“Do not stay there! Deceptive, awful rooms, NO TV, the ruddest staff ever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Byron Hotel

Byron Hotel
Ranked #173 of 325 Hotels in Athens
“Do not stay there! Deceptive, awful rooms, NO TV, the ruddest staff ever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012

Tonight when we arrived in Athens at the Byron Hotel, we were exposed to extreme rudness and undescribable disrespect from the reception desk.

Having walked in to our room, we discovered that we were not allocated with the double room we asked for. It did not fit the photograph which we saw on the website at all (it was a room number 21). The TV changer was not in the room either. TV is one of the main facilities advertised on the website. The room was shabby with the worst view you could imagine (bins full of smelly objects). I am surprised some people mention Acropolis view as we were welcomed by the back wall of another building and the said bins.

I went downstairs to try to sort out the problem with the type of the room and the lack of the TV changer. I let the reception person (a gentleman in his 50s with the glasses on) know that this is not the type of the room we booked and and asked if they had a different room which would fit our booking request. He said 'no.' At this point I accepted the reply. However, I also asked about the changer for our TV. And this is when the gentleman became really agitated. He explained that the TV sets do not work in the entire hotel. I calmly said that this is not the deal we made with the hotel. He then turned and said that for that price (€84) I should not expect the TV. I tried to point out that the TV was one of the facilities mentioned on the website for all types of the rooms. The gentleman was extremely rude stating that if I went for a better option, I might have well had the TV set. I asked him, how much would such a room be and he said that it would be double of what we paid. I checked this piece of information on booking.com and superior double room at this very moment costs €118 for two nights, which makes it €59 per night, not €84.

After extremely rude remarks, feeling humiliated and discriminated as a genuine traveller, I suggested I could stay in this room for a lower price if it did not have the TV. The receptionist started to be really aggressive in words saying that I must be ridiculous thinking they would have TV sets in the hotel rooms in this economic climate. I said I would like to speak to the manager. He said he was not available at that time as it was too late.

Confused, shouted at and humiliated we decided to leave the hotel. We cancelled our booking as we did not deserve to spend our last night of our holiday in a shabby, with the smell of dampness and without basic facilities room. The receptionist was still shouting out abusive words directed at us outside the hotel. We had to walk around Athens at night to look for another place to stay where we were not threatened by the staff and where we could be treated with respect.

We were deceived and bullied by the representative of the Byron Hotel. The entire situation almost destroyed our last two days of our holidays in Greece. I ignored a few negative comments while booking this hotel. This has been a huge lesson; never ever discriminate negative experiences of other travellers.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank consciousDecisions

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Preveza, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

For several years my husband and I have stayed at the Bryon Hotel, and it has always been delightful. Amalia works during the early ours, and such a delight, Dimitrias works the front desk during the day hours, and he is always so very helpful with directions, and with other needs. When our classmates came to Greece, we stayed at the Bryon Hotel. Two of the rooms have superb views of the Parthenon, and your could not ask for a better location. My husband and I strongly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: For the most wonderful view of the Parthenon, just ask for a room with the grand view of the Parthen...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Athens, Greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

Positives: Location is great, the hotel is clean & comfortable & the staff were friendly & helpful. The room was a decent size & plenty of hangers in the wardrobe, many more than I've had in some higher standard hotels!
Negatives: Their website states a fridge in every room. I expected one of their lowest standard rooms as I had booked a very cheap rate, but a fridge was one of the things that made me make this choice & my room didn't have one. Not usually too much of a problem for me, but this is August, so I did want to keep some cold drinks in the room. The staff were helpful & said they would put them in their fridge downstairs & bring a drink up to me when I wanted one, but not quite the same as it being in the room.
The other niggle was the internet access. Not working on the floor I was staying, had to go down to reception to use it, & that wasn't always available, although there is a neighbouring signal that needs no password available sometimes :)

Overall I would stay here again, but maybe not mid summer, or would at least check I had a room with a fridge! My room had no balcony or view, not a problem for me, but be aware there are a number of rooms like this.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Yiassas
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

I hate to be negative, but I had a terrible experience with the Hotel Byron in June 2012. Having booked through Booking.com we expected two nice double rooms with views of the Acropolis. Well, pokey is the English word for them, and yes, if you craned your neck, the Acropolis was visible.No balcony. My room smelt of damp. The bed was made up only with the bottom sheet and pillowcases, but the 'duvet' was old, dirty, smelly, pink-patterned-nylon, and in the wardrobe with some old curtains. I made up my bed and went to sleep, hating the feeling of dirt and the smell. I had a bad night, must have been the sound of dripping. I woke at 5am and my room was flooded from the aircon unit which still dripped. My luggage, which was on the floor because there was nowhere else to put it, was soaked.

OK I was fed up. I told the manager, who said I 'couldn't leave' because he had taken all my money already. I mistakenly refused to see another room, although he said he had one which was approved by Booking.com - suggesting our first rooms were not! We left very upset by his rude tone and completely unwelcoming attitude, thinking to get recompense from Booking.com later.

This didnt happen. The best part of a thousand pounds lost, and recompense from Booking.com only 100 Euros (£79).

Other people seem to have had better experience at Hotel Byron. I would however warmly recommend the Hotel Acropolis Select in Falirou Street instead - I've stayed with them about eight times and they are always fantastic. A nicer staff, and nicer rooms, would be hard to find, and who needs a view when you can walk there?!

Room Tip: Either buy the best rooms or choose somewhere else!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Vanessa G

Travellers are raving about these Athens hotels

Stafford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

We stayed here for a couple of nights, the staff were friendly and helpful. This part of Athens, by the Acropolis is more my kind of place. Athens, the modern city and roads are noisy, polluted and hectic. At the 'old' part of Athens the pace of life is more relaxed, and closed pretty much to cars etc. This Hotel is a great place to see the museums and historic sights. It is close to the underground rail network, and the doube decker sight seeing buses which are good - but take your own earphones to use the recorded tour guide in your own language. We had the cheapest room available and still had a view of the Acropolis!

Room Tip: Staff will let you see rooms available, and you can pick the one that suits you best.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

stayed here a few times. clean simple rooms. perfect for that weekend or over night fun trip to plaka. big baseball fans in this hotel. next t some great resturants too.

Room Tip: get the high floors
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Mlbmc
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

Byron Hotel is a small property centrally located in Plaka historical district. The basic rooms are clean, well ventilated, and have comfortable beds. I had a room with a balcony with a patio chair and table, which was a nice feature to enjoy my tea and baklava whilst contemplating the surrounding views. All of ancient Athens is within walking distance as well as restaurants and souvenir shops. The neighborhood is very safe and lively. I would definitely stay there again if I were to come back to Athens.

Room Tip: As for a room with a balcony to get great historical views and to contemplate life
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo