“Great Location, Great Value for Money”
Review of Hermes Hotel

Hermes Hotel
Ranked #15 of 285 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 23 January 2014

This was the second time I've stayed at the Hermes Hotel and I was not disappointed.

The Hermes Hotel is very reasonably priced in an excellent location. Syntagma Square is only 3 or 4 minutes walk (handy for the metro and the X95 bus service to the airport, just 5 euros for the bus which takes between 50 - 60 minutes) The restaurants around Plaka are just a few minutes walk and all the places of interest are not too far away.

The hotel is very clean and comfortable, the staff are very friendly and there is a good choice of items available at breakfast. At breakfast there was always someone around asking guests (speaking many languages) if there is anything they can do to improve guests stay and helping new arrivals plan their day – pointing out attractions etc on maps. The hotel has is a small roof terrace which is very pleasant (guests can also use the roof terrace at the sister hotel – Hotel Plaka which has a much larger terrace and it has a bar in the evening and lovely views of the Acropolis).

The hotel also has free Wi-fi which is available all over the hotel including the bedrooms and there is a desktop computer guests can use in the reception / lounge area. Free tea, coffee and biscuits are available for guest during the day. There is also a very reasonable priced 24 hour laundry service available.

I’ll be back and I will be telling my friends to stay there too.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank PalaceJohn2011
Dorina S, General Manager at Hermes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear PalaceJohn2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments following your last visit to the hotel. As returning and much-valued guests your feedback is most important to us and I am therefore thrilled that we have once again met your expectations and made this visit another superb stay. I have already passed on your kind words to my great team. We hope to see you once again in 2014.
My best wishes

Write a ReviewReviews (1,619)

Reviewed 21 January 2014

This hotel has all stars for comfort, central location, accommodating staff. First, the staff. These women and men go the extra mile to make sure you are comfortable, your concerns are addressed, and that you have what you need to enjoy your stay in Athens. Add to that--particularly for travelers from the U.S., who are used to crappy "free" breakfasts ala the holiday inn--you can enjoy a high quality breakfast each morning, complete with delicious cappuccino. Fruit, feta, eggs, breads, cereal, and more, are included in the cost of our room. But the real topper is that the manager talks to all guests at breakfast and asks if there are problems--and then she solves them! The first day I was offered a better room, with a balcony and a view. The staff located a tailor for me to alter clothes, recommended a moderately priced cab, told us where "real people" shop and eat, in other words, made us comfortable and made sure we did not waste money or time. PLUS, they have a mini bar available if you just want a drink in their lounge after a long day. They have a gorgeous and comfortable room to sit and talk (and have a drink) if you want to get out of your room but don't want to go out. No complaints. AND, it cost about $120 a night for a double room. My roommate and I spent the equivalent of about $60 per night and had zero problems.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, but the ones with balcony or view are nicer.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank muffy_sunde

Dear
I was absolutely delighted to read your feedback following your recent stay with us at the Hermes Hotel. I have already passed on your kind words to the team members mentioned and the rest of the team. I do hope that you will join us again soon.
My best wishes for a happy 2014!!!

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We wanted to visit the acropolis and were very close. All staff were very courteous and helpful. While at breakfast one of the staff came round to each table and asked your plans for the day and drew on map best way to get to acropolis, how much and other places we wanted to visit. Also offered free coffee & tea all day and we popped in twice for coffee and to use facilities although we had checked out. They kept our cases in locked room till late afternoon when our taxi arrived. Good shower, plenty of hot water and comfortable bed.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Zigalig99
Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind words following your recent stay with us. I was glad to read that we met your expectations and that you also liked the attentive service we provide which makes this a special place to stay. I will be sure to share your lovely comments with the team who will be most appreciative. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
Best wishes

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Very clean room and comfortable bed. the management was very good as well and the staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel is located in a very central location in Athens, next to the shops, restaurants and cafes. 100% recommended

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dorina S, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Hermes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear Nekt K
Thank you for sharing feedback on your recent stay with us. It is wonderful to know that you had a great experience and your stay was a memorable one. We will be looking forward to welcome you back on your next trip to Athens.
Best wishes for 2014!!

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Very clean, comfortable beds, excellent breakfast, top location and great staff who really made the time to ensure our stay (two nights) was as comfortable as possible. Would recommend it to anyone looking for the a top three star stay in Athens.

Room Tip: Superior room refers to two double beds but they are actually two single beds or 1 1/2 beds put tog...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Fiona Z
Dorina S, General Manager at Hermes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Dear Fiona Z
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a trip advisor review. We are delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves with every aspect of the hotel, including the friendly staff, the rooms and the standard of service. Thank you for your recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
Best wishes for 2014!

Reviewed 3 January 2014

This is a fine hotel for exploring Athens. Budget friendly, but still felt clean and modern, and central enough that you can walk everywhere. There are lots of shops/restaurants in the vicinity. The hotel has complimentary breakfast and even put something together for us in the middle of the night because we had a very early international flight. We were also greeted with a small bottle of wine and dessert upon check in. The lobby has cookies for replenishing after a long walk about town. To be fair, I want to clarify that it is 4 star service, but I wouldn’t necessarily consider this 4 star quality. They are definitely doing their best with what they got so I will commend them for that. For what we needed, this hotel worked out great. If you want to step it up a bit, you are able to go to their sister hotel for a fantastic roof top lounge that looks out to the Acropolis. If going to or from the airport, the X95 shuttle drops off and picks up a few blocks from the hotel at Syntagma square and runs 24 hours a day. If all you need is a crash pad for Athens that doesn’t cost a lot, but is well maintained and contemporary, this is an excellent option.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank someplace_new277
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I booked a two-night stay for two rooms at Hermes through Olotels.com when searching on TripAdvisor for a hotel in Athens. I had not heard of Olotels previously but figured since it appeared on TA and the price was the best, I went with it. After that I had an anxiety episode – that is going to be a different review for Olotels, but Hermes came through by confirming it had my reservation on record. Front-desk was efficient and courteous. We thought we would be in interior-facing rooms per the reservation description, but we were given two adjoining rooms with balconies on the 4th floor. What I appreciated the most was that this was done without our asking; maybe because it was already the beginning of the non-peak season (late November) but regardless it shows the hotel is committed to a good guest experience. The two rooms actually are situated behind a separate suite door to the hallway, which means you have the option of just locking the suite door and leave the individual room doors open for easier interaction between the rooms. Although the rooms are in fact small by US standards – a 24”+ luggage could not be wheeled through the space between the foot of the bed and the wall, they are kept very clean and the décor is modern. The included breakfast is decent with a good variety, and the manager did come around to help us plan the day and mark up maps for us. When I told her I didn’t have a guidebook about Athens, she came back to me with copies of a few relevant pages of a guidebook which gave us a better context when visiting the sites. Now that’s what I call initiative!

The hotel is within an easy walk to Syntagma Sq, the Acropolis, the shopping from Ermou St all the way to the next Metro station Monastiraki. We never needed to take the metro except from the airport to Syntagma Sq. Finding the hotel may be a little challenging if you don’t have a smartphone (which is my case). I thought we had it down, what with maps and directions indicated on the hotel website, but it’s a whole different thing when you come out of the Metro (and there are many exits) and don’t have bearings. So if you have luggage (or not) you can take the elevator inside the Syntagma Sq station. On exit you are at the far end of the Square. You will see a bustling 4+ lane street directly in front if you walk away from the elevator (not 100% but I think it’s called Stadiou which becomes Filellinon). Get to the sidewalk and look to your left – at the corner there is a newsstand (thanks to the nice man in the newsstand we made it to the hotel in less than 15 minutes with luggage and all). Walk to the corner and cross the busy 4+ lane street and you will be on Mitropoleos. Take the first left from Mitropoleos and you will be on Nikis. The first right from Nikis is Apollonos. Walk straight down Apollonos and you will come to the hotel on the left after several longer blocks.

This next point I am making doesn’t take away anything from Hermes Hotel but is just a heads-up for fellow travelers: there are 2-3 Greek restaurants down the little street directly in front of the hotel and the greeters could be overzealous in trying to get you to dine there. This happened on our first night – men from two different restaurants stopped us as we were walking by and showed their menus. We looked and politely explained that we wanted to look around. It became a bit of a nuisance when they kept “selling” it even after being told several times. We avoided that street the next evening.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank lulusays
Dorina S, General Manager at Hermes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear lulusays
Thank you for your feedback and a great review of our hotel. What a nice of you to give such detailed instructions to the future guests so they will find their way to the hotel,easily. Our staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's experience here is amazing and that you will leave wanting to return soon. We are delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves with every aspect of the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back as our valued guests.
Best wishes