. The first time we had a decent sized rooom but the odor was terrible. It smelled strongly of smoke and when you turned the AC on to get relief it blew out a moldy smell. Our room was clean but the smell just made it seem dirty. We loved the view of the acropolis from the rooftop pool and bar, that was a very nice addition to the hotel. The second night we stayed our room was in a separate more creepy building and was a tiny room with the same issues that we had the first time. The breakfast was gross both times, but again the price was cheap so it was alright.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the middle not on any corners or too high up the wifi doesn't reach up very wel...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Bad stuff - rooms in part of hotel not attached to main part are substandard. food in dining hall bad . 1st night turkey and like mac & cheese in Greece? shaky area lots of vacant buildings around getting up the stairs in other building very difficult. sweat shop right next to hotel.
Good employees are very nice. rooftop bar is great and wait staff are great does have a pool on roof kids really liked it subway station right near there.

Room Tip: main building
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 July 2014

nice hotel, the best 3* hotel, we have stayed on.
everything was more than expected.
friendly staff, nice breakfast.
granny at 80, teenagers and us, would stay there again.
after checking out, at 12 o'clock, we were free to spend some time in the pool.

Room Tip: very fine location,, 1 min walk from the metro.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed 3 nights in July at this hotel with a group tour. It is very close to the metro and a grocery store was across the street. I found that the rooms needed to be updated, seemed clean but there was an odor. My room had a balcony, which was nice. The last night I stayed there, the air conditioning was not working properly and the staff would not give any reason or explanation as to why. I felt the staff could have been more apologetic or given an explanation about the situation. All the rooms were having this problem. A buffet breakfast was served daily, but the line was always long and seemed to be due to coffee being at the end and people waiting for this backed up the line.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My wallet was stolen on the metro from the airport on the way to this hotel. The receptionist's main concern was whether they could still clear my payment for the room on my debit card which was also stolen. I got the impression that they would have refused to check me in if it hadn't cleared, although I had no cash and needed to make various phone calls to my bank, insurance company, etc. I got some emergerncy cash within three hours but as far as the Hotel Oscar was concerend, I would have been making my calls from the street if I hadn't been able to pay for the room immediately and presumably sleeping there for the nigfht as well if my insurance company hadn't been so helpful and efficient. Athens has turned into a dangerous sleaze-pit in the last decade, probably due to the recession and other problems. I have been passing through for nearly forty years but will try not to do so again. It's not the fault of the ordinary local Greek population but my advice is to avoid the place unless you are desperate to see the Acropolis and museums. If you are going to the islands, fly directly to them. I have changed my return flight and will be departing from Santorini instead.

The roof top bar, although service was slow was quite nice. The room was a bit cramped but seemed okay. Wifi worked. The hotel is next to Larrissa Station so if you need a train, the location is excellent. Otherwise it is quite a walk to anywhere else in Athens or a metro trip on which you will be pushed, shoved and very likely robbed! There are gangs of young men everywhere who watch your every move.

Room Tip: Get a room in another city!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo