“Great location. Stayed in better hostels.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Byron Hotel

Byron Hotel
Ranked #173 of 325 Hotels in Athens
Oslo, Norway
“Great location. Stayed in better hostels.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

The location is fantastic. 2 minutes walk from acropolis metro which links to airport. It's in the best district PLAKA that is home to all the restaurants and shops. We walked around Athens and it seems that plaka is the only place to be.
The rest if the city is covered in graffiti, abandoned buildings, derelict streets and an eerie sense of a city in meltdown.(obviously the after effects of the economy crisis and riots) All the attractions including the acropolis and syntgama square are within a very short walking distance.

----Very basic room backpacker standard, hard beds and a wafer thin pillow. No breakfast. No interaction with staff. The staff even looked put out taking payment and even demanded the whole 2 night stay upfront!! Clean enough. Had to hold the shower head to shower properly. WiFi signal poor considering router is in the hall. Poor finish to room ie wires hanging out in bathroom and shower door was weird and didn't shut properly. The room had 1 plug for the tv, fridge and any electrical equipment you have so they have to go on a rotation. This was poor because the fridge would gave to be switched off if you wanted to watch the tv and if you wanted to charge your phone neither could be plugged in, it was just weird and a hotel charging 60 euros a night should have adequate electrical points especially with the number of electrical gadgets people have and need these days. The back sliding door didn't shut properly and was just held on by a hook so in theory could be ripped open fairly easily if someone wanted to break in via the balcony. Air con worked very well but noisy. No view of anything but back of buildings from balcony and the hotel was fairly empty. The member of staff that checked us in was rude and arrogant and if I wasn't so tired from walking around I would have turned around and found somewhere else. Shame really because with better staff a lick of paint and the room improvements I mentioned earlier and this hotel would be a gem because it's in a great area.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank prettyspeeches1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

See The Parthenon from your Bed as well as from your private terrace. Do you want Atmosphere,Romantic ruins, History,all the glory of classical Greece? Stay at the Byron. White washed walls hung with contemporary Greek art, The Byron is in the most romantic street in Plaka. with stunning views of the Acropolis. The management are charming.. The Rooms are simple but all ensuite.. There is a simple breakfast available. Filamou Square is just around the corner and all central Athens in walking distance. The Bryon is mostly fully booked with returning clients who always stay there. I have stayed there for 25 years whenever i was in Athens.

Room Tip: Ask for a forward facing room.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hilary N
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

I loved my stay here, I stayed in late November so it was a little cold but I got extra blankets from the reception. The view is amazing from the top floor, on my second stay (after a two day jaunt north) i was in a lower room which had good but not fantastic views. the staff were friendly and helped me find my way about. GREAT location, close to amazing food and a short walk to the sights.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank LittleRunner168
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

Easy to find, literally 100m from nearest metro stop or 10 min walk from the square.

Our second floor balcony had a great view of the Acropolis.

We had hot water in shower but the size of the shower.. .... my god! Small is not the word.

Always someone in reception but no security lockers or safes.

Excellent roof terrace.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Pobox557
Cumbria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013 via mobile

I should have been put off by this hotel 'cashing in' on the name of the most famous Philhellenic - then to find that although the flags of half a dozen countries were flying (well drooping) outside, there was no Union Flag.
But it was worse than that. The room was dirty, the facilities minimal, and the staff either non-existent or one such could occasionally be spotted standing near the front door with a fag lying loosely in their lips.
I have no idea if they served breakfast - I up and ran for it as soon as I could be reasonably certain that a cafe was open elsewhere on the Plaka that could provide yoghurt and croissants.
Suggest very sincerely that you stay elsewhere! .

• Stayed January 2013
5 Thank Harehound

Travellers are raving about these Athens hotels

Dundee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

I have stayed all over the world and if I have ever had a problem in at hotel it has normally fixed. If the problem was not able then an apology is acceptable. I don't normally complain because I am quite easy going and you know what, sometimes things go wrong.

At the Byron hotel I experienced the worst customer service in my life. I complained about the dirty sheets as they were marked, smelt of damp and had I had four hairs on my sheet. I only wanted them to change the sheet and the guy started shouting at me calling me names and attacking me because I was English. I am not English !!!

I cant explain how this ruined my whole holiday. I felt bullied and he was a big guy and what could I do. I asked for my money back and he refused and then threatened me and told me that he had taken the full amount off of my card.

My girlfriend and I then left and he even came out onto the street to shout at me!!! He had my money, we were leaving and he even went to humiliate me in the street.

The rooms are dirty and smell of damp also the bins outside the room stink to high heaven and the TV and the internet does not work. In short do not stay here unless you fancy a fight and a dirty room.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank mike B
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012

Tonight when we arrived in Athens at the Byron Hotel, we were exposed to extreme rudness and undescribable disrespect from the reception desk.

Having walked in to our room, we discovered that we were not allocated with the double room we asked for. It did not fit the photograph which we saw on the website at all (it was a room number 21). The TV changer was not in the room either. TV is one of the main facilities advertised on the website. The room was shabby with the worst view you could imagine (bins full of smelly objects). I am surprised some people mention Acropolis view as we were welcomed by the back wall of another building and the said bins.

I went downstairs to try to sort out the problem with the type of the room and the lack of the TV changer. I let the reception person (a gentleman in his 50s with the glasses on) know that this is not the type of the room we booked and and asked if they had a different room which would fit our booking request. He said 'no.' At this point I accepted the reply. However, I also asked about the changer for our TV. And this is when the gentleman became really agitated. He explained that the TV sets do not work in the entire hotel. I calmly said that this is not the deal we made with the hotel. He then turned and said that for that price (€84) I should not expect the TV. I tried to point out that the TV was one of the facilities mentioned on the website for all types of the rooms. The gentleman was extremely rude stating that if I went for a better option, I might have well had the TV set. I asked him, how much would such a room be and he said that it would be double of what we paid. I checked this piece of information on booking.com and superior double room at this very moment costs €118 for two nights, which makes it €59 per night, not €84.

After extremely rude remarks, feeling humiliated and discriminated as a genuine traveller, I suggested I could stay in this room for a lower price if it did not have the TV. The receptionist started to be really aggressive in words saying that I must be ridiculous thinking they would have TV sets in the hotel rooms in this economic climate. I said I would like to speak to the manager. He said he was not available at that time as it was too late.

Confused, shouted at and humiliated we decided to leave the hotel. We cancelled our booking as we did not deserve to spend our last night of our holiday in a shabby, with the smell of dampness and without basic facilities room. The receptionist was still shouting out abusive words directed at us outside the hotel. We had to walk around Athens at night to look for another place to stay where we were not threatened by the staff and where we could be treated with respect.

We were deceived and bullied by the representative of the Byron Hotel. The entire situation almost destroyed our last two days of our holidays in Greece. I ignored a few negative comments while booking this hotel. This has been a huge lesson; never ever discriminate negative experiences of other travellers.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple