“I rank other hotels based on this one!”

InterContinental Athenaeum
Ranked #27 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 15 March 2011

I can't believe it has taken me so long to write this review! I stayed here for my honeymoon in June 2010. Since then I compare every hotel room I stay at to this Intercon.

The staff here were very friendly and nice. We checked in before our room was ready so were escorted to a seating area to enjoy a drink (on the house!) until our room was available. They came and got us when our room was ready and up we went!

We requested a room with a view and WOW. We looked right out to the Acropolis. It was a highlight to watch the monument change color throughout the day and glow at night.

The room was absolutely fantastic. It was HUGE. After staying in a bunch of locally owned hotels and getting used to the European sized rooms, I couldn't believe the size of this room - even by American standards! We had a large king bed with a flat screen mounted to a pole to rotate between the bed and sitting area. The bathroom was spacious. Everything was modern and clean. They sent up champagne and treats to congratulate us. Ah the lap of luxury!

We used the concierge to book a day trip to Delos and they were very helpful.

We also ate at the rooftop restaurant which was delicious. Great service and fantastic view. However if you wanted to do it cheaper, you can just go up for drinks and snacks and they have comfy sitting areas.

There are some shops in the lobby but they are upscale. Also I think there is a bar in the lobby but we did not eat there.

We used the outside pool. It wasn't huge and there's no view but it was nice to take a dip and relax.

The only downside to this hotel is the location. It is located away from the city and there is really not much in the area in the way of restaurants or shops. They do provide a shuttle service to Syntagma Sq which has tons to do but is also where a main metro stop is. As luck would have it, the day we checked in to the hotel, the Metro went on strike so if it weren't for the Intercon shuttle, we would have had a difficult time getting around. The shuttle schedule varies by season but I think at this point it was only running once per hour. Getting in to the city was no problem but getting the shuttle back was a little more difficult. Sometimes it was late because of all the traffic (and who can blame them, there is so much traffic plus with the demonstrations and strikes...) but everyone would make a rush to get on a van because there were not enough seats! We actually had to leave people behind and large groups would get split up. I am hoping the Intercon sent out another shuttle immediately if there was a packed one but it was very frustrating. Also it is tough to have to plan around their schedule and we found ourselves passing up on something to get the shuttle so we wouldn't have to wait another hour.

Overall, I love this hotel and would go back in a heartbeat. I feel this had to be the nicest hotel room in Athens and it made our honeymoon more memorable!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank caflygrl
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2011

Dear TripAdvisor Reader,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens on the special occasion of your honeymoon and for taking the time to share your valuable comments. We are truly delighted to learn that your stay at our hotel sets a benchmark with which you compare other hotels to in terms of service and comfort. With regard to our complimentary shuttle bus, in the event that unforeseen circumstances occur, such as a public transport strike, additional runs are included in the schedule to assist our guests. Alternatively, one may also take a taxi to return to the hotel from Syntagma square at an approximate cost of Euro 5. We would like to thank you for your recommendation and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,339)

Reviewed 13 March 2011

If staying at this hotel, make sure you get the room that look right out to the Acropolis in the distance, simply breathtaking view at night time. The bar in the lobby offers live classical music and excellent quality food. The rooftop restaurant is also a great place to have dinner, very elegant with views of the Acropolis. The staff are very attentive and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2011

Dear TripAdvisor Reader,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Athenaeum InterContinental on your visit to Athens. We are delighted to learn that your stay with us was an enjoyable one and that you had the opportunity to dine at our award winning Premiere restaurant. Indeed, the views from the rooftop are breathtaking and the quality of the food served at both the Premiere and Café Vienna, in our lobby, is second to none. We thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back to the Athenaeum InterContinental on your next visit to Athens.

Reviewed 11 March 2011

While staffs and services in Club lounge are excellent, rooms are in good conditions, however, we found out the concierge is not helpful at all, so as the hotel representative. What happened was that a taxi driver over-charged me, and I went to concierge and asked for assistance, the person initially was rude, and unwilling to help, he even told me " over-charging is acceptable in Athens, so its okay.". I then changed my tone and asked him to find someone to assist me if he is unwilling to help. He eventually called to the authority and asked the taxi driver come back to the hotel to give me the 2 Euro over-charge (I tipped the concierge 20 Euro for doing this ). While he was calling, I heard of ironic cheers from the reception (perhaps its just coincidence, but very unlikely though). I don't really care about the 2 Euro, I was want to respect money, why on earth the receipt shows 7 Euro but I need to pay 9 Euro?

As a Royal Ambassador member in IHG, perhaps I expected too much from the property as I thought I will be taking care very nicely, especially in Intercontinental. I sent an email regarding my stay in Athens to the hotel, and I received a standard reply which basically saying nothing. I just wonder what will the hotel reply to me, as some flyertalk members do receive some sort of compensation ( ie complimentary upgrade for next stay, free airport pickup, or good-will priorityclub point). But nothing mentioned in the email I received from the hotel, anyway, this is a very unpleasant stay and I will not consider this property in the future.

The hotel provides shuttle bus to the city centre and offers unparalleled Acropolis view! And I also received upgraded to a very nice suite because of my status. If you are not going to bother with the concierge, it is still a good place to stay in Athens, good view, good breakfasts, and large rooms.

Also be aware of robbery in Athens! My phone on my first day in Athens!

Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank 0123571113
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2011

Dear TripAdvisor Reader,

Thank you for choosing the Athenaeum InterContinental on your recent stay to Athens and for taking the time to share your comments.
Customer satisfaction is our primary concern and is of the outmost importance to meet the expectations of such loyal customers as yourself whose Royal Ambassador status proves the dedication to the high level of services of our brand.

We would like once more to apologize for the unfortunate event that caused you such a discomfort.
Please allow us to express our conviction that the Reception staff did not laugh at your expense and that it was just a matter of coincidence. This conviction derives from the deep knowledge of the front line staff on the high standard of service InterContinental thrives for. We would like to assure you that such a behavior is not considered acceptable neither from the management nor from the staff of our hotel.

In regards to the Concierge, as mentioned on our direct correspondence, initially there was a misunderstanding as it was believed that you were surcharged the amount of Euro 2 from a taxi that you picked up from the hotel. Should this had been the case, the specific charge would have been standard procedure, as this is the extra amount charged by the taxis for being on stand-by in order to assist the customers.

Upon realizing that the specific taxi which overcharged you was hailed at the city centre, our Concierge took all the necessary actions in order to locate the driver and have the Euro 2 difference refunded.

Finally, we would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding our facilities, and we are delighted to know that you thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast and the comfort of your suite.

Once more, thank you for selecting our hotel for your visit to Athens and we hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 27 February 2011

This hotel is lovely, a great location with fantastic views across the city. The room are very big and the bathrooms very clean with lovely toiletries, good hairdryer etc.

The pool area is fairly small but very nice. Zoes cafe serves a fabulous buffet lunch which is well worth a visit. The room service is also very good and value for money.

The staff in general are all very efficient and professional. The only problem I had was on check out with a girl called Thetis at reception. She kept trying to overcharge me on checkout and I asked to see the bill breakdown. After much huffing and raised eyes after ten mins I eventually got to the root of the prob;lem. She was trying to charge me for wi fi which she insisted I had used. I hadnt used it at all. This was never mentioned in the previous ten minute conversation.

After realising her mistake there was no apolgy at all in fact she acted as though I was in the wrong. Could have been a language barrier and it was early in the morning so maybe she was just tired?!

Other than that I would recomend the hotel, Ive stayed in lots of Intercontinental hotels and they are all very good.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank HellsBells055
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2011

Dear TripAdvisor Reader,

Thank you for choosing the Athenaeum InterContinental on your recent business trip to Athens and for taking the time to share your comments. We were most concerned to read about the level of service you received upon check-out and would like to extend our sincere apologies for the disappointment caused to you. Please rest assured that your comments will be shared with the staff member concerned in order to avoid a similar situation in the future. We are happy to know that the remainder of your stay was both comfortable and enjoyable. Thank you again for your valuable comments as it is through comments such as yours that we are able to identify certain areas in need of improvement. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Athenaeum InterContinental on your next visit to Athens.

Reviewed 23 February 2011

First trip to Athens and was very satisfied and enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Friendly staff, great room and the hotel restaurant is not disappointing. Overall, a very enjoyable stay. Highly recommend to anyone to stay here.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Darsono
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2011

Dear TripAdvisor Reader,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Athenaeum InterContinental on your recent visit to Athens and for your recommendation. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and greatly appreciate your taking the time to share your kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to Athens and our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 17 February 2011

Ok, so I stayed here during part of my honeymoon, so I may be biased. That said, I'm a pretty tough critic - and I was impressed. I cashed in my Priority Club points so my lovely wife and I could live the luxurious life - and it was all that we could have hoped for. We were welcomed warmly. As we were early, and our room wasn't ready yet, the front desk invited us to sit in the lounge and enjoy a complimentary brunch. They congratulated us on our nuptials, and gave us a room with an INCREDIBLE view - overlooking the parthenon in the distance. When we returned from a day in the city, we found in our room champagne and chocolates.

The hotel is not in the heart of downtown, but they offer a frequent shuttle that can get you there.

The room is large, clean, and luxuriously comfortable. The hotel aura is high-class, but not stuffy. Staff are friendly and very accommodating. The roof-top dining room is truly outstanding; the only thing outshining the quality food is the view.

High class, all the way. Go. Stay. You won't be able to help but enjoy. Just remember to call ahead and ask for a room with a view!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beantownmba
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2011

Dear TripAdvisor Reader,

Thank you for choosing to redeem your valued Priority Club Points to stay at our hotel on the special occasion of your honeymoon. We are delighted to learn that the comfort of our facilities and the high level of service from our staff enabled you to have an enjoyable and memorable stay. Our multi-award winning Premiere restaurant is indeed unique in that it combines outstanding cuisine with a breathtaking view of the Acropolis. We would like to thank you for sharing your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back to the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens in the near future.

Reviewed 16 February 2011

I was for 3 Days in Athens Greece and was staying at the IHC there. Normally stay at the Hilton but decided now for IHC and I really seen such a wonderful service from all employees from arrival to cheque out. Every body was friendly 120% dedicated to the guest. A really caring attitude. Very nice room This kind of service and attitude the should have in all IHC. . only minus is no indoor pool.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2011

Dear TripAdvisor Reader,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens on your recent visit and for taking the time to share your kind comments. Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and it is always a pleasure to hear from guests whose expectations were met. We are delighted that you enjoyed the high level of service offered by our staff as well as the comfort of our well-appointed rooms. We thank you for your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the very near future.