“Staff are very helpful breakfast is...”
Review of Stratos Vassilikos

Stratos Vassilikos
Ranked #25 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 9 May 2010

Staff are very helpful

breakfast is excellent

location good as close to airpot and city metro

There are newer reviews for Stratos Vassilikos

Reviewed 31 January 2010

We stayed at the hotel for 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year visiting family in Athens. We were very impressed with the level of service and the standard of the rooms. Moreover, the breakfast buffet was very impressive and the staff was always very helpful.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2009

Just arrived back from Athens and stayed in this hotel for a week.

Read all of the reviews on this hotel and as with many times people seem to get confused and write and complain about something strange like the traffic in Athens which has nothing to do with the hotel they are staying at.. Anyway, I will bite my tongue. Now, onto my review of this cute little hotel.

Location:
A few minutes walk to the nearest Metro and the staff were very helpful at pointing out just how to get there. You cannot walk out of this hotel and expect to find very much around it, but I liked this a lot since the traffic and noise were better than staying in a hotel closer to downtown Athens. Also, don't expect to find any restaurants nearby. Again, this was fine with me as I like to be adventurous and get as far away from the hotels I stay in so as to experience something different.

Staff:
Amazing. They were smiling and helpful always. I'll deviate a bit here - if you are a Canadian tourist visiting any country in Europe, the standards of "chivalry" and "common courtesy" by the inhabitants are a lot less than you are used to. Perhaps Canadians are just too nice?! In other words, people shove in the metro and the city is very very very busy. I find this common in any European city I've been to. Not complaining, its just the European way. Having said that, it is so nice to come back to the hotel to helpful and friendly Greeks.

Breakfast:
A lot of nice things have already been said and I echo them all - great selection and for the week that I spent here, it was never very busy which was also great.

Rooms:
Adequate and clean. Wi-fi - I found this worked intermittantly which for me is a big thing so I have to say that was the one negative thing. When I took my lap top to the lobby it worked better, but sort of defeats the purpose of having wi-fi.

Bathrooms:
Gorgeous retreat - marble tiles and huge amount of space.

So, overall this hotel was great and everything I needed. Yes, the twin beds were pushed together, but they were comfortable. Yes, the Metro was a walk away, but the streets were safe to walk through. Also, we took a tour of Cape Sounion (highly recommend) and the bus picked us up at the hotel.

If you care to read the next bit - just some tips for people visiting Athens.

Metro: it is extremely easy to use...really...you have to try it. We took it everywhere we went. Sure, it is busy in the stations, but just go in with a bit of a plan. Remember, the lines are mapped by the final destination on the line. There are three lines. So if you are at Syngmata square doing some shopping and want to get back to the hotel , you get on the Aiport line (airport is last stop) but take it only two stops to Megaro which is the closest Metro to the hotel. You pay 1euro for a ticket which you validate every time you use it for the next 1.5hrs. You can take it right to the Acropolis which is 4 stops away from the hotel (you need to switch lines once).

Restaurants:
You've got to try Plaka and the Gazi district - Gazi is a bit away from the touristy section where you'll find local Greeks - very hip. As for restaurants, maybe this goes back to being a Canadian where our hostesses and hosts greet us as the door with a "how do you do ! " and also our waiters check in on us once in a while and talk about the weather - this will not happen in Athens. Ok, they will greet you but find your own seat. Don't wait to be seated. Just walk up to the table and sit. I know, it seems like you're breaking some rule, but you're not. If you don't do this, others will walk in front of you and sit.

Traffic - be careful...cross only on green lights.
Your cab driver will drive fast - dont be scared, there seem to be very few rules of the road in Athens. Motor bikes : they are so popular and there are even less rules for them.

Acropolis - go many times and at night too.

Homeless dogs and cats: they just roam around the city don't feed them they are harmless.

Homeless kids playing accordians: don't feed them either :) Just ignore them. We saw a tourist get tricked while one child distracted them and the other grabbed their wallet. This was at a posh restaurant in Plaka.

Plaka - a great place to spend the whole day. Greek coffee is something you have to try. If you're looking for Starbucks - don't go to Athens. :)

Have fun and be safe.

• Stayed: October 2009
6  Thank TOGuy78
Reviewed 4 October 2009

We stayed at the Stratos Vassilikos for a week at the beginning of Sept 09. We chose this hotel for its proximity (sort of) to the Hilton where we were attending a conference and we were not sorry for our choice.
The Stratos is a little distance from the nearest Metro - about 5-10 minutes walk depending on traffic - but I would still call that pretty convenient. Just something to bear in mind if you have a lot or heavy luggage (as we did for a 4 week trip) is that the footpaths and road crossings are not always even or clear (cars park across access ramps) so the Metro may not be your best choice to get there.
The hotel staff are warm and friendly and speak excellent English. They were always helpful with our questions and needs.
The room we had was on a the fourth floor which was high enough to be completely silent even though we were at the front of the hotel. The third member of our group who had a front room on the first floor asked to be moved because the noise from the street was too much. Her room at the back was much better. The rooms are quite spacious but oddly if you ask for twin beds, they will be made separately but pushed together. Each night we separated the beds so we weren't sleeping on top of each other but each day they pushed them back together! Still, they were kept clean and tidy and the bathroom was also lovely and very clean.
The breakfast deserves special mention. It was a very impressive spread of anything from cereals, about 10 different types of bread, yoghurt, fruit, hot foods, sweet treats of about 10 types and the freshest "straight from the orange" juice I've ever tasted.
The one problem we had while we were there was with the wireless Internet. It only worked briefly on one evening in our room. However it worked fine in the lobby of the hotel which was a really nice place to sit anyway. There were lounges and chairs, a bar and in the evenings, a fantastic pianist playing in the restaurant, so it was no great trouble to use the computer downstairs.
Overall I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and I would gladly go back. It is a little removed from central Athens but transport is so good that I'd call that an advantage.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 October 2009

Nice and quite hotel in a residential area, not central but with easy access to all major attractions. Staff its quite harming and the breakfast fairly good but not exceptional. Rooms are spacious and carefully clean. A good place to stay when visiting Athens.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 September 2009

For what we paid (€106 b&b) I thought this hotel was extremely good. Our room was very large, clean and well appointed. The staff were friendly, the breakfast of good quality and varied and the place was generally very clean and welcoming.

The hotel is in a good area and convenient for the underground line to Syntagma. The only trouble you'll find is if you have a pushchair (pavements are intermittent and poorly maintained in Athens).

Other than that, very good value.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2009

The rooms are fair enough, the amenities what you'd expect, the price is rather low, but it certainly isn't 5*. I wouldn't choose it again mainly because of the location. Not near the city centre, far from my business meeting points.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
6  Thank gogaros
Also consider these accommodations in or near Athens
Golden Age Hotel Athens
Y Hotel
#1 of 11 in Kifissia
Coco-Mat Hotel Nafsika
#2 of 11 in Kifissia

Been to Stratos Vassilikos? Share your experiences!