“Great budget hotel, friendly staff and clean, close to buses”
Review of Orion Hotel

and 1 more site!
Orion Hotel
Ranked #114 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We arrived early evening from long flight to be greeted by friendly staff in reception. We had booked a room in the sister hotel Dryades, but were offered choice of rooms and choose a newly renovated room in Orion hotel with a small balcony. We really enjoyed our stay, staff were very helpful, guiding us to nearby bus stop to travel to Syntagma square. They also booked a taxi for us for our very early flight, which arrived on time. The rate included breakfast serviced on thereof terrace with views of the acropolis, the view was great and the buffet greek style breakfast was delicious. We would definitely stay here again. It wouldn't be fair thought not to mention, the location is in a student area and we did experience some noise at night.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I was originally supposed to stay at Dryades instead of Orion, but when I was offered an Acropolis-view double at Orion instead of my budget double at Dryades, the decision was easy. The rooms have recently been renovated (within the past 2 months or so), and while they are relatively small, they offer enough room for at least a few suitcases and other stuff comfortably.

Pros:
- Fantastic price
- Clean, nice rooms with water, comfortable (although slightly hard) beds, and a great view of the acropolis
- Reliable free WiFi able to handle video-streaming (a huge plus in my book!)
- Very friendly staff
- The area of the hotel has a lot of nice bars and restaurants, and is slightly away from the madness of the absolute center of Athens

Cons:
- The shower is a traditional European size. This wasn't a problem for me, but if you don't like to be cozy with the walls during your shower, it might not be great. There were also a couple days where the shower only seemed to have about 5 minutes of hot water, but usually it wasn't a problem.
- Far from a metro station (the nearest two are Omonia, which is about a 15 min walk, and Syntagma, which is about a 20 min walk)
- Returning to the hotel from the city center is an uphill battle, literally -- Just as the walk to leave the hotel is all downhill, coming back is tiring. Of course, with the very reasonable prices for taxis in Athens, I just took a taxi back to the hotel from a metro station in the center. It cost about 3 euros, and was totally worth it.
- The area where the hotel is located (Exarchia) is supposedly not the safest at night, but from my experience I had no troubles either day or night, and if you want, you can always take a taxi back in the evening.
- The TV is from the 1950s. You shouldn't be watching TV in Athens anyway, but it's worth noting.

All in all, this hotel suited my needs very well: I wanted a budget hotel with good (free) wifi in a safe place with comfortable rooms. I spent most of my time (about 12 hours a day) exploring the city, so it made for an excellent home base for that, but if you want to return to your hotel during the day, you'll have to make the somewhat daunting uphill walk. If you're looking for a super-luxurious palace, you will be disappointed, but if you're looking for a very affordable and comfortable place to base yourself in Athens, I would suggest giving either Orion or Dryades a try. I know I will be coming back when I visit Athens again.

Room Tip: Rooms with an acropolis view are obviously the best -- Don't hesitate to ask!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Adam K
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I stayed there twice in July 2013 with my two kids (8 and 13). The rooms are small but neat, there is a wonderful terrace on the top with the nicest view on the acropolis at night. The neighborhood is great for my standards, active, full of great places to eat, drink and to get lost through the stairs and graffitis. The people at the hotel are all helpful and really really nice. Really nothing to complain about, and certainly not the price which was more than acceptable.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank oneoone042
Reviewed 23 November 2012

It is a very plain, old building, but it is in the best area ever! You have to climb a bit of stairs becase it is up to the hill but it is ok. Of course it is a problem if someone has a disability.
The owner, mr Kostas I think, is a really nice person! Warm, honest and very helpful!
The clean lady is a very sweet person too and the hotel is clean.
The only problem is that we had to share the bathroom with more than 2 rooms, but the bathroom was always very clean!
I would definitely go back and I would recommend it to anyone that loves budget and clean accommodation!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank travelner
Reviewed 28 June 2012

This hotel was recommended by a family friend, but I can't see why. It boasts a view of the acropolis and convenient location, but the view does not make up for the distance or Bohemia in which it is located. The walk to the nearest metro station was at least a 15 minute hike through densly crowded and dirty streets, littered with trash, and beggars. I didnt even know that it was possible to grafitti every single wall in an entire city. I litterally walked upon a police raid when retrieving my morning coffee. Other than this, friendly staff, the A/C works, pretty clean.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 24 February 2012

This is a great spot. I'll preface the review by saying that my girlfriend and I weren't expecting much, and are very easy going. Therefore if you are looking for a nice hotel maybe look elsewhere. This is a comfortable and adequate hotel...with a killer view.
Pros:
Close enough to everything, but somewhat removed and thus quieter. 15 minutes from metro.
Friendly staff
A basic kitchen is provided, but it's not easy to cook since the supplies arent the best and old.
AMAZING panoramic view of Athens including the Acropolis and Licovittus. Unconstructed 180 view from above Athens. I can only imagine sitting on the patio at night in the summer. The kitchen and patio are on the same level so you have dynamite views while cooking and eating.
Many coffee shops just down the street in many directions. Same goes for restaurants.
Amazing produce market opens at your doorstep every Saturday from 7 until 2. This is the best time to load up on fruits and veg.
a gym is located 2 minutes away. Very old, and basic, but for 8 euros, you can work out for 1 week. First time is free. It's open 10-10. The gym has likely not been upgraded since 1960.
Cons:
Hotel backs on to a park and there are drug users around from time to time. One guy even spent the night in the alley below us talking to himself. In certain alley's people have been spotted shooting up heroin. So this is all rather distasteful, but my girlfriend and I have never felt in danger. I wouldn't want her walking around in the evening alone though.
The internet provided is a huge rip off. It costs 10 euros for 24 hours of service or 15 euros for 7 days worth.The catch is it must be used within 7 days. Sonic you only use half of it, you need to buy more. Also, it is sooooooo slow, that you'll likely want to pull your hair out. only one. Omputer can use the access code at the same time, solid often go to a coffee shop and. Use the wifi while my girlfriend was on the computer at home.
If you are in any way disabled and have issues with climbing hills or steep stairs, maybe reconsider. The hotel can be accessed by road, but it's on a hill so either you'll need to climb 30 feet of stairs or walk up a hilly road.

All in all I'd stay here again!

All in l

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank acovk
Reviewed 21 January 2011

I stayed there for 3 nights. The night we arrive they didnt have our room ready so they switch us to another one which it was not what we order. We order room with toilette and they gave us room with no toilette. Second day they didnt change the blankets and the room was undone. Third day the same so we complained but the receptionist said it wasnt his responsability but the responsability of the cleaning person.
N'importe quoi. What a joke!!!
It is a shame because the place location is very nice.

• Stayed: August 2010