“Terrific hotel.”

InterContinental Athenaeum
Ranked #27 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This hotel is a bit out of the way from the city center but they had a shuttle bus that left every hour-not very convenient but if you can manager your schedule around the times it would work out-if not, the taxis to Syntagma Square only cost 4 euros and are available 24 hours a day-so we took cabs every time we left the hotel. The breakfast was amazing with everything you can imagine available and all very delicious. The dining is just by the pool area and was included in our room rate otherwise I think it would cost around 30 euros per person. The roof top view was amazing and the food was a bit pricey but well in line for that type of atmosphere for this type of hotel. The Plaka is just a short walk up from Syntagma Square and we ate there almost every afternoon and evening.

Room Tip: I am sure there is a great view of the Acropolis from the upper floors but we were only on the secon...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Joe K,

Thank you for staying at the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens and for taking the time to write a review. Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and we are delighted to learn that your stay with us was a memorable one. In particular, that you enjoyed our extensive breakfast buffet at Cafézoe and the ‘amazing’ view of the Acropolis from our Premiere rooftop restaurant. We thank you again for your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to Athens.

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,337)

Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

The rooms were lovely. The staff were friendly and very helpful. One member of staff in particular Iraklis was very helpful and a pleasure to greet as you enter the hotel.
The breakfast selection was very impressive.
On the whole it was a very pleasant stay and we received top class service throughout.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank vossellerfaerie

Dear vossellerfaerie,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Athenaeum InterContinental whilst in Athens earlier this month. We greatly appreciate the time you took to write a review and are pleased to learn that our accommodations met with your expectations and that our service was ‘top class throughout’. Once again, thank you for your kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to our city in the very near future.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

very nice hotel with good services, thank to the employees for their Availability at any time and Their kindness.
Rooms are very large with well equiped.
Great an go ahead.
I recomand this hotel for all people looking for quality and good services.

2  Thank kamabdel

Dear kamabdel,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your visit to Athens and for taking the time to write a review. We are delighted to learn that our service and accommodations met with your expectations. We greatly appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back to the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Very large and bright rooms, with all the amenities expected from a five star hotel. Located a few kilometers from Akropolis and city center, but free shuttle to Syntagma Square provided.

Very nice guest relations manager (Georgia), really friendly, cheerful and helpful. Club lounge staff also friendly and effective.

During my stay, I only dined at the hotel in the Club Lounge. Afternoon snacks were ok, but not more. Breakfast was good (but not great). I did have a draft beer at the pool, though. Price of €8 seems to be a bit high.
Wines at the club lounge are horrible (tried them all, white, red, rosé and sparkling). Excellent view from lounge terrace to the Akropolis.

Room Tip: Ask for Acropolis view (but expect to pay extra for that).
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Jeffi99,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Athenaeum InterContinental whilst travelling to Athens on business this month.
We are delighted to learn that your stay with us was an enjoyable one, both in terms of service and accommodation. Indeed, the view from our Premiere restaurant is a breathtaking one of the Acropolis.
We are very sorry to learn that the Food and Beverage items offered in the Club InterContinental Lounge were not to your satisfaction and have noted your comments.
With regard to our beverage prices, may we take this opportunity to advise you that they are, in fact, in line with our competitor hotels in Athens.
We thank you again for your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

This is a big "business/conference" type hotel located 20-30 min. walk from the center (i.e. Acropolis, Plaka district, etc).

InterContinental Athenaeum delivers all the should be expected from a 5* hotel: the rooms are large and clean (although some moderate wear&tear is visible, small redecoration should be on the way). WiFi is quite fast, but you have to pay for it. The breakfast was excellent. The terrace on the 6th floor offers excellent view of the city including Acropolis.

The downside is the location: it is not the distance from the historical part of the city, but the surroundings: there is nothing of interest in the vicinity, in fact there is even nothing that is not shabby and dilapidated. If have counted one or two kebab place between the hotel and the nearest metro station (and that was all).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear gibli,
Thank you for staying with us during your recent business trip to Athens and for taking the time to write a review.
Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and it pleases us greatly to learn that you enjoyed the comfort and the spaciousness of our rooms, the Café Zoe’s extensive buffet breakfast and the ambience of our award winning Premiere restaurant and the breathtaking view of the Acropolis from its terrace.
In regards to the location, we would like to inform you that it is a safe business and residential area.
Moreover, please note that even though most of our rooms have been recently renovated, we are currently in the planning process for the remaining floors.
We have taken note of your comments and would like to take this opportunity to advise you that should you join our IHG Rewards Club loyalty program, you will automatically have complimentary access to the internet both in our rooms and lobby.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I am in IC Royal Ambassador member (as well as a lifetime Marriott Platinum member). I don’t normally write reviews but thought I needed to write one on the Athens IC.

I have stayed at many, many hotels over the years and many ICs in specific. I feel this particular property is wanting in a number of ways

First the room, I assume as a Royal Ambassador that I would receive one of their better rooms. I was informed multiple times that I had been upgraded to a junior suite. The room was indeed large (two rooms essentially) but that was the highlight. The room was dated and quite old. The showers (I had two) and bathes were not updated. The view was of a major road and graffiti covered buildings (see pics). Multiple outlets did not work. My wife and I had to selectively use only a couple outlets to charge all our electronic gadgets. The one shower was completely broken and water leaked all over the wall and floor outside the shower (see pic).

The service was also not up to typical IC standards. I asked the concierges for help with a local map and some ideas on what to do in the area. He threw me a map promptly turned got back on the phone with what appeared to be a personal phone call. Even though I stood there further waiting to get more service, he continued without acknowledging he’d get back to me.

I asked to speak to the guest relationship department about my typical Royal Ambassador benefits - specifically access to the lounge. I suggested that most IC properties allow a one room upgrade plus access to the lounge as a Royal Ambassador benefit (I know Frankfurt, Berschdengarden, Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand, and SF, at least to name a few). Instead I was given a ‘junior suite’ (which I didn’t ask for) and that was it. I ask nicely if they might make an exception this one time to align with other properties more common practice. The lady had no flexibility and was very stand off-ish and was in no way accommodating to my request. If fact, she basically called an liar and challenged me to write a review (it was not the Martha Pallis on trip advisor).

I am (perhaps unfortunately) back to this same hotel after returning from a short Greece cruise. I will write another review if the quality of the room or service is any better.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank maddy456

Dear maddy456,
It was a pleasure to meet you earlier today and discuss the issues you raise in your review. As a valued Royal Ambassador member and loyal guest to IHG, we greatly appreciate your feedback. Once again, I would like to express my sincere apologies for the lapse in service you received from our staff. Please rest assured that your comments will be discussed with the team members concerned in order to avoid a similar occurrence in the future. In addition, I truly apologise for the maintenance problems you faced in the original suite you were allocated. Such oversights on our part are indeed rare and I appreciate that you have brought these to our attention. With regard to the upgrade for Royal Ambassador members, as we discussed, each hotel may offer an upgrade to a suite, executive room or Club InterContinental room at its own discretion. Once again, we thank you for bringing these issues to our attention as it is through comments such as yours that we are able to identify certain areas in need of improvement. I trust that on your return trip to Athens, we have restored your impression of our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens and I would personally be delighted to assist you with your next reservation.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel, from 16th to 21st May 2014 as a part of our Heart Failure Conference. Hotel is very close to city centre, Syntagma Square. It has a very good view of Parthenon, from its roof top.
Guest rooms are good, and the breakfast was very lavish.
The biggest drawback was the steep rates of internet in rooms. There was no free Wi-Fi even in the lobby area. Most of the hotels have atleast free Wi-Fi in the common area. This was a big let down. penny wise pound foolish.
For the adventurous, there are a lot of adult entertainment shops on the same street.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with Acropolis View

Dear NishithC,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Athenaeum InterContinental whilst participating the Heart Failure Conference in Athens this month.
We have noted your kind comments regarding the comfort of our rooms and the quality of our breakfast as well as the Acropolis view from our Premiere rooftop bar and restaurant.
With regard to the charges for wifi, may we take this opportunity to suggest that you join our loyalty program, IHG Rewards Club, as one of its benefits is complimentary internet access on the basic package both in the rooms and in the lobby.
Once again, thank you for your valuable comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to Athens and the Athenaeum InterContinental.