“I've ran away from there”
Review of Marble House

and 1 more site!
Marble House
Ranked #18 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 13 August 2008

The management of this hotel is absolutely not customer-oriented, but only money-oriented.

I booked my journey by phone. They asked for my credit-card number (BTW, practice that I hate), in order to be sure of my presence there, but later they asked to be payed cash, not wanting to afford the commission on credit card transactions.

I arrived in the middle of the nigth: no people present, no assistance at all, just the key left on the desk. If I've had any problems, I would be on my own.

The room was at the 2nd floor, no lift obviously, they hadn't told me... luckily I packed light. The room was pretty bad maintained, scratched paint on the wall, powder on the bed and on the floor, holes in the bath towels.

On the next morning, I've left that hotel....

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank amicofritz

Reviewed 12 August 2008

we stayed 3 days in this little hotel and we were very happy with the quiet spot, very near the Acropolis. The people there, Nancy and Susan, were friendly and spoke impeccably english. We returned at the end of our Greek Odyssey, in June 2008 and got a good service again. Good price too.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2008

After having read a favorable review of Marble House in Fodor's, I booked a room with AC for my three nights in Athens. When I arrived, I was given a tiny room without AC and a door that could have easily been opened with a credit card. I attempted to sleep, but it was unbearably warm. When I asked to be moved to a room with an AC, I was told that there was no room with AC available but was offered a room with a celing fan. When I walked into the room, it smelled of feces. At this point, I was so fed up that I asked for my money back. It was not until I called the tourist police that the hotel clerk offered to give me back half the money. This was not how I had envisioned the beginning of my vacation. STAY AWAY!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
5  Thank jpdor11
Reviewed 30 July 2008

Very pleasant stay.Ten minutes walk from Acropolis.Rooms were clean and renovated. Very friendly stuff

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 July 2008

We stayed in Marble House Pension for 3 nights and found it clean and comfortable, especially considering it was the cheapest option we could find in Athens (even cheaper than the youth hostel).

The rooms were of a good size and there was a fridge to keep water and drinks chilled. Also, we got clean towels everyday and the staff were very helpful.

It is near all the main historical attractions and is a 15- 20 minute walk from the Plaka which is lovely for an evening out.

If you are travelling on a budget this place is perfect!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2008

Overall, we were very disappointed in the quality and the value. Our room was freezing cold (in March) and there was no heat in the rooms. The beds were uncomfortable and lumpy with huge sags in the middle. Hot water in the shower was spotty and one window didn't have a curtain. Not all rooms have a refrigerator, so be sure to ask to see the room when you check in -- despite the variation in amenities, the prices (within one price class) are the same. That said, the location is convenient -- 10 minute walk from the subway and within walking distance to the Acropolis and main tourist areas. But we enjoyed being OUTSIDE this hotel FAR more than we enjoyed our time in it.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank wanderlust218
Reviewed 18 November 2007

Marble House is cheap but basic and in a fine location. It would've all been well and good had the bed and blankets not been infested!!! I got back to the US and went immediately the hospital where I found out that I'd contracted scabies after staying at Marble House for 3 nights. My entire body is covered in red sores from the microscopic mites. BEWARE.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends