“Great location, but not deserving of 4 stars”
Review of Hera Hotel

Hera Hotel
Ranked #18 of 285 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Location is EXCELLENT, but the hotel is very weird- the lobby is reminiscent of the Tower of Terror ride. They must have hired a really great photographer for the website to make it look so grand and pretty. Didn't compare to other 4 or 5 star hotels in service either (if you need toothpaste or something you need to go down to the lobby), but depends what you're going for- definitely not the most romantic place. Made me wish I splurged on the Starwood properties in the area.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Chatzilia, General Manager at Hera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience with us. I regret to learn that you were disappointed with the hotel decor and services.

We understand that design can be very personal to each individual’s taste. Our interior designer was inspired by the neoclassical style combined with a modern detail.

Regarding your comment on your request from the front desk, kindly note that our housekeeping and room service department operates all requests. However, there are occasions where both departments are either busy or closed (after 24:00), so our front desk department will have to assist you .

I would be very grateful if you could contact me personally as I would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us.

I look forward to hearing from you and to being of service.

Iro Chatzilia

Write a ReviewReviews (1,123)

Reviewed 10 June 2011

6 of us used this as a base for exploring Athens in 2 days. We walked to the new Acropolis museum(nice lunch there). Walked to the Plaka, 5 minutes, nice lunch at Psaras. We used Taxi George for all our transfers and 1/2 day Mercedes limo sighseeing in Athens. Always on time, you pay more but you get more. Restaurant Mani Mani 2 minutes from hotel was amazing as was the rooftop restaurant at the hotel. Breakfast at hotel is bountiful and plenty to start your day. Rooms are small but typical for European cities, bathrooms very very, very nice. we had Acropolis view which was a plus. Overall a perfect choice and value in Athens. For first timers Athens is not the prettiest city in Europe but you come for history...

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jackman1
Chatzilia, General Manager at Hera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us.

I am truly delighted to learn that you enjoyed our prime location and service levels .

We look forward to the privilege of welcoming you back. In the meantime, we remain at your service.

Reviewed 6 May 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights during our Honeymoon trip to Greece. Very nice hotel.. the staff was so nice , and gave us a lot of ideas of where to eat and what to do. The rooms were clean and everything inside the Room was nice. Internet access etc.

We loved the food at this Hotel as well.

And the LOCATION- the best for us. you can walk anywhere. And loved it!! even the bus stop was close. so location-wise, for us was perfect.

I will definitely recommend this hotel to other travelers. I have A big issue around hotels, and I don't stay in just any place normally... MAYBE not the best place for a honeymoon couple.. because they don't do anything special when you arrive or champagne in the room etc. But we didn't care about stuff like that actually..

1  Thank LoveTravellingSOmuch

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your generous feedback from your recent stay with us during your honeymoon.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay. It truly is the highest form of praise when we are recognized for our services.

Once again, we thank you for your nice comments and your future recommendation We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the mean time, remain at your service.

Reviewed 26 April 2011

Superb location, very nice rooms, great roof top , very friendly and professional staff!
We definetely love this cozy hotel
Hera Hotel will be for sure from now on our sure destination in Athens, I will strongly recomande it to everyone...thanks to all staff of Hera Hotel , with special mention to Mr. great Dimitris:

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Chatzilia, General Manager at Hera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2011

Dear Soyzy14,

Thank you for choosing Hera Hotel and for sharing your impression of the hotel.

I am very happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your return and wishing you the best.

At your disposal,

Reviewed 20 April 2011

I travelled with my wife from Australia and chose to stay in Hera Hotel while in Athens. I have to admit that our stay in Hera Hotel exceeded our expectations and was excellent in every single way. The staff (incl. the Manager of the Hotel who tried personally to make as feel at home and as comfortable as possible) was super kind and helpful. The location was amazing (next to the Acropolis museum and the historic center). The views of the Acropolis from our room and the roof garden were breathtaking. The rooms were very clean and the whole decoration was very classy. Overall I have to say it is one of the best value for money hotels I have ever stayed in.

Thanks again for a wonderful stay.

James and Amanda

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear James & Amanda,

Thank you for choosing Hera Hotel on your visit to Athens and thank you for sharing your comments.

I am very happy to read about your experience and glad that we exceeded your expectations. My team works very hard to ensure that each stay experience is personalized and that we engage all our guests individually. I am happy to read that we succeeded with your stay.

Looking forward to having you back at the Hera hotel . All the best.

Reviewed 16 April 2011

I have traveled many places for many years and seldom make negative comments but this one deserves it. This was one of the most expensive hotels on our trip $200 night. Got off elevator to see a cockroach on the carpet. Entered room and everything looked shabby with a very large stain on the bedspread. Rest of room not much better. Went to desk to ask if they had a better room. We were shown to a room on the top floor that was avgood deal nicer and told it would cost us an extra 110 euros per night. It was 2 am and we had been traveling for many hours. I registered my displeasure civilly but was told cockroaches could happen anywhere and I would need to pay full price for the other room. We took it and ended up staying 2 nights - minimum they would allow. To there credit at checkout they reduce the price from 250 euros to 200. In any case the place is way overpriced and not too interested in customer service. Look elsewhere

3  Thank Jgilles51
Chatzilia, General Manager at Hera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2011

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your experience with us. I am really sorry that we didn't meet your expectations during your stay. I have to admit that I am surprised about the cockroach issue, since we are very thorough on our pest control system. We even have certificates that prove our regular and proper pest control.
Regarding your problem with the rooms, I am sorry to hear that you didnt like both of them. However, all room types have the appropriate photo's and size's online so as to depict the truth.
We did offer you , as you say a discount on the official rate, since you decided to stay in the Junior Suite, but for sure we never mentioned that there is a 2 day minimum stay.

In any case, please accept my sincere apology for the negative experience you encountered. I am extremely disappointed that we have left you with a poor impression of our services and hotel.

I remain at your disposal.

All the best.

Reviewed 28 December 2010

Sorry its late - but I'd always promised myself I'd write this. We stayed at the Hera in August 2009 for about a week.
We picked the Hera from the Net and other sites that advised on Athens - pot luck really. We arrived very early morning - due to a mix up with flights - and had booked one of the junior suites.
The desk was manned on arrival but the hotel was very hot and the lift had seen better days. The working girl on the corner did not impress my wife ... :)
Our "suite" was smaller than we expected - and as you are after a long late flight - we saw the faults rather than the benefits. I feel we were possibly given the worst of the 3 junior suites and will know in future to ask for one of the others.
Breakfast was good if unusual (the combinations offered). But - hot and on time. Our bed was comfortable and the balcony was something else - direct views of the Acropolis.
Staff were quite helpful. The lack of A/con in the Hotel's common areas was a negative - but you got use to it.
We ate on our balcony some nights - take-away ("to go" for our American friends) and along with some wine and beer this was the highlight of the Hotel. Most of the tavernas will provide food to go - and wine - if you ask. Beer (mythos) and ouzo (an acquired taste - but lovely) is readily available cheap outside.
We still remember and talk about the balcony and our quiet dinners. You can only imagine the scene - the light fading - the coolness of evening descending - the noise of the city slipping away - the lights on the acropolis starting to take shape - and the view - awesome ! We had our Greek dinner and wine and just marvelled at it all. Most nights we just slept with the balcony door open.
Free internet was also available.
The other highlight of the Hotel is the position. It could not be beaten IMO. We were within walking distance of virtually everthing. AND - I do mean everything !
We would stay again BUT would require a promise to get a specific junior suite and not the one we were given.
All in all though - we loved Athens and have fond memories of the Hera. Yes - we would come back.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
19  Thank MichaelandAnne

Dear MichaelandAnne,

Thank you for choosing Hera Hotel and for sharing your comments on your most recent stay.

Overall I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the hotel and the location of the property. I am sorry to hear that you were not fully satisfied with your room. Indeed our Junior Suites do have different sizes. Please know that on your next visit we will definitely offer you the biggest one!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hera Hotel and thank you again for the feedback.

Best regards,