“Basic but good enough”
Review of Dryades Hotel

Dryades Hotel
Ranked #88 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed at Dryades Hotel for 5 nights on September, 2013.

Pros: Cheap. Excellent location (we went walking everywhere). Clean. Good views of the city from the roof. English spoken. Kind and helpful staff. Good breakfast. Lively neighbourhood, with plenty of choices to eat nearby. Wi-fi everywhere (though not a very strong signal).

Cons: Hard to arrive by car (the hotel is at the end of a very narrow cul-de-sac - be sure to check the address on your navigator, we got terribly lost!).The free parking they provide is, in fact, in the same little street, where space is seriously limited and shared with the neighbours. Also, the bathroom's ceiling was very low and we didn't have shower curtains, so it was a little uncomfortable. Oh, and there were lots of ants, despite the bug net.

Overall: Don't expect too much, but it's an ok budget choice. It was certainly good enough for us, and we probably would repeat.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Meritxell_P

Reviewed 19 October 2013

My fiancé is Greek and we went to Greece for the first time for a 17 day trip. What a great way to begin our fabulous vacation! Little did I know that he was going to propose to me in Mykonos so this truly was a great way to begin our trip since it started it at the Dryades Hotel because it truly set the tone. Kostas, Maria, Demetri, the other Kostas, all the staff, were wonderful and seriously made us feel like family! They went above and beyond. We got in very early after a long flight from the US but the room was ready and they had breakfast waiting for us though in my experience with hotels you don't get your breakfast the day you check in but rather the following days. The breakfast delicious and plentiful and on their rooftop with a beautiful view of the Acropolis. Our room had a balcony with an acropolis view and I highly recommend booking with them and getting a room with a view! Both day and night, up on the rooftop or on our balcony, we could just sit and stare at the beautiful site. Kostas, the owner, was always there to ensure that I got out of the elevator since I kept forgetting the door does not automatically open which is what we are use to in the states. He would kind of chuckle as he opened for me while I would just stand there waiting! So many things they did to really make it feel like home. Loved having access to the fridge and kitchen, all came and went in and out of the kitchen as they pleased. The location was great, restaurants and stores and bakeries all close by. Omonia Square is within walking distance and we felt perfectly safe. Our last day we were running late and they were more than happy to feed us breakfast after they were already done doing so! The hotel is very quaint, the A/C worked great, we were perfectly comfortable and if we head back to Athens will stay there again! We recommend this hotel highly!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Laura E
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Me and my wife were suppose to have a nice vacation in Greece this October.
2 Days before our flight we found out that my wife has a sirous complication with our pregnancy and we had to cancel our trip and be in under close monitoring in the hospital.

I emailed the hotel and told them the reason for canceling the 2 nights we booked.
they refused to refund my stay and charged me for 75% of my stay. 60 euro instead of 85 euro.

I feel that in my situation they could have been a lot more considerate, they were really heartless.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Narfster
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Rooms basic but comfortable, breakfast lovely, air conditioning worked well and an interesting neighbourhood within easy walking distance of the centre. Staff were pleasant and there are some good restaurants only five minutes away. We slept well and would recommend it.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cullen2010
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We just stayed at this hotel for 1 night as we were passing through Athens on our way to Crete. Taxis from the airport run at a flat rate of 35 Euros to the center of the city. Easy enough to find, and we arrived to a nice welcome. The staff were so nice and helpful. Just around the corner of the hotel there is a bakery where you can get all sorts of sweets like donuts or walnut cakes.

We liked how quiet it was, situated in a residential neighborhood full of vibrant cafes, we wandered about 10 minutes away (after the front desk gave us a map and kindly showed us where to go) and found many restaurants to choose from, we had the most delicious meal I've had all year at the Taverna Pozania- I'm a Chef & picky and I literally felt my head spinning at the deliciousness of it all.

The rooftop has nice views of the city, peaceful and a good place to enjoy a coffee. The room was clean and the internet worked well in the room.

The only thing we would change was the double beds, but maybe that was our mistake as we could have possibly asked for 1 big bed but it was only one night so we didn't mind too much. Fresh cold water jug in the refrigerator of the room was a nice welcome.

Also our shower handle was broken which made washing ourselves tricky but we only noticed it late at night so we didn't want to bother the staff with it at that hour. Overall we loved this hotel, the price was right and when we return to Athens we will be staying here. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lovelyivealis
Reviewed 10 September 2013

This hotel is a nice hotel with nice rooms situated on the edge of the busy center of Athens. The area around the hotel has a lot of taverns, bars and restaurants. The neighborhood is vibrant and busy until late. The personnel are very nice and helpful, nice clean rooms and some rooms have a front garden where you can chill outside. It is good affordable so do not expect a 5 star hotel. For the more alternative experience of Athens, I would recommend it.

Room Tip: The hotel consists of two parts : Orion and Dryades. Ask for a Dryades room with a garden.