“Ok if you want basic....”

Hotel Acropolis House
Ranked #80 of 281 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I had to think long and hard about my review of this place.... I chose it because of a) location and b) price. I like old buildings with character and have stayed in many around the world; I also feel that as you're out and about it doesn't matter too much about the hotel. This place is in the right location, on a pedestrianised street in the old town and it looks wonderful from the outside. The staff were pleasant enough.... But the building inside is basic. And I mean basic.

We learned that there was an odd situation with the en suites - ie that most of them were separate from the room and dreading the idea of crossing landings in my towel after a shower I asked up front for a room with an attached bathroom, which I was assured I'd get. We arrived there and we're given a room on the 4th floor (no lift) and walking through the house it looked more run down....the room itself had a balcony with a view of the acropolis but our bathroom was across the hall. We therefore asked to be moved and we were shifted to a room downstairs not far from reception. The noise was pretty bad - inside and out, doors banging and the kitchen noise; no privacy and this combined with the awful hard bed meant we were constantly tired.

The breakfast was served up in a tiny room where you could hardly move between the seats and the selection was poor although to be fair the price was reasonable at 5euros. I understand its an old building and quirky shaped but I do think they could improve the building and the use of the rooms. The bedroom we had was very basic and the bathroom was tiny, it's a good job neither of us are overweight!

Fundamentally it's all about what is important to you whether you stay here. If I returned to Athens I would pay a bit more to get a place with a little more comfort. And bear in mind they now only take cash.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shantele72

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Acropolis House Hotel is in a superb location for visiting the great sites. It's on a pedestrianised street, spotlessly clean and very professionally run. It is not a modern streamlined hotel but if you want a very reasonably priced hotel for a capital city in a converted Athenian house of great character, Acropolis House will suit you. Jasmine is funny, knowledgable and extremely efficient. she and Andreas couldn't have been more helpful, storing our luggage while we made an overnight trip to Delphi and finding information on transport etc. We would certainly stay again. Thank you.

Room Tip: upstairs best. We were offered help with luggage
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Staff, especially Jasmine, we're very helpful in guiding us towards activities and how to get to them. The location was excellent, close to all the major sights and in the Plaka. Price was reasonable. The room and bathroom are what you would expect in an older house. Breakfast was very good. Basically, it's an economy hotel. We had a room (room 108) that had it's own private bath and the room next to us had it's own balcony. We were happy with our stay. Mary M.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The welcome I received at the hotel was friendly, but it would have been nice to get a little help with my cases. I was given the room beside the reception desk, which was a bit noisy. My bathroom was in the basement, so I had to walk past reception in my pjs, to go downstairs to a cold & drafty shower/toilet. There was little privacy. I would only suggest this hotel, if someone was backpacking, and wanted a cheap place to stay. The restaurants close by were very good.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I really wouldn't recommend HAH I am sorry to say. Cash only in 2014? Lousy job of remodeling - no effort to soundproof the rooms. Our room was behind the reception desk separated by what must have been a piece of cardboard. We heard every word or sound in the lobby. The sheets felt like they completely missed the rinse cycle and were full of soap/bleach. My daughter woke up with bug bites covering her neck, chest and shoulders. And for some reason, when Jasmine booked a taxi for us - it cost twice what we paid for the same trip if we hired the cab on our own. That left us with a really bad taste. Also, this is not a cheap hotel. I am really sorry we chose it as I'm sure we could have done better somewhere else. No idea what kind of insects were living in the dark, dinghy and noisy rooms at this hotel but they bit the heck out of my daughter. They make you give them your room key when you leave the hotel to sightsee or eat. I think that is probably because they get tired of replacing lost keys but it also felt very wrong and inappropriate to me. It meant always taking your money and passport with you when you left your room. Why should they be able to get into your room when you're gone? Wow!
Room 104 - totally awful.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 April 2014

After a warm and helpful welcome from Jasmine we were somewhat disappointed in the room. Very little space around the double and single bed jammed into the room. The separate private bathroom was across the hall. Small balcony looked down onto the street.
The beds were terrible - hard and lumpy like the pillows. The adjoining rooms also had separate bathrooms so all night there were doors banging. It appears that there was a competition to see who could make the most noise! Leave the room, BANG, go into bathroom, BANG, leave bathroom, BANG, close bedroom door, BANG! Room 303 is right opposite the bathrooms so we copped all of it!
Breakfast is just adequate. WiFi very good.

Room Tip: Not rooms 302,303 or 304 (see comments above)
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Our family was here for 3 days in April. Any staff we worked with were friendly and helpful. We had a large room on the 4th floor (403). There was a funk when we got there (I would blame the smell on 100 year old pipes), but an open window cleared it out. The window we opened was a view of a full moon over the Acropolis, great way to start a trip. It was a room with a view and balcony on the other side, sleeping for 4 and bathroom in the room.

Jet lag had us sleeping in until 11:30 the first morning and the staff was still willing to make up our room into the afternoon, even though they were trying to wrap up for Palm Sunday. Breakfast was tasty the day we made it down. Our last morning we were leaving about 6 AM and they offered a small starter breakfast of toast and jam, coffee and juice.

I do feel bad for rooms 110, 111, 112. They are on the first floor that everyone walks past at all hours. It is directly outside the breakfast area we took our early morning breakfast. We can try to be quiet, but church mice we are not.

Some rooms are en-suit, others have a private bath, but it is down the hall.

The location was walking distance to everything, and we saw everything we could.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family