“Excellent but not exceptional”

Premiere Restaurant & Lounge Bar
Ranked #237 of 2,578 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This restaurant is 'recommended' by the Michelin guide, and for good reason. The food and the setting are superb and the prices logical. I can confidently say, and without hesitation, that this where I had my best steak ever (prior to that Le Jardin in Geneva held that distinction). I was surprised at first as to why Premiere missed out on a Michelin star. But then, as the dinner progressed, I realized why. I think it has to do with the service. To begin with I was served a wine at absolutely the wrong temperature. And then there's the way some waiters were scurrying around with three plates each resting on their arm, as if it were some run-of-the-mill Greek tavern. At a place of this caliber, serving the food should be measured, calm and composed, and two dishes at the most per waiter. Nevertheless, the place remains highly recommended.

Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

There are rare experiences in life when you are certain that something unique, even sublime, has just happened to you. I am confident I just enjoyed such an event, a very memorable one. I had the fortune of coming to this restaurant for the second time in three days due to a business meeting in the Intercontinental Hotel. I had dinner alone. I started with the degustation menu in mind, which I had the first day, then added a little variation, and then made it truly a la carte by adding something else. I won't spend time describing it; the consistent impression was 'superb' all along. I have to say though that the start with a smoke-surrounded, aromatic fish appetizer followed by the foigras and scallops was just sublime and, jumping to the end, the chocolate dessert was literally out of this world (presented in an UFO-like plate and with an ultra terrestrial, delicate composition of chocolate textures). The wine pairing helped to make of this an exquisite experience. And the view, as well as the excellent service, rounded it to perfection.

Chef Jean-Charles Metayer has won a place in my pantheon of "artist-cooks". I will try to come back here, or to follow him wherever he goes, for another oh so special "Ratatouille moment".

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Première means “first”…. Première is an extraordinary rooftop restaurant and we were extremely lucky while staying at the Athenaeum InterContinental to dine there. Situated at the 10th floor of the hotel, “high quality view” and “high cooking” (haute cuisine) along with rare wines are the key elements of its triumph. The chef “Jean Charles Metayer” and the staff were polite, professional and genuine.

The gourmet cuisine was meticulously prepared and the ingredients were decorated like works of art; amazingly delicious to taste as well as to look at!!! Each time a different type of wine accompanied our course. And the list of wines was exquisite because it enhanced the dishes to perfection. Miraculous experience!!! By the end of our dinner my husband and I had five empty glasses each. You just want to start eating the next delicious dish in order to taste a different type of wine!!! At last, we ate the right amount of food for a late Saturday dinner!!! The Première Terrace and the Acropolis view were also stunning!!!

Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

The first impression was excellent Parthenon view, low lighting, minimalistic and very polite and not annoying waiters. The food was so full of flavors that the word "tasty" is not enough!! I advice to order "menu de degustation". It will be a full voyage in haute cuisine. Will definitely visit again!

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I had dinner at the Premiere Restaurant & Lounge Bar in Athens, Greece on 6/15/2013. It was my first time there. I was staying that night at the Athenaeum InterContinental Hotel and thought I would give it a try. I'm glad that I did. It's location at the top of the hotel gave me the most beautiful view of the Acropolis that I had in Athens. Seeing the sun set on the Acropolis while eating my dinner was one of the most pleasant experiences that I had in Greece. The service was top notch as was the food. It was not cheap by any means as my bill was 82.90 USD for my meal just by myself. However, I would rate it as an experience that should not be missed while visiting Athens.