“Excellent property!”

Ranked #28 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Copenhagen
“Excellent property!”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Very large and bright rooms, with all the amenities expected from a five star hotel. Located a few kilometers from Akropolis and city center, but free shuttle to Syntagma Square provided.

Very nice guest relations manager (Georgia), really friendly, cheerful and helpful. Club lounge staff also friendly and effective.

During my stay, I only dined at the hotel in the Club Lounge. Afternoon snacks were ok, but not more. Breakfast was good (but not great). I did have a draft beer at the pool, though. Price of €8 seems to be a bit high.
Wines at the club lounge are horrible (tried them all, white, red, rosé and sparkling). Excellent view from lounge terrace to the Akropolis.

Room Tip: Ask for Acropolis view (but expect to pay extra for that).
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Jeffi99,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Athenaeum InterContinental whilst travelling to Athens on business this month.
We are delighted to learn that your stay with us was an enjoyable one, both in terms of service and accommodation. Indeed, the view from our Premiere restaurant is a breathtaking one of the Acropolis.
We are very sorry to learn that the Food and Beverage items offered in the Club InterContinental Lounge were not to your satisfaction and have noted your comments.
With regard to our beverage prices, may we take this opportunity to advise you that they are, in fact, in line with our competitor hotels in Athens.
We thank you again for your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the very near future.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This is a big "business/conference" type hotel located 20-30 min. walk from the center (i.e. Acropolis, Plaka district, etc).

InterContinental Athenaeum delivers all the should be expected from a 5* hotel: the rooms are large and clean (although some moderate wear&tear is visible, small redecoration should be on the way). WiFi is quite fast, but you have to pay for it. The breakfast was excellent. The terrace on the 6th floor offers excellent view of the city including Acropolis.

The downside is the location: it is not the distance from the historical part of the city, but the surroundings: there is nothing of interest in the vicinity, in fact there is even nothing that is not shabby and dilapidated. If have counted one or two kebab place between the hotel and the nearest metro station (and that was all).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear gibli,
Thank you for staying with us during your recent business trip to Athens and for taking the time to write a review.
Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and it pleases us greatly to learn that you enjoyed the comfort and the spaciousness of our rooms, the Café Zoe’s extensive buffet breakfast and the ambience of our award winning Premiere restaurant and the breathtaking view of the Acropolis from its terrace.
In regards to the location, we would like to inform you that it is a safe business and residential area.
Moreover, please note that even though most of our rooms have been recently renovated, we are currently in the planning process for the remaining floors.
We have taken note of your comments and would like to take this opportunity to advise you that should you join our IHG Rewards Club loyalty program, you will automatically have complimentary access to the internet both in our rooms and lobby.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the very near future.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I am in IC Royal Ambassador member (as well as a lifetime Marriott Platinum member). I don’t normally write reviews but thought I needed to write one on the Athens IC.

I have stayed at many, many hotels over the years and many ICs in specific. I feel this particular property is wanting in a number of ways

First the room, I assume as a Royal Ambassador that I would receive one of their better rooms. I was informed multiple times that I had been upgraded to a junior suite. The room was indeed large (two rooms essentially) but that was the highlight. The room was dated and quite old. The showers (I had two) and bathes were not updated. The view was of a major road and graffiti covered buildings (see pics). Multiple outlets did not work. My wife and I had to selectively use only a couple outlets to charge all our electronic gadgets. The one shower was completely broken and water leaked all over the wall and floor outside the shower (see pic).

The service was also not up to typical IC standards. I asked the concierges for help with a local map and some ideas on what to do in the area. He threw me a map promptly turned got back on the phone with what appeared to be a personal phone call. Even though I stood there further waiting to get more service, he continued without acknowledging he’d get back to me.

I asked to speak to the guest relationship department about my typical Royal Ambassador benefits - specifically access to the lounge. I suggested that most IC properties allow a one room upgrade plus access to the lounge as a Royal Ambassador benefit (I know Frankfurt, Berschdengarden, Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand, and SF, at least to name a few). Instead I was given a ‘junior suite’ (which I didn’t ask for) and that was it. I ask nicely if they might make an exception this one time to align with other properties more common practice. The lady had no flexibility and was very stand off-ish and was in no way accommodating to my request. If fact, she basically called an liar and challenged me to write a review (it was not the Martha Pallis on trip advisor).

I am (perhaps unfortunately) back to this same hotel after returning from a short Greece cruise. I will write another review if the quality of the room or service is any better.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank maddy456
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear maddy456,
It was a pleasure to meet you earlier today and discuss the issues you raise in your review. As a valued Royal Ambassador member and loyal guest to IHG, we greatly appreciate your feedback. Once again, I would like to express my sincere apologies for the lapse in service you received from our staff. Please rest assured that your comments will be discussed with the team members concerned in order to avoid a similar occurrence in the future. In addition, I truly apologise for the maintenance problems you faced in the original suite you were allocated. Such oversights on our part are indeed rare and I appreciate that you have brought these to our attention. With regard to the upgrade for Royal Ambassador members, as we discussed, each hotel may offer an upgrade to a suite, executive room or Club InterContinental room at its own discretion. Once again, we thank you for bringing these issues to our attention as it is through comments such as yours that we are able to identify certain areas in need of improvement. I trust that on your return trip to Athens, we have restored your impression of our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens and I would personally be delighted to assist you with your next reservation.
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel, from 16th to 21st May 2014 as a part of our Heart Failure Conference. Hotel is very close to city centre, Syntagma Square. It has a very good view of Parthenon, from its roof top.
Guest rooms are good, and the breakfast was very lavish.
The biggest drawback was the steep rates of internet in rooms. There was no free Wi-Fi even in the lobby area. Most of the hotels have atleast free Wi-Fi in the common area. This was a big let down. penny wise pound foolish.
For the adventurous, there are a lot of adult entertainment shops on the same street.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with Acropolis View
Dear NishithC,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Athenaeum InterContinental whilst participating the Heart Failure Conference in Athens this month.
We have noted your kind comments regarding the comfort of our rooms and the quality of our breakfast as well as the Acropolis view from our Premiere rooftop bar and restaurant.
With regard to the charges for wifi, may we take this opportunity to suggest that you join our loyalty program, IHG Rewards Club, as one of its benefits is complimentary internet access on the basic package both in the rooms and in the lobby.
Once again, thank you for your valuable comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to Athens and the Athenaeum InterContinental.
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 21 May 2014

This is an Intercontinental hotel such that I have not much to say about the quality of the hotel. Just trust the brand. What I would just like to pinpoint is that the room with a view of the Acropolis, is worthwhile. Staff was also quite helpful. I felt like I never had to do anything at all. They always wanted to do it for you - even reserving the restaurant, even if you are not sure you are going at all.
Another thing is that the breakfast was too expensive and the offering did not top other hotel restaurant offerings. It was just a standard buffet.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear thesupr,
Thank you for selecting the Athenaeum InterContinental for your recent visit to Athens and for taking the time to write your comments. Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and we are pleased to learn that your stay with us was an enjoyable one, especially the view to the Acropolis from your room. We have also noted your comments about the breakfast and would like to inform you that our prices are in fact in line with our 5 star competitors in Athens. We thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Very clean and nice rooms.
Perfect breakfast.
Large size rooms with everything you need.
Free shuttle bus to downtown ( going and come back @ proper times)
A nice lobby with a massive sitting area.
I will miss The beautiful Greece and " I " Hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarasiamak
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Sarasiamak,
Thank you for staying at the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens and for writing a review. We are delighted to learn that your stay with us was a memorable one. In particular, that you enjoyed the spaciousness of our rooms and our complimentary shuttle bus service to Syntagma square. Once again, thank you for your kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘beautiful Greece” and the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens.
Oregon
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Everything you want to see in Athens is within walking distance. The room is large and clean, and the staff business like. Business center was well staffed and attentive. Everything we expected. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank leitner220
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear leitner220,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Athenaeum InterContinental on your recent visit to Athens and for taking the time to write a review. We greatly appreciate your kind comments and are delighted to learn that your stay with us met with your expectations. In particular, we have noted your comments about our Business Centre and will ensure that your commendations are forwarded to our team. We thank you for your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back to the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens.