“Good location, hotel is fine”
Review of NJV Athens Plaza

NJV Athens Plaza
Ranked #38 of 281 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 31 July 2008

Staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was good with a spacious bathroom. Very convenient as the hotel is located right in the centre of the city and handy to most of the sights. Not too far to the Plaka. Our only gripe was the noise - our room overlooked the back lane and it was very noisy during the night. Needs double glazed windows.

• Stayed: May 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed 8 May 2008

We spent the last 2 nights of our honeymoon to Greece at the Athnes Plaza and it was awful. Our "queen" size bed on our honeymoon was actually 2 twins beds pushed together so that my husband or myself kept falling into the crack between the beds all night. The food at the breakfast buffet tasted almost stale. Finally, the hotel would not provide us with an iron so we could iron out the wrinkles in our fancy clothes to spend a nice evening out in Athens- they told us we could spend 13-26 euros each on having the hotel press my husband's shirt and my dress. When I called back to inquire as to WHY we couldnt have an iron the manager was irate with me on the phone and told me to stop bothering them about it. Every other hotel in Greece we stayed in had an iron in the room...
We were so furious with the way we were treated at this hotel that we would seriously reccommend researching what makes a hotel 5-star. This place was an absolute kip.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank sile625
Reviewed 6 January 2008

Great location overlooking Syntagma Square. Very easy to get to -- we took the metro from the airport to Syntagma Square and the hotel was right there. Large, very nicely furnished, comfortable suite. Large white marble bath. One of the few hotels offering a family suite that sleeps four. The suite consisted of two large rooms, each with twin beds pushed together. Each had a large flat screen TV, two chairs and an end table as well as bedside tables. The master bedroom had a long dresser with dressing table/bench. One bath. Very clean and comfortable. Good beds and good shower. Unfortunately, the hairdryer was one of the older style wall-mounted units that is very slow and gets uncomfortably hot to hold long before it dries your hair (if you have long hair). Also, reading lamps over the bed could be better. Very nice breakfast and in all other respects, very nice. Also, the hotel provided a welcome gift of a bottle of wine and fresh fruit. Would definitely stay there again or recommend it to others. Would be very comfortable for business travel too.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank 59GoTravel
Reviewed 11 December 2007

The NJV has a great location especially for tourists. We stayed here on business before we traveled on to a getaway in Crete. The staff was very nice and helpful. The wait staff in the lounge area were very friendly. Our room was average, it could have been kept up a little better. There was no WIFI, we had to purchase internet service hard wired to our laptop every day. The biggest issue I had was the amount of cigarette smoke! You couldn't get away from it, but that is not the hotel's fault, that is just the way it is in all of Athens/Greece from what I have been told and from what I saw while I was there.

Stayed: November 2007
5  Thank MomCT
Reviewed 31 August 2007

The Plaza is the Grande Bretagne's and King George's poorer cousin. I have stayed in all 3 on business and although the Plaza is meant to be a 5* it is no where near as nice as the other two which are adjacent to it. The location is very good if you are a tourist or on business in Athens, but the whole hotel is a bit rundown and jaded. Everything inside just feels and looks old. Rooms are ok, definitely spacious, but again worn out and not up to 5* standard. I have stayed in better 3* hotels, but being fair this is a 4* max (but again, one that is showing the signs of age)

Stayed: May 2007
7  Thank gordongecko
Reviewed 15 August 2007

This is my number one choice for accomodation when staying in Athens. I frequent the city often and since finding this hotel, it has become my choice every time.

I would definitely call this hotel a 'business hotel' as there is no pool nor spa, but I don't mind this at all. The rooms are quite spacious, and I highly recommend requesting a room on one of the top floors as the views are fantastic and each room I've stayed in is unique. Some have hardwood floors and featherbeds, and others have gigantic balconies (although nowhere to sit). All of the rooms are tastefully decorated, modern and comfortable, with large marble bathroooms, and fantastic air-conditioning - great for steamy summers in Athens!

