“Did not find the quality I was expected”

InterContinental Athenaeum
Ranked #28 of 325 Hotels in Athens
THESSALONIKI
“Did not find the quality I was expected”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Objectively one of the best hotels in Athens but it is unacceptable for a high class hotel to pay for the wifi and to pay 4.5 Euros extra cost if you order a beer in your room during the normal working hours of the bar. Do they use a taxi to send the beer??? Even then would be cheaper!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank liokapas
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear ALEXANDROS P,
Thank you for staying with us at the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens and for taking the time to write a review. We have noted your comments regarding the cost of internet connection as well as the Room Service delivery charge and would like to inform you that our prices reflect the high quality of the product and service provided at our hotel. Moreover, we would like to take this opportunity to suggest that you join our loyalty program, IHG Rewards Club, as one of its benefits is complimentary internet access on the basic package at all InterContinental Hotels and Resorts worldwide. Once again, thank you for your valuable comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Athenaeum InterContinental on your next visit to Athens.
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stayed one night earlier this week to find out what the hotel is like, in order to spend my birthday there this coming weekend.

My first impression was really bad. I was in a wheelchair and instead of agreeing to open the double doors to each side of the revolving door, I was told to go through a service area door to the left of the main entry. In there, several rubbish bins, brooms and other cleaning equipment. I had to be wheeled within maybe 40 cms past all of them to get into the hotel. When I completed check in I explained I found that an unpleasant way to be treated and asked that when I went out later I not be taken out past all the rubbish. That afternoon security made me use the revolving door instead of the manual swing double door right next to it, in spite of my objection and expressing my concern that those doors can be dangerous for wheelchair users. The manual door wasn't even locked, all he had to do was open it but he refused.

The room I was given was ample, very comfortable and nearly large enough for me to move around in the wheelchair. I was able to reach most of the room and to wheel past the bed to the seating area. No view at all except of ground floor parts of the hotel and large nearby buildings.

The bathroom had a shower large enough to use in wheelchair if need be (not my case). However there was no kind of seating in the shower area at all. So if your wheelchair is not suitable for wetting it, the only options are to stand or to sit on the floor. The emergencies pull cord is quite short and someone lying on the floor could not reach it.

Very good air conditioning. Very comfortable bed and pillows. Crisp, cool bedding.

TV prices high, over 30 euros. One can't even listen to the radio without paying for a package. I found a Brahms concerto I could have listened to for 6 euros. Minibar prices high. Chocolate bar 6 times street rate, for example. Tea (not good quality) and instant coffee available free of charge.

Pool area inaccessible by wheelchair. One enters via spa shop, which is cluttered with sales modules which had to be moved. Smooth ramp to pool area. Then you get to the pool and it is set into a mezzanine level with about 6 steps, no ramp anywhere around it. Only entry into pool is two metal ladders, each with 4 rungs. I was able to use the pool since I am not wheelchair bound. Smoking is allowed by the pool, sunbeds are jammed together and the smoke of the person next to me was "enjoyed" by both of us. Life guard was very alert and tried to be helpful. Conditions did not allow him to do more than be courteous, but that he did willingly.

Returning tomorrow for two nights. I hope this time I can reach the top floor bar. Lift only reaches floor below and I was told by concierge I could be taken up in the staff and food lift. I may brave it for the sight of the blessed Acropolis, if again I get a room with no view at all.

Room Tip: Ask outright what view you will have there seems to be a lot of variation. Some rooms have large sho...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear AndreaSalgadoReyes,
Thank you for staying with us at the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens and for sharing your valuable feedback. We are truly sorry that upon your arrival and throughout your stay, our staff did not open the swing door next to the main revolving door to allow you to easily enter and exit the hotel. Please rest assured that this issue has already been raised with the staff members concerned in order to avoid a similar occurrence in the future. With regard to the accessible shower in your room, we would like to take this opportunity to inform you that our hotel may provide a shower chair for those guests who are wheelchair bound for use within the accessible shower. Regarding our selection of television and radio channels, we would like to clarify that a guest may select from 44 national and international television channels which are free of charge as well as 4 local radio channels which are also free of charge. For those guests who wish to see blockbuster movies, we offer Pay TV and musical concerts may also be selected at a charge. Moreover, we offer a special package of Euro 35 per day which allows unlimited viewing of films and music choices as well as internet access through the in-room television set. We do hope that your return visit to our hotel was an enjoyable one and would like to thank you again for your valuable comments.
Yours sincerely
London
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Location:
There isn't much around the hotel, mostly garages and empty shops. But the hotel offers a complimentary shuttle into town which is handy.

Room:
Stayed in a executive room which has been refurbished recently and was very well done. The decor was very nice, bed was very large and bathroom was a good size.

Food:
Mainly ate in Cafe Vienna and Cafe Zoe. Breakfast at Cafe Zoe was good, plenty of choice and quality was good. The menus between the two for lunch are similar, and quality is very good, along with dinner at Cafe Vienna. Service is polite and not intrusive. The only issue I have, and it's quite a big one, is that the food takes a long time to arrive, between 45-60 minutes after ordering. This was not an isolated incident but every meal we had in the hotel.

Front Office:
All polite and helpful, check-in and out was quick and painless.

Facilities:
I used the gym a few times and thought it was a decent size with well maintained equipment. The pool is very small and will get crowded very quickly, don't expect a large resort size pool. However, if you're in Athens it is unlikely that you'll be spending your days by the pool.

Room Tip: High floor, high even numbered rooms, you'll get a view of the Acropolis.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear jcyy,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens and for taking the time to write a review. It pleases us greatly to learn that your stay with us met with your expectations in terms of comfort, service and facilities. We have noted your comments about the delay you experienced in our Café Vienna whilst ordering a meal and would like to express our sincere apologies for the lapse in service on our part. While we aim to deliver a high standard of service at all times, on rare occasion, lapses occur and we appreciate any feedback that will assist us in further improving upon our service.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your constructive comments and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights after a Cunard cruise. The decor is very cold looking as you walk in and the staff at the front desk reflected this. She was trying to say the right things, but the attitude didn't match the words. The room was spacious and comfortable. Great bathroom. But, any positives for me were outweighed by the fees for internet and the coke at the pool for 6.5 euros. Not very welcoming! I noticed in the replies from the hotel in the reviews that they justify their prices by saying they offer a wide variety of choices. But, come on 6.5 euros for a coke! Almost every review complains about the food prices. I guess those that don't are on expense accounts. Luckily we had free breakfast which was a well presented buffet. Free shuttle to Plaka area was great. I'm going to let Cunard know we weren't happy with their choice for us. And when I checked out and mentioned the internet charge and the high prices she looked haughtily at me and said the charges were in line with other 5 star hotels as if I was a yokel. Not good PR.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Connie21eureka
Dear Connie21eureka,
Thank you for staying with us at the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens and for writing a review. Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and any comments that help us maintain the high standards for which InterContinental is known are greatly appreciated. We are indeed sorry for the lapse in service you experienced from our Front Desk staff and will ensure that your comments are shared with our team members in order to avoid similar occurrences in the future. Regarding our menu prices, may we take this opportunity to point out that they reflect the high quality of the product and service offered at our hotel. We thank you again for your feedback and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens.
Englewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I found on my recent trip to Athens that most 5 star hotels in Europe are really only 3 or 4 stars in the US. This place was exceptional. The rooms were huge, (even the outdated ones not yet renovated) clean and comfortable. The staff I encountered was friendly and helpful. If you join the rewards club in advance you have complimentary wifi. The only reason I did not rate it 5 stars is because the restaurants/bars in the hotel were extremely expensive. And the mildew smell outside my room in the hallway, but it went away after a day or 2. Other than that, its worth the money for the comfort.

Room Tip: Certain floors have been renovated. Stay away from floors 1 and 3.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Crystalqb76,
Thank you for staying at the Athenaeum InterContinental during your recent business trip to Athens. We are very happy to learn that you found our hotel ‘exceptional’ and that you enjoyed the service from our staff as well as the comfort of our rooms. Furthermore, we have noted your comments about our Food and Beverage prices. May we take this opportunity to inform you that our menus offer a wide variety of options and pricing categories, while our prices reflect the high quality of the product and service offered at our hotel. With regard to our rooms, while the majority have been renovated, we are currently in the stage of planning our next renovation phase. We greatly appreciate your review and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to our city.
London
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This is an excellent hotel.
The location may be a little off centre but the excellent public transport in Athens makes up for it. Use the tram instead of the metro as the stop is much closer to the hotel.
The staff in the hotel are fantastic and they are very helpful. We had our bag stolen while we were there in the metro, the staff in the hotel from the reception, business centre, guest relations to the concierge could not do enough for us to make us feel better about what happened. They were very very helpful and lovely about the whole thing.
Rooms are nice, large and clean.
Make sure you join IHG rewards in advance to get the free wifi.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear flyzeki
Thank you for staying at the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens and for your review of our hotel. We are very sorry for the unfortunate experience you had on the metro and trust that this incident did not mar your impression of Athens. We have noted the high level of service you received from our staff after your experience and thank you for your commendations. Once again, we thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens.
United States
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

I was somewhat discouraged about staying at this hotel after reading some reviews and complaints. That is why I had lower expectations, but overall the hotel is very nice, deserving more credit than most of the average reviews.

I got on a cab and as I approached the hotel, the shabby outsode got me worried, but as soon as you step in to the lobby, it is the standard expected from an Intercontinental 5 star.

The staffs were very friendly, attending to special requests. Marina was very helpful checking my membership status and getting me a complimentary WiFi.

Staying in a superior room, the size of the room is good, and yes I can see somewhat worn down feeling from some furnitures, especially the bathrooms. But with this price, ot is more than bareable.

Overall, I think I got more than what I bargained for, so I am quite satisfied with the stay. Unless you are very picky, this is a nice hotel to stay in. (Though the location is somewhat awkward)

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Stargazer1123,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Athenaeum InterContinental whilst in Athens earlier this month. Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and we are pleased to learn that your stay with us met with your expectations, both in terms of service and facilities. We thank you again for your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to our city.