“A nice family run hotel in the middle of Plaka”
Review of Hotel Carolina

Hotel Carolina
Ranked #125 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Our booking was arranged by a travel agent in Crete. The hotel is well situated in the Plaka district off Monestaraki (Constitution) Square, in walking distance to the main attractions of Ancient Greece, and the busy street life of modern Athens, and much less expensive than the fancy hotels around the square proper. The rooms are not fancy, but more than adequate, comfortable, and always clean, and come with a basic breakfast in the common room. The family is kind and were helpful with suggestions and in arranging tours to some of the wonders of mainland Greece (Epidauras, Nafplio, Delphi, Meteora). When we returned on our own booking, after a short cruise to the islands, it felt a little like coming home.

Room Tip: The room we were given our second stay was much bigger than the first time, demonstrating that the r...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel in September.
The staff was very friendly and helpfull, rooms are clean and very comfy.
The hotel is really great, its walking distance to all attractions, you just turn around the corner and you're in the city centre. 5-10 min walk to Syntagma square, 20min walk to Acropolis.
I would really recommend this hotel, I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Athens.
The only downside for me it was that the bed was really hard, but its perfect if you have back problems.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JCR-83
Reviewed 5 August 2013

This was my third time staying here. The rooms are small however we never spend much time there as Athens has so much to do. The air conditioning works well and the staff is very helpful. They are now charging for breakfast. Hotel Carolina is very close to the Platka, Monastiraki, the Acropolis, and Syntagma.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor (cost more) have a huge balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lynne E
Reviewed 31 July 2013

My wife, two teenage girls and I stayed at the Carolina last week and had an excellent experience. The tripadvisor star rating indicates a 2 star hotel, and I would say it is fairly accurate. Staff was very helpful and polite. Location, location, location. 5 minute walk from subway station (first time to Athens, and we took the subway in from the airport, and found the hotel no problem) lots of shops, restaurants, and nightlife at your doorstep. Our room was on the second floor, and very little street noise. Facility is old (as is most of the area), but just what I expected, and frankly just what I was looking for. Rooms were clean, but small. Single mattress on the bed was a bit hard for my tastes, but satisfactory none the less. We did not take in the breakfast, as we decided on the bakery shop some 75 feet from the doorway for a quick meal. If you are looking for 4-5 star accomodations, and need to be pampered, than keep looking. If you want a nice little authentic Greek Hotel, in a fibrant neighborhood, than this place is for you. This trip was busy, and we did not stay anywhere long: (7 days, 7 countries, on 4 continents), and I would return to the Carolina, based on location and value. Colin W

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Colin W
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I had to spend one night in this ;hotel' a couple of weeks ago. It was dark and dingy, and although the sheets, towels etc were clean the place had a dirty feel to it. Does that even make sense? The gentlemen at reception was a miserable old sod and he was the ONLY staff member I saw! I have paid a lot less and stayed at much better! but after reading some of the positive comments I thought I'd check it out. Never Again! The only thing it's really got going for it is location, it's very central, but then, so are others.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank justlizGreece
Reviewed 4 June 2013

I checked in this hotel after a bad experience in another hotel in Athens. The owner and all the other people working in reception etc. were very friendly and helpfull. Room was very good, not big but nice and clean and with good beds and bathroom, and a nice balcony.
Location is very good, in a nice, safe and lively area with lots of restaurants and shops, and 10 minutes on foot from monesteriki metro station, plaka etc. very good value for a reasonable price.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Travelerfromams
Reviewed 13 April 2013

No problems with this place. As title suggests, we were happy with what we paid for. Cannot comment on breakfast. Staff were always friendly. The hotel is very central, 5 mins from metro, 10 mins from Acropolis.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple