I can't believe it has taken me so long to write this review! I stayed here for my honeymoon in June 2010. Since then I compare every hotel room I stay at to this Intercon.
The staff here were very friendly and nice. We checked in before our room was ready so were escorted to a seating area to enjoy a drink (on the house!) until our room was available. They came and got us when our room was ready and up we went!
We requested a room with a view and WOW. We looked right out to the Acropolis. It was a highlight to watch the monument change color throughout the day and glow at night.
The room was absolutely fantastic. It was HUGE. After staying in a bunch of locally owned hotels and getting used to the European sized rooms, I couldn't believe the size of this room - even by American standards! We had a large king bed with a flat screen mounted to a pole to rotate between the bed and sitting area. The bathroom was spacious. Everything was modern and clean. They sent up champagne and treats to congratulate us. Ah the lap of luxury!
We used the concierge to book a day trip to Delos and they were very helpful.
We also ate at the rooftop restaurant which was delicious. Great service and fantastic view. However if you wanted to do it cheaper, you can just go up for drinks and snacks and they have comfy sitting areas.
There are some shops in the lobby but they are upscale. Also I think there is a bar in the lobby but we did not eat there.
We used the outside pool. It wasn't huge and there's no view but it was nice to take a dip and relax.
The only downside to this hotel is the location. It is located away from the city and there is really not much in the area in the way of restaurants or shops. They do provide a shuttle service to Syntagma Sq which has tons to do but is also where a main metro stop is. As luck would have it, the day we checked in to the hotel, the Metro went on strike so if it weren't for the Intercon shuttle, we would have had a difficult time getting around. The shuttle schedule varies by season but I think at this point it was only running once per hour. Getting in to the city was no problem but getting the shuttle back was a little more difficult. Sometimes it was late because of all the traffic (and who can blame them, there is so much traffic plus with the demonstrations and strikes...) but everyone would make a rush to get on a van because there were not enough seats! We actually had to leave people behind and large groups would get split up. I am hoping the Intercon sent out another shuttle immediately if there was a packed one but it was very frustrating. Also it is tough to have to plan around their schedule and we found ourselves passing up on something to get the shuttle so we wouldn't have to wait another hour.
Overall, I love this hotel and would go back in a heartbeat. I feel this had to be the nicest hotel room in Athens and it made our honeymoon more memorable!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- No wonder the Athenaeum InterContinental has been named Greece s leading hotel time and again. Athens largest guestrooms, award winning fine dining venues and a central location appeal to business and leisure travellers alike. Within a few kilometres are the Acropolis, the Parthenon, the Temple of Apollo and the PlÃ¡ka. Metro and tram stations are also nearby. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, IHG, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, getaroom.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your InterContinental Athenaeum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Athenaeum Hotel Athens
- Intercontinental Hotel Athens
- Intercontinental Hotel Athenaeum