“Agree with 'Rob from London' - A little dated but spotless - great location”

Plaza Vouliagmeni Strand Hotel
Ranked #152 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 25 June 2012

For the value this is a great little hotel. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. There is a breakfast terrace with enough food to set you up till lunchtime, there is a bar on the top floor and the views we had were lovely. The beach is within a very small walk and it is a GOOD BEACH too. There are also some fantastic restaurants within walking distance and I was told that the Italian restaurant on site was perfectly fine too.
We ate our lunch in the hotel opposite - only because we were obsessed with their BLT sandwiches and salads and it was peaceful too.
Our room although dated was a good size, incl the bathroom with walk in shower. I am particularly fussy about cleanliness but it was absolutely spot on. The sheets smelt fresh, the room was made up well and quickly, I asked for 2 more pillows that got delivered super quick and being a person that wears ear plugs at night generally, the road noise wasn't at all bad... I would go back.

Room Tip: We were in Room 401 on the corner - the curtains were a little broken here and there and the decor w...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tiredbunny2002

Reviewed 23 June 2012

Plaza Vouliagmeni is a lovely hotel. The decor is a little dated but it's comfortable and clean. Staff were very helpful, and breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RobFromLondon
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I stayed at Plaza Vouliagmeni Strand Hotel for 4 nights several years ago. Unfortunately, there was not a safety deposit box in the room so the front desk told me that they would hold my valuables for me when I left my room. Per their instruction, I left my passport, wallet, credit cards and money with them while I explored Athens. When I returned later in the evening and asked to collect my personal belongings, the front desk denied ever having taken my valuables. They accused me of losing my valaubles and blaming it on them.

I calmly asked to speak to the manager who reiterated that I must have lost my personal items and that the hotel was not responsible. I continued to insist that the staff member (who was still working his shift at the front desk) had taken my items, and the staff member became very angry and hostile and accused me and my husband of slander.

Apparently slander is a punishable crime in Greece, and after an argument ensued the manager called the police to arrest my husband and I for false accusations against the staff. The police escorted us to the station and informed us that if we continued with our accusations of theft against the hotel staff, we would be put in jail.

Needless to say Plaza Vouliagmeni Strand Hotel was the WORST hotel experience of my life. I am a very seasoned world traveler and have traveled without incident prior to and subsequent to this event. I would recommend that travelers avoid the Plaza Vouliagmeni Strand Hotel
at all costs.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank ebny
Reviewed 30 August 2011

The hotel itself is 3 stars and could use some updating, but that is my only complaint. The staff was amazing and helpful. They let check in almost 4 hours early, rushing to get the rooms ready (2 rooms booked) and they were connected rooms as requested. They arranged taxi's for us and for a shuttle to pick us up at the airport. Be prepared, the elevator can only hold about 2 people, but the bell hop took the luggage up for us. Complimentary breakfast and wifi. Not too far from the beach and our room had an amazing balcony with a partial beach view. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank creolehut
Reviewed 7 July 2011

We stayed here for two nights. Firstly, there's no car parking anywhere nearby - you need to scour the surrounding streets to find a park. The person at reception was pretty impersonal but we could live with that. The room was small, and wifi and satellite tv were intermittent. Bathroom tiny, even by Greek standards. No kettle, but that's typical of Greek hotels. You get what you pay for and this hotel's one of the cheapest options in the area.

The worst thing is Vouliagmeni - a boring, snobbish suburb where there's nothing to do except go to the beach. There are a few restaurants, all overpriced, not even a souvlaki bar. I think the suburb is geared for beach going honeymooners and not much else. One public and two private beaches nearby. Can't walk along the private beach unless you pay. Public beach only 40 metres long. Coming from Australia where beaches don't have entrance fees, we found this shocking, especially given the (lack of) quality of the beaches. Sea water in private beach dirty and incredibly salty, stung my eyes. On a last note, we were in room 503, which had a nice view of the sea but was incredibly noisy at night with people drinking above us in the 6th floor public area. Would not recommend for light sleepers. We went back to Glyfada where at least we could go shopping and walk along the beach at dusk.

Room Tip: Not 503 if you're a light sleeper
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank horiklia
Reviewed 1 July 2011

We recommended this hotel to family and friends who visited Athens for our wedding. The location is super. The breakfast was good and the people at reception, reservations or bar area all very friendly. The roof balcony was a great place to sit, enjoy the view, read a book, chat with friends or just relax!
Good value for money!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with sea view! Exellent!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank MariaStavroula
Reviewed 23 May 2011

Great stay at this hotel, really impressed with the room and the service, stayed 4 nights and staff were really helpful and friendly. Couldn't recommend more, however did have a sewage smell in communal areas - but then - so did the whole street!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple