“great spot”

Ranked #23 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Netherlands
“great spot”
Reviewed 12 August 2008

we stayed 3 days in this little hotel and we were very happy with the quiet spot, very near the Acropolis. The people there, Nancy and Susan, were friendly and spoke impeccably english. We returned at the end of our Greek Odyssey, in June 2008 and got a good service again. Good price too.

• Liked — situation near the acropolis but in quiet neighbourhood
  • Disliked — if your room is on the 2 or 3 floor: staircase
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
NY
Reviewed 11 August 2008

After having read a favorable review of Marble House in Fodor's, I booked a room with AC for my three nights in Athens. When I arrived, I was given a tiny room without AC and a door that could have easily been opened with a credit card. I attempted to sleep, but it was unbearably warm. When I asked to be moved to a room with an AC, I was told that there was no room with AC available but was offered a room with a celing fan. When I walked into the room, it smelled of feces. At this point, I was so fed up that I asked for my money back. It was not until I called the tourist police that the hotel clerk offered to give me back half the money. This was not how I had envisioned the beginning of my vacation. STAY AWAY!!!

• Liked — Absolutely nothinig!
  • Disliked — Room, service, cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
5 Thank jpdor11
Roma
Reviewed 30 July 2008

Very pleasant stay.Ten minutes walk from Acropolis.Rooms were clean and renovated. Very friendly stuff

• Liked — Very clean rooms
  • Disliked — Lack of elevator
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
Guernsey
Reviewed 22 July 2008

We stayed in Marble House Pension for 3 nights and found it clean and comfortable, especially considering it was the cheapest option we could find in Athens (even cheaper than the youth hostel).

The rooms were of a good size and there was a fridge to keep water and drinks chilled. Also, we got clean towels everyday and the staff were very helpful.

It is near all the main historical attractions and is a 15- 20 minute walk from the Plaka which is lovely for an evening out.

If you are travelling on a budget this place is perfect!!

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
New England
Reviewed 31 March 2008

Overall, we were very disappointed in the quality and the value. Our room was freezing cold (in March) and there was no heat in the rooms. The beds were uncomfortable and lumpy with huge sags in the middle. Hot water in the shower was spotty and one window didn't have a curtain. Not all rooms have a refrigerator, so be sure to ask to see the room when you check in -- despite the variation in amenities, the prices (within one price class) are the same. That said, the location is convenient -- 10 minute walk from the subway and within walking distance to the Acropolis and main tourist areas. But we enjoyed being OUTSIDE this hotel FAR more than we enjoyed our time in it.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The rooms themselves
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank wanderlust218
Washington, DC
Reviewed 18 November 2007

Marble House is cheap but basic and in a fine location. It would've all been well and good had the bed and blankets not been infested!!! I got back to the US and went immediately the hospital where I found out that I'd contracted scabies after staying at Marble House for 3 nights. My entire body is covered in red sores from the microscopic mites. BEWARE.

• Disliked — the bed bugs
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
5 Thank klafhms
geneve
Reviewed 17 November 2007

I was travelling in athens with a friend of mine, and we especially appreciated this place, as during our trip, we went to a lot of different hotels around greece, but this hotel was the only one which gave us a true experience of greek hospitality.
It was as well a nice occasion to meet young people and students from ollover the world and share very good time with them

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends