“Perfect location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Arethusa Hotel
Ranked #89 of 325 Hotels in Athens
“Perfect location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is wonderfully situated at the vicinity of many historic sites. It was easy to walk around and enjoy the spirit of Athens. It is not a luxury hotel but very good for the needs of a town holiday. We were all pleased with the cleanliness and the breakfast. The staff was pleasant and helpful.

Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

This lovely little hotel was just a short walk from the express bus stop from the airport. It's location is within walking distance to the flea market, lots of places to eat, the Parliament building etc. I had a single room and at was enough. Admittedly the bathroom was a little small, but that is the norm in Greece. The breakfast was great with a varied selection, surprising for a hotel with its rating. The hotel is looking a bit tired but this is one of three I have stayed at on this trip and most hotels (mid range) look this way, I am putting it down to the economic situation in Greece at the moment. The bed was comfy and as I requested a quiet part of the hotel, was looked after. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Being a light sleeper, I requested quiet area of hotel, on upper floors
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Location:
Having gone to Athens in June 2014 we decided this hotel would be ideal, as it was located near Syntagma Square. Location wise there are no issues at all.

Do not expect to be checked in early:
Firstly I arrived earlier than the check-in time. They had been notified before hand via email and said if there was a room ready then they would provide this. So, I arrived early I could see individuals checking out, with the cleaners cleaning the reception. So I asked if could get the rooms that we empty, they said no not until 10am. This was 7am In the morning and I was annoyed as why would it take 3 hours to clean a room when the cleaners are present. I went up a number of times to ask about the room the receptionist women was outright rude she said "stop asking me about room, I dont know anything about it". They lack initiative in running a hotel and satisfying their customers.

Rooms:
We booked a double, we received two singles. Should have expected this as was mentioned in previous reviews. basic rooms not comfortable. Shower and bath facilities very dated, cramped shower. I would rate it as a 2 star hotel on the lower scale. Very noisy on the street side no chance of sleeping quietly.

Additional:
Breakfast was ok but had water dripping from the ceiling when eating. Reception smells of damp.

Location wise it is perfect if that is what you are looking for. I am sure there are better basic accommodation around in the area. Like on Ermou Street.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anonymous-Zkr

Travellers are raving about these Athens hotels

Cary, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

My previous report about the Cypria Hotel booking our room out from under us sent us here. They were very accommodating. Breakfast was included and good. Stayed on the third floor but could hear everything on the street below. Room was average but the location was in the heart of everything you want to see in Athens. Minutes from the Plaka and the Acropolis.

Room Tip: Higher floors or off the main street.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

The hotel is very well located, a few steps from Syntagma Square and pretty close to the Acropolis. The room is decent. However, as I was about to sleep, I saw a bug on the pillow. The furniture looks wasted. Breakfast was all right.

• Stayed June 2014
Pacific Coast Australia, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights. Would I stay here again....no. Not a comfortable stay. It's like going back to the dark ages. We had 2 single beds in our room but asked for a double when booking. To use the toilet we had to put one foot in the shower recess as there was little room. The shower was quite small therefore you ended up fighting with the shower curtain.Don't eat breakfast there, in one word terrible. The only good thing about this hotel is the staff & location. The staff really friendly & helpfull. Please be aware that there are lots of gypsies in the area so hang on to your wallets & valuables as my wallet was stolen.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cobba19
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

What I liked: location, friendly reception staff and decent WiFi.

What I didn't like:
Hotel definitely needs some kind of refurb. The door locks don't seem to work properly (room 609). We went for lunch and after coming back we found our door opened! I'm very particular about these things and I've checked myself they were locked when we're leaving so not sure if it's a lock issue or maybe cleaning staff not closing doors properly. Outdated furniture, old tv (only one channel working properly). Microscopic size shover with old shower curtain, really glad I had to stay only one night. Breakfast was good until we've found massive cockroach under the table. I'm not very fussy however after seeing it I couldn't really enjoy the rest of my breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014