Mount Lycabettus Walking Tour in Athens

Book in advance
from
£51.47
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Ways to Experience Mount Lycabettus
from £51.47
from £117.76
from £148.29
from £177.08
6,340 results
All reviews cable car small church funicular railway highest point in athens walk up degree view great view of athens worth the climb worth the effort worth the trip hill taxi chapel teleferico tunnel acropolis path
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 July 2019

My family and I went to Mount Lycabettus the first evening we were in Athen. The view up there is amazing, you can see the whole city and the sea in the horizon. We walked to the top, the walk was beautiful - there were some good places to take a break and enjoy the view at the same time, so it really wasn't that exhausting.

We wanted to see the sunset from there and it was very spectacular. There is a restaurant and a few cafees up there, but we instead chose to eat at the foot of the hill, in the Kolonaki area. We then walked up (about 25 minutes with breaks) and arrived at the top in good time for the sunset. There are seatings along the rail at the top, so we could sit and enjoy the view. It got crowded around 8 pm, an hour before sunset (9 pm in July).
It was hot up there so bring water, but there was a person who sold 500 mL water bottles for 1 euro.
Would definitely recommend going, especially in the evening so you can enjoy the sunset.

2  Thank JohannesBA123
Reviewed 18 July 2019

My husband and I spent the first day of our honeymoon taking in the views of Mount Lycabettus and it was spectacular! There are two ways to reach the top - either by walking up or with a cable car that costs €7 for a round trip. My husband and I were very excited about taking the cable car as we thought that we would get a beautiful view of Athens.
However, the cable car is a 3-minute journey that takes you from the bottom to the top inside a capsule (tunnel). There are no views to be observed, and I would assume that the walk up the hill, though more exhausting, would yield better views. The restaurant on top serves delicious food but is pricey.

Date of experience: June 2019
6  Thank natasha_vans
Reviewed 18 July 2019 via mobile

Walk up from the centre through Kolonaki to the Lykavittou Hill. It will take you about 200 steps from the bottom of the actual hill to the top, the alternative is to take the funicular at €5 one way, €7.50 return. When you get to the top the views are incredible. In fact even from this height it is impossible to fully take in the spread of Athens in each direction. You can see the main spots, Parthenon on top of Acropolis, Piraeus, Olympiakos Stadium, to the south, Parnitha to the west, Kifissia, Maroussi and Mount Penteli to the north and Ymittos to the east.
There are a few vantage points here and if the weather is clear then you will enjoy being on top of the world almost.
It is surprising to see how much higher you are in relation to the Parthenon, whilst on Acropolis hill you dont feel it is so much higher. Enjoy!!

3  Thank KPR1955
Reviewed 18 July 2019

The nice but steep walk up Lycabettus winds through trees and is worth doing. The view from the top is worth it and includes many of the sites of Athens including the Acropolis. We took the cable car back down but it was pretty underwhelming and didn't add much to the trip.

Date of experience: February 2019
1  Thank nickt844
Reviewed 17 July 2019

I walked through the streets to reach the bottom of the hill. The streets were steep with lots of steps , but that could just have been my route. If you are able, I would recommend you walk up rather than take the cable car. It took me 20 minutes and there are lots of different views on the way. It was busy, with people shuffling for a good spot. The views are out of this world. I have added a pic (with a filter) but who cares eh? I will add that I was pickpocketed and had my wallet stolen. I had a shoulder bag which was zipped, but these people are professionals. It didnt spoil my experience, but just be extra careful.

3  Thank Nolan J