I have spent many hours sleeping in these beds, and I do suggest asking for a double, as most rooms have two twins pushed together. The double beds are amazingly comfortable, and it's not difficult to sleep as I have found the rooms to be quite quiet for a hotel in the middle of the city - especially on the top floors.

Speaking of being in the middle of the city - it truly is! It's incredibly convenient hopping on the Metro from the airport - don't even bother taking a cab as the Metro is super clean and takes you directly to Syntagma Square in front of the hotel in about 40 minutes (about the same time as a taxi). Once you are there, you can virtually walk everywhere - the famous shopping/pedestrian street of Ermou is nearly right outside the door, the hip local neighborhood of Kolonaki is a 5 minute walk to fancy shops, restaurants and cafes, and not to mention Parliment is right across the street. I love to walk, so heading to the Acropolis and Plaka by foot is a lovely 20 minute stroll.

Before you venture out into the city, I highly suggest making the breakfast buffet - at least for the filter coffee, if anything else - it is the simply the BEST. Then when you return from a long afternoon, grab a frappe or freddo in the lounge cafe, which is always bustling with Athenian business people.

Again, can't recommend this hotel enough. I stay here often and the hotel staff always remembers me and has never let me down in service and courtesy.

Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank midwestern_wanderer
Reviewed 16 July 2007

We recently stayed at the Athens Plaza for 3 nights and we enjoyed ourselves. This hotel is right in Syntagma Square and close to all of the important sites. Everything is in walking distance. It is right next door to the Grande Bretagne (the best hotel in Athens) but it is much more economical.

Check-in: Our check-in (and check-out) went smoothly. We arrived early in the morning and we were able to check in to our room by 10:30 am which we were happy about because we were exhausted and we just wanted to shower before getting a bite to eat. We were glad we didn't have to wait until the typical 2 pm check-in time.

Room: Our room was on the 2nd floor, facing the street- so no view of the Acropolis (not sure if any of the rooms have an acropolis view). We did hear some noise from the street, but you are in a city so that is to be expected. The room was clean and they gave us slippers and robes to use in the room (plus many other amenities that i took- i am an ammenity thief!). The beds were 2 twin size beds put together to make a king size bed. Our room also had a balcony (i believe all rooms do).

Service: We were very happy with the service. Our luggage had ripped on the way here and the front desk was very helpful- they looked up a shoemaker to see if he could possibly repair the luggage and also gave us packing tape to tape up the damage (which is what we ended up doing). Our rooms were cleaned daily and towels switched twice a day (there was turn down service)

Breakfast: This hotel offers a full American breakfast- it was the same menu everyday. My husband loved the coffee here. The scrambled eggs were runny (like they always are everywhere else), but if you wanted them to make you fried eggs they would. There were breads, cheeses, fruit (although most of it was from a can), sausage, bacon, cereals, etc. There was also champagne

Location: Like I said earlier, this location is perfect. It is next door to the Grande Bretagne (they have a rooftop restaurant where you can see the Acropolis- very pricey though!!) and across the street from the National Garden and the Parliament. It is also across the street from the entrance of Metropolis (one of the main roads that leads to the flea markets and borders the Plaka). A 10 minute walk will get you into Plaka and the flea markets. Also, it is about 10 minutes to the Hard Rock Cafe. It is on the opposite end of the Acropolis (but you could walk here if you want) or you could hop on the Metro at the corner (only .80 euro one way). The Metro system is very easy to operate and will take you anywhere you want- including the new Olympic Stadium

Downfall: The only bad thing about this hotel is that there is no pool. I believe in Frommer's book it says there is a pool and i thought i saw one online, but the hotel was recently renovated and there is no longer a pool. It would have been nice to have a dip in the pool in the afternoons because walking around athens in july is HOT!!! However, I am still giving the hotel a rating of excellent, because what they had was excellent.
We were also hoping for a fitness room, but couldn't find one here- maybe that was taken out in the renovation as well.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family