Location & Value bring this otherwise standard hotel into consideration for your stay in Athens. Just around the corner from Syntagma Square, the hotel offers a good balance of pros & cons. Let's get to the Cons (most of which feature in other reviews of this hotel).
1) The hotel isn't in great condition. It's all aesthetic, but nobody like being in a room with peeling wallpaper. The shower head was also not staying vertical, so had to be held by hand. This is no issue for travellers to south east asia who may not expect much else, but if you haven't encountered this before, it's rather annoying. Also, the lifts barely fit four people.
2) A previous reviewer stated that the mattresses in the Astor have recently surpassed diamonds as the hardest substance known to man. I have had worse, but only in a hostel in China. Technically, I'm sure it's good for your back to sleep on a firm mattress every now and then, but just don't go sprawling into the bed from a height expecting a soft landing. Again, tolerable, but not desirable.
3) The 15 Euro for 24 hour wifi didn't get signal in our room on the 7th floor. I didn't bother chasing a refund as the staff are a bit hit and miss with their empathy. Instead I just sat in the foyer when I needed internet.
1) It is centrally located whilst avoiding crowds. The Plaka area is less than five minutes walk, and there are lots of shops & cafes along the way. Being close to Sygtagma Square is also a big plus for getting around the city.
2) It's clean. As average a condition the building is in, the rooms are still clean and odour free.
3) The air-conditioner works. When it's 38 degrees in Athens, that's a plus!
In all, the rest is rather average. The breakfast is okay, but not outstanding, the view beautiful, but the Plaka Hotel is better. The staff work hard but in busier times, they do get a little blunt.
We will consider returning here, but only for the location, and if other options are booked out. We didn't hate it, but there is nothing to bring us back either.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Bookgreece.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Nozio Netplan srl, LoveHolidays, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Astor Hotel Athens reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Athens Astor Hotel