“Definitely flawless”

Ranked #64 of 3,749 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Plaka
Description: 2 Mazi is a Greek creative cuisine restaurant. On the outskirts of Plaka, at 48 Nikis str., two creative and persistent advocates of quality, owner Elias Gogos and talented chef Harris Nikolouzos, decided to unite. Their inspiration sources from the finest products of our land: meat , fish , handmade pasta and traditional pies tangle up with herbs and edible flowers each one of special taste and therapeutic value. Small producers delicatessen from all over Greece, could not be absent from our kitchen.We have set the bar high, hoping to convey our deep love for good food.Our goal is to awaken all your senses , to reconstitute familiar but forgotten flavors and create new. We look forward to see you to our restaurant, a beautiful 19 th century neoclassical building for remembering the time that life had the ” flavor of the party”. You and us…..2 TOGETHER because that’s what counts after all!
Fribourg, Switzerland
“Definitely flawless”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Great place. So good that we went twice. Waiter was competent, made good suggestions for the food/wine pairing.
Fantastic homemade bread with white eggplant dip, and the seafood was great. We had the tuna tartare, the sea bass, the tuna filet, etc.
On top of that, the presentation was meticulous
Well I can only recommend it.

Visited July 2014

• Greek first
“Great spot”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Sat in the courtyard on a quiet evening. Great service and excellent food and presentation. Our hotel did not recommend this place but I trusted trip advisor once again and glad I did. The veal chop was outstanding!

BC
“Solo diners beware”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I went to this restaurant based on TripAdvisor reviews and hoping for a really nice meal. The ambiance was pleasant. However, I can't rate the food because I didn't stay long enough to eat any. I arrived quite early in the evening, 7:00 pm or so, thinking it would be easier to get a table without a reservation. The place was empty except for one couple at a table against the wall in the courtyard. I was given a table right in the middle of the room, facing the entrance, feeling extremely awkward and exposed. I asked if I could sit over by the wall, but no, those tables were "reserved." Then, I wanted to order the tasting menu. The server went over to the maitre d and there was a conversation. The server came back: the tasting menu took a "long time" to cook (well, yes, but I had all evening). How about if I just ordered a few things from the appie menu and they would make up a tasting plate for me? It was really clear that they couldn't be bothered for one person - it was too much trouble. So I walked out. As a single person who often travels alone, I judge restaurants by the way they treat solo diners. We have as much right to good food and good service as anyone else, and it's so unfair to be put in bad tables or have your choices restricted because you are not going to spend as much money as two people at a table.

Visited June 2014
5 Thank BC_Debbie
ΜΑΖΙ Μ, Ιδιοκτήτης at 2MAZI Restaurant, responded to this review, 20 March 2015
Dear Debbie, We are very sorry to hear that you had such a negative impression of how we treat solo customers. It is our pleasure to have solo customers. and in fact the courtyard of the restaurant does attract solo travellers very often and they always leave very pleased with the food and the service... I am confident that in your case there was a misunderstanding though, which is why I am writing to you. First of all as you must have noticed the restaurant's courtyards has very few tables, and that is why people who know of us do reserve tables. You came early in the evening indeed, but it is very possible that a little bit later the bookings would arrive. Εven when we do not have many reservations the space gets filled by people passing by so we have to be smart about where we place everyone, to make sure that tables which can seat three or four people are available. As far as the menu is concerned, I think you probably misunderstood the waiters' intentions, as from what you are writing I understand that he said that the chefs could make a tasting menu (degustation menu) as you requested with the dishes you specifically prefer from the menu! The tasting menu can have in it anything you want from the catalogue (it basically includes small portions of various dishes from the a la carte menu), and we often ask customers if they have specific preference so that it suits their taste!! Thank you for your comment, but I suspect that you got lost in translation with the waiter.
Sarasota, Florida
“Even if you don't speak Greek. . .”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We were basically lost when we found this restaurant on the border of the Plaka in downtown Athens. We still believe we found one of the finest places we ever have eaten! The Greek wines, red and white, were superb, and the seafood was sublime! BUT . . . try the lamb shank, roasted for four hours, one of the owners, who joined us in the outdoor dining area, told us. Then it is removed from the oven, placed over a mixture (a house secret blend!) of finely chopped greens, and roasted for another hour! YUM. The meat fell from the bone, and the taste of fresh herbs, picked earlier in the day from pots right there in the dining area, permeated everything. And for dessert -- let's put it like this: You haven't eaten Greek yogurt until you've eaten it in Greece, especially with a fresh raspberry sauce drizzled over! This place is a little gem, with delectable cuisine, fine wines and a staff that seems happy to explain what goes into each dish and how it is prepared. We ate at a hotel restaurant overlooking Parliament and the Acropolis the next night, paid at least twice as much, and didn't like the dinner nearly as much. Great view, but the food . . .we'd rather have returned to 2mazi. And the next time we're in Athens, we will!

• Visited May 2014
“Beautiful dinner!”
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

The service was exceptional. I had the sea bass while my boyfriend and the beef filet and both were excellent. We sat outside, and the ambiance and decor were gorgeous. A bit on the pricey side but a lovely splurge.