“Disappointing service during an off-season visit!”
Review of Hera Hotel

Hera Hotel
Ranked #18 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my family for 5 days during the month of November 2012 Although advertised as an air-conditioned (AC) hotel, the AC is not available during the off-season. When I complained our rooms were hot I was told by front desk agent "listen, it's winter in Greece so air conditioning is not available,". To top our experience, my bathroom begin smelling like a sewer on the 2nd day. I brought this up to the staff. Although a staff member came quickly to evaluate, they were not able to remedy the issue and offered me air-fresheners! I expected better service during off-season as they are not as busy. In all fairness, the staff is friendly (albeit not helpful) and the location is great in close proximity to the Acropolis.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Alessandro_TheNomad
Chatzilia, General Manager at Hera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I really apologize for not meeting your expectations. As informed by my team, your room, as most of the rooms that were facing the back side of the hotel, had an odor, due to the weather change ( south wind). However, I know that after a while the smell had disappeared.
Regarding the air condition, it is customed, at the beginning of November to turn on the heating ,since many guests wish to have warm conditions in the room. I do understand that you wished to have air-condition, but unfortunately our system doesn't support the use of both heat and cold.

Once again, I am really sorry that you were not satisfied with our services. Kindly please contact me personal at info@herahotel.gr as I would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith and confidence in us and have you return to Hera Hotel. I look forward to hearing from you and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

We loved this small hotel! I was very convenient to the Acropolis and its new museum. We had a room on the top floor with a small terrace with an unobstructed view of the Parthenon! The room was small, but well appointed. One floor up was an open air roof-top restaurant and bar. The view of the Parthenon, lit up at night, made for a truly memorable experience. The food was excellent making this restaurant a far better choice than the touristy places down the block.

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade for the terrace with the view. We had coffee there each morning and wine in the e...
1  Thank ChristineFlaherty
Chatzilia, General Manager at Hera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice review.

I am really glad that you enjoyed your stay at Hera Hotel.

We hope the see you again.

Best regards.

Reviewed 15 November 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Hera on Oct 6-7 2012. This was our third stay, as in 2008 and 2010 we got two connecting rooms for us and our son, who is now in college. This time we stayed in a non-connecting room, Rm 201.
The Hera Hotel is in the Makrigianni district, a block down from the Acropolis Metro station, and antoher block or so from entering the Plaka area. The New Acropolis Museum is a five minute walk up and around to the left, as is the Acropolis. Excellent location.
The hotel only has 38 rooms, which is a plus to us. The rooms (at least the regular ones) are small, but the beds are comfortable, there's good storage space, and the bathrooms are quite nice. And the air conditioning works! You have to put your key card in a slot to run the electricity and of course the air conditioning.
The staff at the desk were all friendly and spoke excellent English. The breakfast is in a very pleasant room and there are many choices...the breakfast is excellent. There is a conference room, where, when not in use, you have free access to a computer and the internet.
The Peacock restaurant is only open for dinner and has a nice view of the Parthenon. We didn't go this time, but the previous two times we did...the restaurant was good and fairly reasonable. Drinks can be expensive, so order ouzo, which is very reasonable.
We paid 136 euros a night with breakfast...pretty good value. Quite frankly, I spent a lot of time with guide books and on the internet and couldn't find another hotel that combined the location, the breakfast, a rooftop restaurant with Acropolis views, and overall value. We plan to return to Athens in 2014, and I'm certain we will be back at the Hera again.

3  Thank YiorgosM

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your posting your nice review.

I am really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Looking forward to welcome you again on 2014!

Reviewed 6 November 2012 via mobile

Nice, clean hotel with an amazing view of the Acropolis from the roof top bar / restaurant.

Also, the hotel provides (for a small extra charge) private transport to the airport. This comes in very handy when the local taxi drivers have gone on strike !!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Deaquon

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your nice review.

I am really glad that you liked our hotel. Indeed the view from our Roof top restaurant is amazing.

Hope to welcome you again.

Reviewed 1 November 2012

Through Homeric Tours we booked the Aegean Wonder cruise from Athens to Istanbul and back to Athens via the islands. We were extremely pleased with the Hera Hotel in Athens at the foot of the Acropolis and with the Louis Cristal cruise ship. We spent four nights in the hotel and seven on the ship. All aspects of the trip were well organized. Homeric's Deborah in NY and Costas in Athens are the best.

It was great staying so close to the Acropolis. The rooftop restaurant of the hotel added a special delight as this wonder of the world lit up at night. We did not do much more in Athens than walk around the base and to the top. On our first full day there there was a general strike and plans had to change because of closures that day. Police were everywhere. My wife decided to take a picture of a corner full of cops. They didn’t like it. They told her to delete. She attempted to show them the camera deleting. “Back away, lady.” I guess she could have been an anarchist disguised as tourist. For a moment I thought I might be leaving her there.

The Hera Hotel has small but elegant rooms. We were glad the TV offered BBC and CNN International. The breakfast offered 7 to 11 AM is excellent. The menu on the roof seemed limited but we were there for the view. It was breath-taking.The two young people waiting on us were absolutely delightful.

There are plenty of restaurants for eating out and stores nearby for drinking in.

Room Tip: We had read that a couple rooms had a vew of the Acropolis. We didn't request and we didn't...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank buttonpunky

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice review.

I am really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope that we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Reviewed 1 November 2012

On arrival our room was a smaller than anticipated but otherwise ok. We had a couple of housekeeping issues which were easily resolved. As we had arrived late we chose to eat at the roof top terrace restaurant. The view from there made our stay very special - the Acropolis at night will be remembered by us for a long time to come. Food and service in both the restaurant and breakfast room were very good. Overall, the location is excellent, the hotel is clean and the staff were always smiling and eager to help.

1  Thank glyn2429

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your taking the time to post your review.

I am really glad that , overall, you enjoyed your stay at Hera hotel.

I hope that we shall have the pleasure tof welcoming you again.

Reviewed 22 October 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights. Great location, very clean hotel, fabulous value for money! Breakfast - delightful.The rooftop bar and restaurant is a must. Its gorgeous up there and the staff are very friendly and personable! After our first night, they remembered all our drinks for the rest of our stay ;-))The hotel also posted my sandal back to Australia when I left it in the room , how's that for service!!! Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, you don't need an Acropolis view when you have the rooftop bar and rest...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank SydneyDownunder
Chatzilia, General Manager at Hera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review.

Its so nice to hear that you enjoyed our stay with us.

Looking forward on greeting you once again on your next trip to Athens.