“Good but slow”

London
“Good but slow”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Location:
There isn't much around the hotel, mostly garages and empty shops. But the hotel offers a complimentary shuttle into town which is handy.

Room:
Stayed in a executive room which has been refurbished recently and was very well done. The decor was very nice, bed was very large and bathroom was a good size.

Food:
Mainly ate in Cafe Vienna and Cafe Zoe. Breakfast at Cafe Zoe was good, plenty of choice and quality was good. The menus between the two for lunch are similar, and quality is very good, along with dinner at Cafe Vienna. Service is polite and not intrusive. The only issue I have, and it's quite a big one, is that the food takes a long time to arrive, between 45-60 minutes after ordering. This was not an isolated incident but every meal we had in the hotel.

Front Office:
All polite and helpful, check-in and out was quick and painless.

Facilities:
I used the gym a few times and thought it was a decent size with well maintained equipment. The pool is very small and will get crowded very quickly, don't expect a large resort size pool. However, if you're in Athens it is unlikely that you'll be spending your days by the pool.

Room Tip: High floor, high even numbered rooms, you'll get a view of the Acropolis.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear jcyy,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens and for taking the time to write a review. It pleases us greatly to learn that your stay with us met with your expectations in terms of comfort, service and facilities. We have noted your comments about the delay you experienced in our Café Vienna whilst ordering a meal and would like to express our sincere apologies for the lapse in service on our part. While we aim to deliver a high standard of service at all times, on rare occasion, lapses occur and we appreciate any feedback that will assist us in further improving upon our service.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your constructive comments and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights after a Cunard cruise. The decor is very cold looking as you walk in and the staff at the front desk reflected this. She was trying to say the right things, but the attitude didn't match the words. The room was spacious and comfortable. Great bathroom. But, any positives for me were outweighed by the fees for internet and the coke at the pool for 6.5 euros. Not very welcoming! I noticed in the replies from the hotel in the reviews that they justify their prices by saying they offer a wide variety of choices. But, come on 6.5 euros for a coke! Almost every review complains about the food prices. I guess those that don't are on expense accounts. Luckily we had free breakfast which was a well presented buffet. Free shuttle to Plaka area was great. I'm going to let Cunard know we weren't happy with their choice for us. And when I checked out and mentioned the internet charge and the high prices she looked haughtily at me and said the charges were in line with other 5 star hotels as if I was a yokel. Not good PR.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Connie21eureka
Dear Connie21eureka,
Thank you for staying with us at the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens and for writing a review. Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and any comments that help us maintain the high standards for which InterContinental is known are greatly appreciated. We are indeed sorry for the lapse in service you experienced from our Front Desk staff and will ensure that your comments are shared with our team members in order to avoid similar occurrences in the future. Regarding our menu prices, may we take this opportunity to point out that they reflect the high quality of the product and service offered at our hotel. We thank you again for your feedback and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens.
Englewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I found on my recent trip to Athens that most 5 star hotels in Europe are really only 3 or 4 stars in the US. This place was exceptional. The rooms were huge, (even the outdated ones not yet renovated) clean and comfortable. The staff I encountered was friendly and helpful. If you join the rewards club in advance you have complimentary wifi. The only reason I did not rate it 5 stars is because the restaurants/bars in the hotel were extremely expensive. And the mildew smell outside my room in the hallway, but it went away after a day or 2. Other than that, its worth the money for the comfort.

Room Tip: Certain floors have been renovated. Stay away from floors 1 and 3.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Crystalqb76,
Thank you for staying at the Athenaeum InterContinental during your recent business trip to Athens. We are very happy to learn that you found our hotel ‘exceptional’ and that you enjoyed the service from our staff as well as the comfort of our rooms. Furthermore, we have noted your comments about our Food and Beverage prices. May we take this opportunity to inform you that our menus offer a wide variety of options and pricing categories, while our prices reflect the high quality of the product and service offered at our hotel. With regard to our rooms, while the majority have been renovated, we are currently in the stage of planning our next renovation phase. We greatly appreciate your review and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to our city.
London
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This is an excellent hotel.
The location may be a little off centre but the excellent public transport in Athens makes up for it. Use the tram instead of the metro as the stop is much closer to the hotel.
The staff in the hotel are fantastic and they are very helpful. We had our bag stolen while we were there in the metro, the staff in the hotel from the reception, business centre, guest relations to the concierge could not do enough for us to make us feel better about what happened. They were very very helpful and lovely about the whole thing.
Rooms are nice, large and clean.
Make sure you join IHG rewards in advance to get the free wifi.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear flyzeki
Thank you for staying at the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens and for your review of our hotel. We are very sorry for the unfortunate experience you had on the metro and trust that this incident did not mar your impression of Athens. We have noted the high level of service you received from our staff after your experience and thank you for your commendations. Once again, we thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens.
United States
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

I was somewhat discouraged about staying at this hotel after reading some reviews and complaints. That is why I had lower expectations, but overall the hotel is very nice, deserving more credit than most of the average reviews.

I got on a cab and as I approached the hotel, the shabby outsode got me worried, but as soon as you step in to the lobby, it is the standard expected from an Intercontinental 5 star.

The staffs were very friendly, attending to special requests. Marina was very helpful checking my membership status and getting me a complimentary WiFi.

Staying in a superior room, the size of the room is good, and yes I can see somewhat worn down feeling from some furnitures, especially the bathrooms. But with this price, ot is more than bareable.

Overall, I think I got more than what I bargained for, so I am quite satisfied with the stay. Unless you are very picky, this is a nice hotel to stay in. (Though the location is somewhat awkward)

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Stargazer1123,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Athenaeum InterContinental whilst in Athens earlier this month. Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and we are pleased to learn that your stay with us met with your expectations, both in terms of service and facilities. We thank you again for your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to our city.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I went there with a group of friends, and I honestly was satisfied of the service and the room. Everything was clean, people were nice and helpful as well. However, I must say the location of the hotel was a bit surprising, not to say it was disappointing. Moreover, I would have expected the WiFi to be free, but it wasn’t. Overall, the stay was good and I would recommend this hotel anyway.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Harry M,
Thank you for staying at the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens and for your recommendation. It pleases us greatly to learn that you were satisfied with our accommodations and service. Regarding complimentary access to the internet, may we take this opportunity to recommend that you join our loyalty program, IHG Rewards Club, as one of its benefits is complimentary internet access on the basic package for all members at all IHG Hotels and Resorts worldwide. We thank you again for staying with us and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Athens.
Glasgow
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I was pretty scathing about the Intercontinental last time I was here but we all deserve a second chance. Broadly, I was more impressed this time. I am on their loyalty programme so I got an upgrade to a very nice Club room with a great view of the Acropolis. Last time I was a bit put off by the location but it is a short walk or cab drive (3 Euros) from Sygrou-Fix metro and I guess it was put on this main business avenue. There is still a dearth of nearby venues but you are a short cab ride from Monastiraki and Plaka. About 200m from the hotel there is a reaosnable Italian cafe/restaurant, Ciao. Exit the main door and turn left and left again. Across the street there is also a little cafe, Fix Eat. I mention this as, unless you get Club lounge access, food and drinks are best only contemplated at this place if you are on expenses. I watched some World Cup football in the bar one night and was charged 18E for a Mojito. ONly problem (apart from the eye-watering price) is that it was not a mojito just some rum, club soda, whole ice cubes and chopped up mint with some lime slices. When I returned it and asked for a beer I was told the ice was not crushed as it melted too fast. No explanation for the lack of any sugar cane syrup, , lime juice or the chopped not muddled mint/ Club privileges mean you avoid paying well over the odds for breakfast (Greeks don't really do breakfast beyond great yoghurt, cheese, ham and bread so the Cafe Vienna offering isn't something you would miss). There is a nice pool but it is a bit disorganised and the pool crew don't seem to think getting a guest a sunbed is a priority. Free wifi (as contrasted to my past remarks about excessive charging) is a welcome plus though that arises as a result of IHG branding ratheer than any local generosity. And there really remains the rub, this looks like a five star hotel, essentially is a 4 star business venue but in its continuing rapacity towards guests really feels still like a bad 3 star. If you are still tempted consider an upgrade to the Club rooms on floors 7,8 and 9. When you add in all the freebies you otherwise pay for it represents the nearest you will get to value in what remains an over-priced venue. I found nearly all the staff warm, helpful and friendly but the one touch service is not what you get in other locations. Here, you really ar eonly speaking to the hotel operator who redirects your call. Now I expect I will prompt the formulaic repsonse thanking me for my comments and remarking that the costs and charges are the same as in other comparable hotels. Well, that's not so but , in any event, I compare this Intercontinental to others and when that (more relevant) comparison is made average is as good as I could go. I will return as I pass through Athens from time to time on business and need a boring, business level hotel but if your holiday tip to Athens is a treat, you want that something different or you operate on a tighter budget you should give this place a miss.

Room Tip: High floors -ask for a room with an Acropolis view but for no street noise ask for southern room. Ch...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ARDNAHOE
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear ARDNAHOE,
Thank you for your patronage to the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens and for your feedback. We are sorry to learn of the lapse in service that you received at our pool as well as your disappointment in the quality of the cocktail you had ordered. Please accept our apologies and rest assured that these comments will be shared with our team in order to avoid similar occurrences in the future. May we also take this opportunity to clarify that our Club InterContinental floors are located on the 8th and 9th floors of the hotel. Once again, we thank you for choosing to stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Athens.