“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #28 of 325 Hotels in Athens
London
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This is an excellent hotel.
The location may be a little off centre but the excellent public transport in Athens makes up for it. Use the tram instead of the metro as the stop is much closer to the hotel.
The staff in the hotel are fantastic and they are very helpful. We had our bag stolen while we were there in the metro, the staff in the hotel from the reception, business centre, guest relations to the concierge could not do enough for us to make us feel better about what happened. They were very very helpful and lovely about the whole thing.
Rooms are nice, large and clean.
Make sure you join IHG rewards in advance to get the free wifi.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear flyzeki
Thank you for staying at the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens and for your review of our hotel. We are very sorry for the unfortunate experience you had on the metro and trust that this incident did not mar your impression of Athens. We have noted the high level of service you received from our staff after your experience and thank you for your commendations. Once again, we thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens.
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
United States
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

I was somewhat discouraged about staying at this hotel after reading some reviews and complaints. That is why I had lower expectations, but overall the hotel is very nice, deserving more credit than most of the average reviews.

I got on a cab and as I approached the hotel, the shabby outsode got me worried, but as soon as you step in to the lobby, it is the standard expected from an Intercontinental 5 star.

The staffs were very friendly, attending to special requests. Marina was very helpful checking my membership status and getting me a complimentary WiFi.

Staying in a superior room, the size of the room is good, and yes I can see somewhat worn down feeling from some furnitures, especially the bathrooms. But with this price, ot is more than bareable.

Overall, I think I got more than what I bargained for, so I am quite satisfied with the stay. Unless you are very picky, this is a nice hotel to stay in. (Though the location is somewhat awkward)

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Stargazer1123,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Athenaeum InterContinental whilst in Athens earlier this month. Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and we are pleased to learn that your stay with us met with your expectations, both in terms of service and facilities. We thank you again for your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to our city.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I went there with a group of friends, and I honestly was satisfied of the service and the room. Everything was clean, people were nice and helpful as well. However, I must say the location of the hotel was a bit surprising, not to say it was disappointing. Moreover, I would have expected the WiFi to be free, but it wasn’t. Overall, the stay was good and I would recommend this hotel anyway.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Harry M,
Thank you for staying at the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens and for your recommendation. It pleases us greatly to learn that you were satisfied with our accommodations and service. Regarding complimentary access to the internet, may we take this opportunity to recommend that you join our loyalty program, IHG Rewards Club, as one of its benefits is complimentary internet access on the basic package for all members at all IHG Hotels and Resorts worldwide. We thank you again for staying with us and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Athens.
Glasgow
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I was pretty scathing about the Intercontinental last time I was here but we all deserve a second chance. Broadly, I was more impressed this time. I am on their loyalty programme so I got an upgrade to a very nice Club room with a great view of the Acropolis. Last time I was a bit put off by the location but it is a short walk or cab drive (3 Euros) from Sygrou-Fix metro and I guess it was put on this main business avenue. There is still a dearth of nearby venues but you are a short cab ride from Monastiraki and Plaka. About 200m from the hotel there is a reaosnable Italian cafe/restaurant, Ciao. Exit the main door and turn left and left again. Across the street there is also a little cafe, Fix Eat. I mention this as, unless you get Club lounge access, food and drinks are best only contemplated at this place if you are on expenses. I watched some World Cup football in the bar one night and was charged 18E for a Mojito. ONly problem (apart from the eye-watering price) is that it was not a mojito just some rum, club soda, whole ice cubes and chopped up mint with some lime slices. When I returned it and asked for a beer I was told the ice was not crushed as it melted too fast. No explanation for the lack of any sugar cane syrup, , lime juice or the chopped not muddled mint/ Club privileges mean you avoid paying well over the odds for breakfast (Greeks don't really do breakfast beyond great yoghurt, cheese, ham and bread so the Cafe Vienna offering isn't something you would miss). There is a nice pool but it is a bit disorganised and the pool crew don't seem to think getting a guest a sunbed is a priority. Free wifi (as contrasted to my past remarks about excessive charging) is a welcome plus though that arises as a result of IHG branding ratheer than any local generosity. And there really remains the rub, this looks like a five star hotel, essentially is a 4 star business venue but in its continuing rapacity towards guests really feels still like a bad 3 star. If you are still tempted consider an upgrade to the Club rooms on floors 7,8 and 9. When you add in all the freebies you otherwise pay for it represents the nearest you will get to value in what remains an over-priced venue. I found nearly all the staff warm, helpful and friendly but the one touch service is not what you get in other locations. Here, you really ar eonly speaking to the hotel operator who redirects your call. Now I expect I will prompt the formulaic repsonse thanking me for my comments and remarking that the costs and charges are the same as in other comparable hotels. Well, that's not so but , in any event, I compare this Intercontinental to others and when that (more relevant) comparison is made average is as good as I could go. I will return as I pass through Athens from time to time on business and need a boring, business level hotel but if your holiday tip to Athens is a treat, you want that something different or you operate on a tighter budget you should give this place a miss.

Room Tip: High floors -ask for a room with an Acropolis view but for no street noise ask for southern room. Ch...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ARDNAHOE
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear ARDNAHOE,
Thank you for your patronage to the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens and for your feedback. We are sorry to learn of the lapse in service that you received at our pool as well as your disappointment in the quality of the cocktail you had ordered. Please accept our apologies and rest assured that these comments will be shared with our team in order to avoid similar occurrences in the future. May we also take this opportunity to clarify that our Club InterContinental floors are located on the 8th and 9th floors of the hotel. Once again, we thank you for choosing to stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Athens.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed overnight before a cruise. It was excellent. The hotel is situated about 2 km from the spectacular Parthenon and the related museum. Our room was comfortable and the staff more than anxious to assist us.
The views from the lovely roof top restaurant are special.

Room Tip: Face the Parthenon.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Mike K,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens before joining a cruise. Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and it is a pleasure to learn that your stay with us was an enjoyable one. The view from our award-winning Premiere rooftop restaurant is indeed lovely. We thank you for your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back to the Athenaeum InterContinental on your next visit to Athens.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

I just recently stayed here in a superior room just for one night. Checkin was great and fast the lovely lady gave me free wifi and late checkout which was a good bonus. The room was huge and has a couch and a chair which was nice. We had room service and the guy was super nice (room service was expensive), the beds were super super comfortable as well and the bathroom was big and nice!
We went to breakfast and ate a huge buffet which was delicious.

Then went to the pool and had a bit of problems! There's a strict no bikini top off on the bottom level of the pool and you get asked to put it back on.. So we nicely moved upstairs and the pool lady was so rude when I got up and left and yelled at me to take my towel (even though it wasn't when I explained to her) she rolled her eyes and just grunted and walked away!
We then went in the nice pool and saw 5 girls all with their tops off and no one was doing anything about it (not that we care) but we thought it was a bit unfair! As I was in the pool I started to sneeze probably from the burning chlorine and the pool man asked if I could get out and sneeze instead of in the pool... I went down to order some nice mocktails and there were none available from the menu.. Only water!

Overall I had a great time here and nice and relaxing before a huge flight home! I would defiantly recommend to stay here. And in future without a doubt I would stay here too!

Thanks!

• Stayed July 2014
Dear 880rebby,
Thank you for staying with us at the Athenaeum InterContinental during your visit to Athens this month. We greatly appreciate your feedback and are delighted to learn that our accommodations and extensive breakfast buffet met with your expectations. With regard to our pool, may we take this opportunity to clarify that bathing or sunbathing topless is not permitted. We have also noted your comments about the choice of drinks at the pool and would like to apologise for the miscommunication on our part. Indeed, we do serve both alcoholic and non-alcoholic cocktails as well as soft drinks and other beverages. We thank you again for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back to the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens.
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We were welcomed as Ambassador IHG Members and directed to the Club Lounge where we were checked in and notified of the services offered by the hotel. We had booked a Club Room and we were upgraded to a room with Acropolis view.

The 9th Floor room was spacious and nicely decorated in shades of blue with comfortable bed and a sitting area with sofa and armchair and work desk. There was a large TV with large range of domestic/international channels, tea/coffee facilities and a good deal of storage space.

Bathrobes and slippers were provided as well as a welcome platter of fruit and bottled water, we also received an Ambassador welcome gift. The bathroom was ideal with combined bath/shower and a good selection of toiletries.

We had use of the Club Lounge which was spacious and a great place to relax with a large buffet breakfast available in the morning, lunchtime canapes and evening selection of appetisers with good range of alcoholic drinks available; snacks and soft drinks were also offered throughout the day. The Club terrace was a nice area with a good view of the Acropolis where a telescope was provided for better viewing of the temple.

The pool area although on the small side was pleasant with a good amount of sun loungers available and staff members always on hand to replenish drinks.

This is a fine establishment not too far from Central Athens with courteous staff members; we would stay again when in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank paullegate
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear paullegate,
Thank you for staying at the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens and for taking the time to write a review. As a valued Ambassador member, we greatly value your feedback and are delighted to learn that our Club InterContinental accommodations and facilities met with your expectations. We thank you for your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the very near future.