“Good experience in excellent location”
Review of Hera Hotel

Hera Hotel
Ranked #22 of 326 Hotels in Athens
“Good experience in excellent location”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We enjoyed our stay in the Hera Hotel. The staff was kind and particularly helpful in advising us on planning our trip through Athens and the rest of Greece. We especially enjoyed the location of the hotel which was very close to a multitude of restuarants and shops.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Chatzilia, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Hera Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Anish K,

Thank you for your review.

I am so glad that you had a good experience at Hera hotel and you enjoyed our prime location.

Looking forward to welcome you again,

best regards,

Iro Chatzilia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 1 May 2014

My husband and I are on a trip across Turkey and Greece. We have just finished staying in seven hotels across various cities. But we are taking the time to write the review for this one now because this hotel experience was horrible.

First, the staff. Rather unfriendly and indifferent. Second, the room itself:
- Stained carpet
- Smelled of smoke
- The bedspread was actually tattered
- The bathroom counters were grimy and stained
- The toilet had a "disinfected" ribbon across it, yet the bathroom smelled disgusting.
- Mosquitos in the room
- We didn't take a shower because the bathtub was disgusting and old
- The evening front desk attendant was pleasant but could not provide us with useful airport directions.

• Stayed April 2014
6 Thank Jgbd
Chatzilia, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Hera Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments.
I am really sorry to hear that you were so disappointed by your stay.
I am so surprised to read your complaints regarding the status of room. I can reassure you that all rooms, and especially the bathrooms, are thoroughly cleaned and sterilized. Specifically, within April we had maintenance repairs in all bathrooms, so i can guarantee that all stains in the marbles are due to cleaning usage ( cleaning products, toothpastes, contact lenses liquids).
All rooms are non smoking and we are firm on that policy. However, there are some guests that don't respect our policies.
Regarding mosquitos, it is a common thing during Spring & summer time to have mosquitos in Greece. If you had mentioned the issue with the front desk we would offer you mosquito repellents.
As far as the front desk agent assistance, I am not exactly sure what you mean, as I know, all agents offer accurate information and directions.
I am so sorry to read that you were not please by our services, however make sure that me and my colleagues are at your disposal for any information you might need. We really hope that we shall have the pleasure to welcome you again and change your negative opinion about our hotel.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Our travel agency, Asimina Tours, booked us at the Hera in Athens very near the Acropolis area. It was a wonderful hotel-- so accommodating and helpful to first -timers in Greece. The breakfast was very good and bountiful, and the rooftop restaurant had great views of the Acropolis. The rooms were typically small but with nice amenities in the bath and very comfortable beds and linens. The only difficulty was with the a/c--it was designed to work at high external temps, but it was only 58-60 degrees F, so too "cold" for it to work well. But the room became very warm at night. Just ask the desk how to set it for maximum efficiency. We would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Inside rooms very quiet but no balcony. You can open your door and step out slightly though.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shelly C
Dear Shelly,

Thank you for your nice review!

Its so nice to read that you enjoyed our hotel and services!!

Really hope to see you again soon!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed at the Hera hotel for a total of three nights. One night when we drove to Athens and then two nights several days later.

The Hera hotel is utterly mediocre. It has some exceptional characteristics. The location is incredibly convenient, just a two or three minute walk from the new Acropolis museum, the Acropolis metro station, and steps from the Plaka. The outside of the building is well maintained and the peacock statue is a pretty way to identify the building from the street. The bar on the top floor has an exceptional view of the Acropolis. Unfortunately, the breakfast is downstairs and not on the roof and the bar is closed before 4:00 p.m.

However, this does not make up for the tattered towels and bedspread, the carpeting in the room and hallways with numerous stains, the toilet seat cover that doesn't quite fit on the toilet, and especially the poor Wifi service. They do have Wifi and between two phones and a computer, we struggled both to connect and then to stay connected for more than two minutes at a time. By far, this is the most erratic Wifi I've experienced in several years in a developed country (and I should note, I've had better internet service in hotels in places such as Mandalay, Myanmar).

The room itself is okay (we stayed in room 404 for a total of three nights). It did have a balcony with a view of the Parthenon and two chairs. The chairs were wet with little pools of water on the seats, because they had been left "seat-up" in the rain. The bed was comfortable.

Another disappointment was the service. Due to poor weather and cancelled ferries, we first arrived at the hotel at 2:00 a.m. after a 7-hour drive. We contacted the hotel both by email and by calling them to say that we would have a car when we arrived. "No problem, we have an on-site parking garage." When we finally arrived, the door to the parking garage was broken (!?!). The desk person simply told us to park on the street: not something we wanted to hear in the middle of the night after a seven hour journey. He was quite unsympathetic.

We are unfamiliar with Athenian parking rules. Happily, that night there was a space quite close to the hotel and (in that part of town at least) there seem to be no parking limitations. On other nights, I note that parking would not have been so easy.

This is a hotel that needs an overhaul. They are not charging budget hotel rates and their environment should be closer to what they describe on their web page.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Chatzilia, Διευθυντής at Hera Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am really sorry to read that you were disappointed from our hotel.

Regarding the Wi-Fi, as you are aware, we do offer it complimentary. We have just updated the bandwidth offering the fastest one available in the area. However, if all our guests are logged in with several devices, downloading big data, then for sure the internet cannot be very fast.

On the matter of your parking, I am really sorry that you couldn’t park your car on-site. Indeed our garage door had a problem, and we couldn’t operate the door. Next to the hotel, there is a private 24 hour service parking.

Checking with our housekeeping department, your room was thoroughly cleaned, few days before your arrival, with special cleaning on the carpets and bed covers. Regarding the chairs on our balcony, I assume they were wet due to rain conditions.

Concluding, once again, I am so sorry to hear that you were disappointed by your stay. However, I really wish that we shall have the pleasure to welcome you again and prove to you our exceptional hospitality and services.

At your disposal,

Reviewed 11 April 2014

The biggest advantage of staying at this hotel is its location.
Its very near to the Acropolis and a metro station is also at 5 minute walk.
Rooms are comfortable and clean. Most of the rooms have private balconies.
The only cons is, due to its location on the main street, there is always some noise of vehicles, tourists etc.
Hotel staff is very helpful and friendly.
The hotel has a roof top restaurant from where you can get the spectacular view of the Acropolis.. and the view is more amazing at the night...

Room Tip: Try to get the rooms on the upper floors from where you can get a view of the Acropolis from the roo...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice review.

I am so glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Hope to see you again.

Iro Chatzilia

P.S: nice profile picture!!
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We spent a week at the Hera Hotel in Athens- March 15- 21. The best feature being it’s location. The other nice thing is the great attitude of the people… very friendly and helpful, they helped me resolve an issue with my flight home and booked side trips for us. They arranged for a Taxi to the Airport but the Taxi tried to charge and extra 10 Euros for picking us up at the hotel..he settled for 5 more than the 35 we had been told it would cost.
The room we got is very small, the air-condition did not work and it was too noisy to sleep with the outside door open. The breakfast was just ok but they sent up a breakfast the night before we left when they found out we were leaving very early in the morning while helping me with the flight problem.
We upgraded the room to an Acropolis view and to be Frank, it wasn’t worth it. All in all, I would try another hotel in the vicinity.
We did enjoy the trip to Athens, the three islands we visited and Meteora… just wish we had had more time.. a lot more time...
We took the metro to the Hotel and luckily we had read about the pick-pockets (here on Tripadvisor), because I had moved my wallet to my front pocket and as we were exiting a “group” separated me and my wife and I did catch a woman with her hand in my pocket! She pulled away without my wallet but it was a close call.. too close!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dcguz
Chatzilia, Διευθυντής at Hera Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am sorry to read that we didn’t fulfil your expectations. On the other hand I am happy to hear that we assisted you on resolving your flight issues.

Indeed our rooms could be considered small, if you are used to US standards. However, we do offer several room categories, such as small, standard etc. with all sizes mentioned on our site. As far as the air-condition is concerned, we hadn’t turned it on, since March is still winter for us, and we are using heating. Unfortunately our system cannot operate both.

Regarding your comment on our Standard rooms with Acropolis view, I am really shocked, since they are the most wanted rooms. Most of the tips, here at tripadvisor, mention to book the specific room type.

Finally, I am really sorry that you were not satisfied with our hotel. I really hope that we shall have the pleasure to welcome you again.

Corfu, Greece
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We booked 2 rooms. the more expensive one had a great view of the Acropolis, fantastic at night but the second room looked on a building. We were comfortable and loved being right across from the new Acropolis museum and a short walk to the Plaka and monastiraki. The breakfast room was lovely and the staff attentive. We parked our car and spent the days wandering around the sights. My only complaint is it was a little expensive for what you get.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Anne,

Thank you for your review.

I am glad to read that you found our hotel convenient and comfortable.

Hope to see you again,