“Excellent service!”

InterContinental Athenaeum
Ranked #27 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed in the Athenaeum for just one night at the end of our cruise. After leaving our ship, we arrived at the Hotel Athenaeum around 11am and were pleasantly surprised upon check-in that our room was available straight away! The room was very spacious and had everything we needed, the bathroom was huge! The bed was probably the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept upon. The hotel is not in a great location, but as they provided an excellent regular shuttle service that took us into the main centre (and back again), it didn't matter that much to us. There is an outdoor swimming pool which we used to relax at the end our busy day! We didn't eat at the rooftop restaurant but we did have drinks there which had spectacular views of the acropolis and city, well worth the visit. We were able to store our luggage the following day as we had an evening flight leaving us free to explore the city some more. All in all, although it was a short stay, we would stay at this hotel again. Staff were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear CarolC,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens following your cruise and for taking the time to write a review.

We are pleased to know that you found your room comfortable and our facilities to be to your satisfaction.

Once more thank you for sharing your kind comments and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

Yours Sincerely,
Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,355)

Reviewed 4 September 2013

The hotel is located in the business area, just off Sygrou Avenue, around a 30 minute walk south-west of Syntagma Square. There's a shuttle bus service supplied by the hotel that goes hourly up to the square (half hourly in mornings) and it's advisable to use that. The streets nearby are run down and Sygrou Avenue is seedy in some locations. The walk from Sygrou Fix metro to the hotel requires crossing a dual carriage way which can be very dodgy if you take the wrong route.

The hotel itself is quite plush, with an impressive foyer. There's a very good buffet breakfast in Cafe Zoe which I used each day. On the ground floor is also Cafe Vienna which serves meals and drinks throughout the day, which I used a few times. The staff here were very good. At the top of the hotel is the Premiere Bar with great views of the Acropolis. I visited a few times and found it very relaxing. There is also a restaurant at the top, but for some reason, it was always empty. Perhaps it's quieter in the summer. My room, which was a deluxe room, was well appointed, with a large comfortable bed and suitable desk/area for work. I also had a view of the Acropolis from the room, and I really couldn't find any fault with the room. The only criticisms would be that wifi isn't free and the minibar is quite dear.

Finally, I had a great stay at the Intercontinental in HK last year, so thought it may be useful to join the IHG reward scheme. However, my stay at the Athenaeum in a deluxe room for 7 days has accrued a grand total of 0 points. A 'non-qualifying stay', says the statement. I flew onwards from Athens to the Intercontinental in Istanbul and that visit hasn't even been registered. If IHG are trying to encourage people to use their hotels then their reward scheme isn't helping. My IHG number is 242423498.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear Movilla,

Thank you for staying with us at the Athenaeum InterContinental whilst visiting Athens last month.
As an IHG Rewards member, we greatly value your comments and would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and we are happy to learn that you enjoyed the comfort of our rooms, the breakfast served at our Cafezoe restaurant as well as all the other meals and the breathtaking view of our Premiere rooftop bar.

We have taken note for your comments with regard to the credit of the IHG Rewards Club points for your recent stays at our hotels and would like to inform you that points are not issued for stays at reduced room rates such as: net wholesale, special discounted contract rates, rates booked through most third party web sites as well as other discounted rates.

With regard to your feedback about our prices for the mini bar and internet, we would like to advise you that they are in line with our competitor hotels in the city.

However for the internet, we would like to take the opportunity to inform you that the InterContinental Hotels Group offers to all its Elite and Platinum IHG Rewards members the use of internet without a charge, throughout the hotel chain and additionally our hotel offers the same benefit to all the IHG Rewards Club members, starting from the Base level.

Once again, thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

very nice hotel, 5 stars, the club level is very good with free breakfast and evening reception.
Nice staff too. good food. All the rooms are nice,but club level is great. Has shuttle service to town syntagma square. Lots of eating places in Plaka area. Lots of historic places to visit including patheneon, museums, Dephi, Greek Island tours, name it, you got it. Kalimera !

Room Tip: all the rooms are nice. club level is great,but it costs more
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Ladylizzy105,

Thank you for staying with us while visiting Athens with your family this month.

We greatly appreciate your recommendation and are delighted to learn that your stay with us was an enjoyable one.

We thank you for your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back to the Athenaeum InterContinental on your next visit to Athens.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I booked weekend package including the breakfast. That way it turns out to be value for money.
Staff is polite and efficient.
The place is clean and tidy.
The whole environment is rather relaxing.
There is free shuttle service to drop-off and pickup from hotel and centre of Athens.
Also, the EUR20 for three day pass including return travel to airport, make moving around really efficient.
The place is central to the city.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear YashAgarwal,

Thank you for selecting the Athenaeum InterContinental during your recent visit to Athens. Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and we are pleased to know that you had a comfortable and “relaxing stay” in our hotel. We are delighted to learn that the service of our staff met with your expectations and you thoroughly enjoyed our shuttle bus service.
We would like to thank you once again for your kind comments and recommendation and we are looking forward to welcome you back in the future. Yours Sincerely, Martha Pallis Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed here for one night on my way back from the islands. I have stayed at the Hilton and also the Athenian Callyrhoe in recent years. I thought I would try something different and I love Intercontinentals especially in Europe.

The property is gorgeous and feels vast. The lobby is beautifully modern with cool sculptures and a large restaurant as well as luxury jewelry stores. The sales people hang outside of these stores trying to lure you in - or not lure you in in the case of Cartier where there was a "gentleman" and two women sitting outisde. When I walked by, he said the word "nasty." I turned to look - puzzled as I certainly was a guest in the hotel and perfectly appropriately groomned and attired. When I turned back around the two women laughed. Yes. This is of course not a reflection on the hotel but on Cartier. I am questioning why I own a watch now! Still, sales people hanging outside stores seems a bit inelegant for an Intercontinental. The reception in the hotel was very professional though a bit cold. The bellhops were very nice though and solicitous.

The lobby restaurant was the only eating option open when I arrived. The menu was not that appealing to me at the time so I just had a glass of wine. I later went to the roof for a light bite but again the restaurant was not open so I sat in the bar area and had some more wine while taking in the Athenian skyline at night. Acropolis views here are beautiful and you are not so high up that you feel at eye length with it while the zooming traffic swirls around below you and the monument.

My room was beautifully appointed and super comfy and clean. I loved the bed and bedding. The colors were muted but with a bit of pop. I think some blue in the drapes as I recall. Light fixtures over the bed definitely were cool. Bath and amenities (Korres) were great.

The location was not for me ideal. I like to stay places where I can walk outside and find a neighborhood. This is not the case at this hotel. There is a shuttle that runs back and forth to Syntagma Square which was a nice perq though it did not run that late on Sundays.

All in all, I would say my experience here was pretty good though did not meet expectations for an Intercontinental. Maybe the Cartier man has tainted my view?

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Dear MBM212,
Thank you for selecting the Athenaeum InterContinental following for your recent visit to Athens and for taking the time to share your comments and recommendation. We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed the comfort of our rooms and the service of our complimentary shuttle bus.
We have noted your kind comments about the service you received from our Bellmen and will ensure that will be conveyed to them.

We are sorry to learn that the level of service provided from our front office staff did not meet with your expectations and would like to thank you for your constructive feedback.

We were very concerned to hear about the disappointment you experienced with the jewellery shop staff and assure you that the issues you have raised have been discussed with its ownership.

May we also take the opportunity to inform you that as described on our web site Sundays and Mondays our award winning restaurant Premiere is not on operation however the terrace remains open for the bar.

Once again thank you for your kind comments and we hope to welcome you back to our hotel.
Yours Sincerely, Martha Pallis

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed at the Intercontinental Athenaeum in Athens mid July. Throughout our stay the staff were extremely friendly and efficient. The rooms are simple and comfortable. We remembered a dessert we had at the hotel the previous year and even though it was not on the menu anymore, a member of the staff was kind enough to arrange for us to have it. This is what I call "exceeding customer expectations!!!"

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Lanoon,

Thank you for your review and recommendation. We are delighted to learn that your stay with us was a comfortable one but above all, that the service provided from our staff exceeded your expectations.
Please rest assured that your feedback will be shared with our team who take pride in offering a high level of service to our guests and will be delighted to learn that your experience at our hotel was a memorable one. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to Athens.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

We stayed here during the beginning if August - so the city was quiet as most Athenians are on holiday. The hotel was incredibly polite and helpful during our stay. We needed to do some scanning and faxing to New Zealand in the middle of the night and the staff were amazing and able to assist immediately. Of course it was the middle if the night in Athens but staff were there to help. I would highly recommend this hotel .

Room Tip: Stay in one of the higher levels. We had a fantastic view of the acropolis We couldn't have as...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear Karen D,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us while visiting Athens beginning August. Your kind comments gave us great pleasure and we are delighted to learn that you enjoyed our facilities and in particular our Business Centre’s services. We thank you for your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to our city.