“Fabulous Hotel for Staff, Location, and all Basic Amenities”
Review of Hermes Hotel

Hermes Hotel
Ranked #19 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Houston, Texas
“Fabulous Hotel for Staff, Location, and all Basic Amenities”
Reviewed 8 May 2011

This hotel was quite a find for us. After reading some less than positive reviews of our "original" hotel, I changed the reservation to the Hermes in the Plaka and was so happy that I did so. From the moment I arrived the staff at the Hermes were courteous, friendly, and very accomodating. No request was too large or too small, and I received undivided attention no matter how many people they had to serve in the lobby. Service is always provided with a friendly "hello" and a smile. Honestly, after touring all over Europe and feeling as if I was only tolerated in some hotels with my English and American ways, this was refreshing (and a trait I found of the Greek people in general).

Additionally, the location is FABULOUS. Right in the middle of nearly every attraction, you can walk in nice weather or hop on the metro which is really close. However, because the hotel is on a side street you get very little street noise. We slept all three nights with the windows open and never heard a peep outside.

Breakfast was hot, plentiful, and very tasty. Try the Greek Yogurt--we don't get anything near as tasty in the states. Internet access was provided at 2 euros an hour, very reasonable, and the rooms were well stocked with toiletries, towels, extra blankets, etc. They were also air conditioned.

Only thing I could possibly say against this hotel is that the beds are rather firm for my taste, which is definitely something I have noticed across Europe so I chalk that up to regional differences in taste. However, since the Hermes provides extra bedding, you can use it as "padding" if you prefer a softer bed as well.

Book this hotel, you will have a fabulous stay.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
DORINAPLAKA, General Manager at Hermes Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2011
Dear Guest,

We're delighted to read your comments and thank you for sharing your positive experience on Trip Advisor. Comments such as these are a tremendous motivation for us all to continue offering the standards of service to our guests. Thank you for all the details writen and the high score.

Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 25 April 2011

We stayed at the Hermes hotel based on it's great reviews on trip advisor and were completely disappointed. Yes the hotel has a great location. We walked everywhere with our three young children but apart from that, this hotel falls short. The staff at the front desk, especially the men, were completely rude from the moment we checked in until the moment we left. I don't think they smiled once.They looked at us like we were a thorn in their side and that they would rather be anywhere else than sitting behind that desk trying to help a bunch of stupid tourists.

We asked them a number of times for help with various things and they were utterly useless.Time and time again, we got rude and curt responses from the front desk and were treated poorly. For example, we wanted to book a trip out of Athens for a day and the guy at the front desk could not tell us any information about what would be best etc. He threw a brochure at us and said pick one and he would book it. When I asked him which he would recommend with our kids, he basically said, Well read the brochure and just pick one. In the end, I went onto trip advisor and picked a private tour company to show us around which were amazing (privategreecetours.com). On another occasion, my husband and I went to the front desk to ask where a pharmacy would be open on a Sunday. We had a bag stolen in Athens which had my husband's Epipen in it and we needed to quickly pick up another one. (Not really something you can go around without or even wait for until the next day.) A different guy at the front desk told us he had no idea where there was a pharmacy open and that we should walk to a closed one, read the sign (which was in Greek) on the door which would state where one was open and then ask a local to translate it for us! I asked him if there was no other way for him to find out after all it was kind of an emergency, ie. look it up online or call someone and he said no. Instead of taking his ridiculous advice, we went next door to the Central Hotel where the gentleman at the front desk gladly looked it up for us online and then drew out a map sending us directly there so we wouldn't get lost. Thank you Central Hotel!

The breakfast at the Hotel was not very good. Mini hot dogs and baked beans every day, yuck! The lady in the breakfast room every morning was kind and tried to be helpful but even she gave us the wrong bus numbers to go to the Archaeological Museum but thankfully a kind local on the street sent us to the right bus. The so-called children's play area was filthy and gross and we wouldn't let our 4 year old play in there. I don't think the toys had been cleaned since the hotel opened. Also, don't believe the photos that show a rooftop garden overlooking the Acropolis. Those are photos from their sister hotel, The Plaka. The Hermes Hotel does not have a rooftop terrace or even one you can go onto to look around. They shouldn't post these photos on their website, it is deceiving.

I'm not sure why others have given this hotel such great reviews for service and why our experience was so very different but I would definitely not stay here again and would not recommend it to others. I also tried to email the hotel after our stay when we were in Naxos to ask them a question and they did not even reply. They had our money, why bother!

My advice, take your money and stay somewhere else!! Athens has plenty of options and is a great city to tour around. It has more to offer.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Cdn_fam_travels
DORINAPLAKA, General Manager at Hermes Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2011
Dear Guest,

Kindly accept our most sincere apologies for causing you such a big disappointment during your recent stay in our hotel. We surely value all the feedbacks positive or negative. Please let me give some explanations.

-.I am really surprised that the staff behaved in such a rude way, as such lapses in service are indeed rare . As you may have read, we are a hotel that customer service is our priority. I am still investigating with all details about the two occasions.
- Concerning our extended breakfast, I understand that you may not like bacon, sausages or beans but we have clients from many nationalities and we are trying to please them all. We are offering as well eggs, fruits,fresh croissant, a variety of cakes, different breads, cereals and a rich Greek corner with local delicacies. I believe that some of these must have pleased you and your children.
- As for the children area, is regularly checked . It may not have suited your children age, but most children and parents are appreciating it after a long day out in Athens.Your comment about may be getting some new additional has been considered.
- -As for the picture from roof terrace and the view of the Acropolis, on our website are from Hermes Hotel.The view has been restricted lately after they illegal works of the building next door.As a result we have ordered a stage/podium to be able to have again the view we are missing.
- I have tried to contact you three times on the email you gave us but we never received any reply. May be this is the reason you believe that we did not reply to you while you were in Naxos.

As mentioned, our clients satisfaction is a primary concern and I apologize we did not manage to match your expectations.
I have been waiting for your reply to my emails for some further details
I remain at your disposal.

Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2011

This is a really nice hotel just a few minutes walk from Syntagma and close to Plaka. I travelled with four friends and we are all learning Greek. The staff were very friendly and were happy to talk to us in Greek (slowly). The rooms were very clean with nice balconies and good showers. I shared a triple room which was not at all cramped. The buffet breakfast was nice with a good choice of food. There was a comfortable lounge area in the lobby with filter coffee provided. I would definitely stay there again and it will be even nicer in season when the roof terrace will be open.

Room Tip: A higher floor for the best views.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Xpns
amsterdam
Reviewed 21 March 2011

good location, friendly staff, clean rooms, very central. Allways plessure to stay here

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank AmsterdamSebastian
DORINAPLAKA, General Manager at Hermes Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2011
Dear Guest,

I thank you for sharing your positive experience on T. A that will be helpfull to future clients. for Your high score is mostly appreciated.
Kind regards
Gulpen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 18 March 2011

We stayed the first week of March in this modern small hotel (#307) at a reasonal price!
Withing walking distace of Syntagma Metrostation and all the archeological sites in the heart of Plaka district.

The room was big enough and beds where good. Cleaned every day.
Breakfast (buffet) was excellent and beyond expectations.
Special thanks foor the helpfull an freindly staff. Especially the young girl who helped us with tips (during breakfast) toget the best out of our stay.
Compliments to you all!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
DORINAPLAKA, General Manager at Hermes Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing our hotel during your recent visit to Athens. Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and we are pleased to know that our high standards of service and facilities enabled you to have an enjoyable and memorable stay.
Kind regards
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 24 February 2011

People were very friendly and serviceminded. Everything was possible in this hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
DORINAPLAKA, General Manager at Hermes Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you ever so much for beeing a repeated client. I hope we will always offer you what you are expecting. See you soon again! Kalo mina!

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2011

Stayed on third floor .Balcony dangerous for little kids,huge open gap to r hand side down to street!!!!!also air cond pipes in walkway of balcony door,exposed.no balcony furniture.
Bathroom poorly ventilated,low ceiling,not good for 6 footers!!shower flooded bathroom.
Breakfast superb buffet although not till 2pm as advertised on website,only until 10am.
Large group of Greek students caused unbearable noise for 2 nights out of our 3,being on our floor!!!!!!!Not good when you booked a family room.Breakfast was also a noisy time!!!
Wooden floors are lovely but you can here all footsteps!!!
The staff were wonderful,thanks to Angeliki who helped us with our itinery,Dionysis on reception who made us feel totally at home,and on the last day to Margherita on reception who was most helpful at check out.
Next time I would ensure we were as far away from the students as possible as they were roaming around at night!!We wanted a quiet break but didnt get one!!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
DORINAPLAKA, General Manager at Hermes Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. All details are of importance to us in order to help us iimprove.
I will pass over your compliments and appreciation to our staff.
Bets regards