“MUST VISIT”

Ranked #11 of 345 things to do in Athens
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Walk or take the funicular tramway to the top of this hill for the best views of Athens
Istanbul
3 attraction reviews
“MUST VISIT”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Just go... get a window table just before sunset, take the person you love. Food, ambience, wine and views are breathtaking. I have done a previous TA piece on this restaurant.

• Arabic first
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Dinner with a view!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I did a fair amount of research on the places to visit in Athens, and I'm glad I went to visit Mount Likavitos. I say screw the furnacular train and take a cab up to the top of mountain. It's way more cheaper than taking the train (which is 14E return per person, and you dont even get to see anything, as it takes you through a tunnel), and the taxi costs up about 6E one way. One problem is after having dinner there, getting a taxi to go down is impossible since there are no taxis at all. All they do is drive up to drop passengers and leave. So what I suggest is either asking the people at the restaurant to call a taxi for you, which Im sure they would happily do, or what we did was went to the pop-up food stall in the parking lot and asked the worker there to call a taxi for us, which he happily did. We only had to wait for about 10 minutes until the taxi came, and there were no extra commission charges for the fare. Once you go up the mountain, visit the small church on top which is very quaint and most importantly, enjoy the view! We got there pretty late, around 6 or 7 and decided to have dinner there. The food was great, and also surprisingly very affordable. It was about 14E for a starter, a main course, and a glass of wine. I would suggest having the Moussaka and Greek salad. It was such a lovely dinner, and we got to see the sun setting against the backdrop of the city which was stunning.

Visited June 2014
4 Thank Eleenaism
Cairo, Egypt
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Lunch with a 360 degree view of Athens”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We took a taxi up to Mt Lycabettus which was an experience by itself!!!! after arriving safely at the top we had a fabulous (and oddly enough - affordable) lunch which was fantastic. Then we took the cable car down and caught a cab back to our hotel. Too easy!!!!!! easier then Melbourne of Sydney to be honest......and cheaper!

1 Thank Laura P
Athens, Greece
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Breathtaking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

The view from Lycabettus reminded me of why I love Athens and generally Greece. It was so peaceful with the little church that I was touched. The view was amazing and I could see the whole city centre all the way to the sea.

1 Thank Alexia X
Washington DC, District of Columbia
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Overrated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

This was our biggest disappointment in Athens. Its expensive (7E to take a 5 minute ride up a funicular tram in a tunnel). Yes, the view from the top is spectacular, but isn't much different from the Acropolis. The little church was underwhelming. If we had gone for sunset, I suspect I would be writing a much more positive review.

1 Thank davidbViennaVA