“Needs a bit of attention to detail”
Review of Astor Hotel Athens

Astor Hotel Athens
Ranked #105 of 285 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Hotel was central for sightseeing. However the picture that comes up when you google this hotel is very deceiving. The only view we had was of the buildings opposite. Our room was on a very busy noisy street. Aircon was noisy but we could not have the door open because of the street noise. Room was a nice size but needed some TLC. Carpets were dirty and the room needed a good clean or paint. Our shower was broken and supply of toilet paper was inadequate for our 4 day stay. The bath wasn't cleaned once - by the hotel staff - during our stay. Breakfast was good and desk staff very pleasant. No info sheet in room on facilities. Not the worst hotel we have stayed in though.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor - you might get a better view and less noise.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dianna W

Reviewed 29 November 2012

We stay in a room with four single beds, the room was huge, one of the beds was separated from the other 3 (so my snoring hubbie wasn't heard all night!) the only problem was that one of the mattresses wasn't very good. The bathroom huge with all the essentials you need-shampoo,soapwash and everything very clean. We went in early on the first day, and they let us check in from 9am which was really good. The personnel friendly and very professional, the location excellent-one block away from metro station, 15 mins by foot to Acropolis museum and all sites, McDonalds just around the corner. And they also kept our luggage free of charge on the last day!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 November 2012

the room is very simple, more like 3*, not very comfortable but the bathroom was o.k and clean. for the money we pay it's o.k but I prefer to pay a little bit more and to get a much nicer hotel. the location is good so you can go by foot everywhere around the city center. I imagine if we were in summer it was hell because the a/c is not working very good and you can't sleep with open windows (too much noise from the street!). overall if you looking for a cheap, standard and very simple hotel, this is it! I recommend to look for Electra hotel nearby, also in an excellent location and a whole different experience...you pay some extra (about 30 euros more per night) but you get a very good hotel.

Room Tip: get higher floors to have some view of the Acropolis
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Claude D
Reviewed 14 November 2012

On arrival they just told us which room they chose for us and thats it! We found out about other faicilities by fellow travellers. No info sheet in room to explain how to use the aircon or about breakfast etc. Carperts are dirty & stained. The aircon is old and never cooled the room- at least we werent there in summer- glad it was November and not summer. Never agree for the staff to take you anywere with there own transport when its strikes as they charge double even though we agreed on a price before we left. We paid what they asked for- otherwise we would of miss our ferry- and when i complained about it next day they gave me a number to ring as they insisted that i or my my friend got it wrong. It turned out the number was the hotels own office number and they are all in it together. The only nice things there is the hot water and the views and location, if your lucky enough to get the right room. They seem to be more helpful with their regular customers not new ones like we were.

Room Tip: Ask for Acropolis views or they will put you as its not extra fee. Staff keep quiet about that so th...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank maria t
Reviewed 11 November 2012

While the hotel--supposedly renovated in 2002--shows signs of use after a decade (the carpet in my room was full of stains, walllpaper in the hallway was frayed), it still is a good enough place to spend a few days. Some of the rooms have a splendid view of the Acropolis, but the restaurant on the 10th floor offers an unbeatable view of the city and the hill. The location just a stone's throw from Syntagma Square is excellent; subway and bus stops are right there, and one can easily walk to many of the sights in downtown Athens.

Room Tip: Room 713--at the end of the corridor--had a splendid view of the Acropolis; the lower numbers mean o...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I stayed at the Astor 17-26 October 2012 while I attended a three day conference, then stayed on to sight see and visit friends (we lived there in the 1980s). The conference facilitators made my reservations, and I found the Astor to be a mixed bag.

Positive: (1) The location is fantastic, walking distance to many attractions or an easy metro ride from the Syntagma station about 100 yards away. (2) The view of the Acropolis from the rooftop breakfast room and from many hotel rooms is wonderful, especially at night, when it is floodlit, or in early morning, when the sun first hits the marble. (3) The self-service breakfast is substantial and sets you up for an active day: rolls/butter/jam, choice of cereals, scrambled and boiled eggs, ham and bacon, beans, fresh fruit, etc. (4) The staff was friendly and helpful. I didn’t make any severe demands but they were great about giving directions, calling taxis, replacing lost key card, or just chatting. I read reviews here that made the staff sound surly and unhelpful, but I just didn’t experience that, and I dealt with several front desk folks. (5) The room was pleasant. It was clean, had ample space for clothes, had hangers in the closet (not a given in Greece), and the bathroom was clean and brightly lit. There was plenty of hot water (really hot – be careful when first turning it on). (6) There was a small fridge in the room. Don’t know if that’s standard, but it was certainly useful.

Neutral: (1) There was an area of peeling wallpaper just above the air conditioner and in the hallway near my room. I guess I’m immune to that, having lived in Greece and visited many times since, but judging by other reviews, a lot of folks are not. (2) Being close to Syntagma means you have a front row seat for the protests occurring on the Square, and in this period of austerity, they are frequent. Unless you are a bonehead, THEY ARE NOT DANGEROUS. There was a huge protest (100,000+) the day after I arrived and I spent hours out in it. I was not being foolish. I’ve been through many of these; keep your eyes open and use common sense, and there won’t be a problem. They can, however, snarl traffic badly. Since this is a hotel review, I won’t go further, except to stress that these protests are no reason to avoid this hotel or others nearby. (3) The furnishings and appearance were dated, as so many reviews mention. This is true, but I paid under $100 a night to stay in the heart of one the world’s great cities. For this I don’t expect Architects Digest.

Negative: (1) The Astor mattresses recently surpassed diamonds as the hardest substance known to mankind. My first few nights were really uncomfortable. I adjusted somewhat but never did get the restful night I wanted. Major drawback. (2) The rooftop restaurant has few patrons for good reason. Many menu items were not available and what was available was mediocre. Go up to see the Acropolis at night, but it’s so empty you can just walk out on the terrace without getting a meal. Eat better for less in the neighborhood. (Exit the hotel, turn right, go to the souvlaki joint on the corner called Neo-Classico: clean, bright, tasty.)

Conclusion: The Astor really is a mixed bag. It is listed as a Four Star establishment, which creates certain expectations it doesn’t meet. In many European nations that rating is determined by the kind of facilities available in the establishment, and less on the actual comfort and condition of the place. (I’m not sure about Greece.) I found it to be a pleasant place to stay and good value for money, although Greek friends were quick to say I should have asked them – they could have gotten me a better place for less. They’re probably right, but I could not have picked a better location for all that I wanted to get done. That location was responsible for me fitting in several things I just could not have done otherwise.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Olearius
Reviewed 13 October 2012

I stayed at the Astor October 3-6, 2013 and was very pleased with the experience. I was lucky enough to get a room with a view of the parthenon (4th floor) and it was a delight every night to see it lit as I laid in bed. The room was smallish and dated, but the location was terrific, near all the sights I wanted to see and public transportation. It was covenient that I could take the metro from the airport to the hotel, but did have to ask at the metro station where the hotel was since it was not apparent and we were tired. I am an avid walker and walked to all the sights. The complementary breakfast was on the rooftop with another commanding view of the city and parthenon. I had a great time at the hotel, although we did not stay in the room much. I found the staff very helpful. Since the hotel is amid all the action it was a bit noisy on the street. The view is key - only about 1/10 of the rooms have one - so book early. They seem to be awarded on a first booked basis.

Room Tip: Call early and see if they can give you a view of the acropolis.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends