“Perfect” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 325 Hotels in Athens
Melbourne, Australia
“Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Great hotel, great location, nice rooms, excellent service! I have stayed here twice and will be returning this year with some friends. The staff were really nice and very helpful, breakfast was great, and it's very central to everything :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dorina S, General Manager at Hermes Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Adrian L
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with travel community! It’s great to know that you enjoyed the location and that our staff was there when you needed them. We cant wait to see you again!
Until next time!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Araraquara, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

This was our favorite hotel in our 2-wk vacation in Greece, particularly because of their exceptionally helpful, friendly and efficient staff. Their location, within easy walking distance of the Plaka region and Syntagma Square, was also a huge plus. The room was clean and comfortable, and breakfast offered a wonderful variety of local specialties. Hotel Hermes will be our first choice whenever we return to Athens!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dorina S, General Manager at Hermes Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Laura H
Thank you for your great review and for the great feedback on our hotel. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast as we are continually enriching it with fresh local products.
We hope we can welcome you back soon .
Best regards
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Probably the best location in a quieter side street just off all major spots like syntagma square, monastraki and the Acropoolis area, this little modern hotel is well managed by friendly multi-lingual staff. The best value for money- clean tidy room, clean modern bathroom. All good things going for them but two things: walls are very thin so you can hear the neighbors talking in the next room, the first morning I awake with someone sneezing next door. Second, the breakfast buffet can improve a bit as I stayed four nights and all four mornings exactly same offerings and not so much fresh veggies/fruits. I don't eat so much sweet stuff like cakes or sweet stuffed filo tart for breakfast nor heavy stuff like sausage so it was bit hard to find healthy food, had a boiled egg and greek yogurt everyday. But I know that I am also asking a lot from a simple 3-star.
Overall a good experience and worth every penny.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank czp_11
Dear czp_11
Thank you for your great review. We are centrally located, as you point out, in the best location for guests who seek absolute proximity to the Parthenon and the New Acropolis Museum. Among other aspects of our hotel for which we are proud for, the variety of choices in our breakfast is something that so many guests had been absolutely satisfied. I am disapointed that all these four days you haven't found something healthy as you mention because after all the fresh fruits and veggies that we offer you also can taste local tastes such as olives,feta cheese and three different types of cereals and so many things. Also let me underline that our soundproof infrastructure is absolutely according to international standards, which in cases of somewhat-more enthusiastic guest walking around may not prove that adequate. Thank you for taking from your time to share with other travellers your impressions of your visit as we are always trying to find areas of improvement. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Best wishes!
Iserlohn, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We paid just about 80 Euros in a location very close to the Acropolis and the other ancient sites, in a very nice and clean room. Extraordinary was the effort of the people of the hotel to make our stay as nice as possible: At the first breakfast personal tips for visits, entrance times etc. VEry nice

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We spent 3 nights on athens and hermes hotel.
The position of this hotel is very good, you only take 5 minutes from the X95 bus station to the hotel.
The hotel is small and clean, the room is ok and offer free wine and cookie.
The elevator is so tiny that can fit 2 people and their baggage once but have very sweet posts inside.
The stuffs are nice and lobby is cozy. We left earlier and got a earlier breakfast.
Overall, this place is good for economy and business stay. I will choose it if I go to athens again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Lima
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

A few weeks ago I stayed at the Central Hotel, next to the Hermes, (I wrote a review about it).
I had to come back to Greece and the Central was fully booked so booked at the Hermes (good reviews and more expensive than Central, I thought it should be fine).

First impression: just fine, not as new as Central but ok, staff was nice.
Room: fine, bathroom decent size compared to other hotels in Plaka and clean.

So we had a good night and after doing the checkout at 6:00 am the staff offered me an early breakfast while I waited for my husband to be ready, obviously not everything was going to be available because it was too early so it would be a small breakfast.
I got to the breakfast room and couldn't believe my eyes. It looked like a battlefield, everything dirty from the previous day, but not only dirty, food was still there completely exposed not even covered.
I understand that there is no need to empty the cereal dispensers every day or refrigerate the jams, but CHEESE? BUTTER? "FRESH" ORANGE JUICE? All those things (amongst others like cake and bread) had been sitting there for what I can only assume were 24 hours without refrigeration.

I was convinced that they where just going to throw everything away which I thought was a pity because it was a lot of food but no one should eat unrefrigerated feta or butter....and even if it was still in edible conditions no hotel would offer its guests such a bad quality breakfast......So I decided to have only a coffee from the electric coffee machine, and took a sit.
A few minutes later a lady came out from the kitchen, my coffee was disgusting but I wanted to see what she would do with the food so I stayed. She wasn't very comfortable with my presence. The first thing she did was to take the plastic ice blocks from under the cheese tray and the butter bowl and replace them with cool ones. She brought more cheese and filled the tray, then she refilled the orange juice container.
That was enough for me, I had seen how dirty everything was, how exposed food had stayed for A whole day, how they offered guests food that had been unrefrigerated, etc. Obviously I didn't let my husband have even a coffee and we left.

I really never thought that the "backstage" of a hotel's breakfast could be so filthy and unhealthy, I hope that it is just this hotel and would advice everyone not to stay there. Apart from the quality and condition of the food, central Athens is not the cleanest place, if I was a rat I would be delighted to have that banquet for 24 hours every day, I didn't see any rats but wouldn't be surprised to find one after seeing this.

Finally, if they to this with food who knows how they clean the bathrooms or wash the sheets....

I had an early breakfast at the Central when I stayed there, at the breakfast room at 5:30 approx and everything was tidy, I saw the lady bringing food covered from the kitchen. The only thing that was already there were cookies covered in plastic film.

I hope that you find this helpful, I promise I am not picky I am a normal clean person.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank christelkss
Dorina S, General Manager at Hermes Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Kristelkss,
I am glad you mentioned our friendly and well trained staff, as well as our marble bathrooms which for a three star hotel are indeed of large size.

Naturally, I am disappointed to learn of you rating your stay so poorly. We are particularly sensitive in terms of guest satisfaction. But mostly I am shocked from what you wrote about the early breakfast .

Specifically:
We have been certificated with ISO and HACCP, as well as awarded many times for our cleanliness
from our clients .
99% of our precious guests are raving our rich and of great quality breakfast (please read previous reviews).
As you mentioned, you were not the first one having breakfast at 6 am. Other clients have left earlier using the breakfast room. I am glad you saw our staff changing the ice blocks to confirm that we keep them cool. Also, you noticed that we filled the trays in small portions in order to make sure that they will be fresh. We practice FIFO (first in -first out). If our food was unrefridgerated our clients would have been sick . I can assure you that you will not find a single review not so ever, anywhere with a relevant comment.
Athens is a beautiful, clean and exceptionaly interesting city! Most of Athenians in tourist industry are professionals and this is why this year is expected to be a great year!

Best regards
Weeting, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

The Hermes hotel was a very friendly place to be. Situated in the Plaka, in the centre of Athens. Its close to the Acropolis, Roman Agora, Ancient Agora, Syntagma Square and the nice Monstraki area which has lots of stalls, shops and restaurants.

The staff are very friendly and very helpful, who try to help you make the best of your trip, giving you maps and additional information about exploring the surrounding area. The breakfast room always has a good selection of food to choose from and the view from the roof of the Acropolis and surrounding area is amazing :D You also have the chance to go to the hotels sister hotel (the Plaka Hotel) further down the road to have another good view of the Acropolis.

Whilst in Athens my family hired a car in order to go to Delphi and tried to park it near the hotel, which we could as the hotel was a block away from a parking area (at 10 Euros a day and the same at night).One downside was the fact that some of the staff didn't know anything about the charges for the parking and were very vague about it which wasn't helpful at all. In the end we had to ask the parking staff ourselves which was a bit frustrating at times.

Overall, this has been one of the best holidays I have been on for a long time and I would definitely go back :D I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone, including family and friends.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family