“Great location, but...”

Ranked #21 of 67 Speciality Lodging in Athens
Geelong, Australia
“Great location, but...”
Reviewed 10 June 2012

On the basis of the excellent location and okay reviews we had booked two stays here for either side of a week in the Greek Isles, but after the first night of the first stay cancelled the second stay and rebooked at another Athens hotel we had previously stayed in with friends. In contrast to every other accomodation we stayed in during four weeks travelling through Switzerland and Greece, staff here were unsmiling and seemed indifferent to our presence. Perhaps being in our early fifties we were outside the target demographic for the inn, but that has not been an issue in any other youth hostel or backpacker focussed accomodation we have stayed in in Australia, NZ or Switzerland. Our ensuite room was VERY small and basic, and while we could have put up with that we quickly grew tired of falling over each other and our luggage trying to move around the room, and knew that by accepting a less central location in Athens we could return to the other hotel and get a MUCH better room for the same price with staff who acted like they really wanted us staying with them, and where they were happy to store our luggage free of charge while we were on the islands (unlike here where it was going to cost us €2 per item per night).

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 26 May 2012

We are seasoned travelers and had just spent 1 month on the road in Spain on this particular trip. We did not last the airport metro ride before we became another Athens pick pocketing victim. Unbeknown to us we happily proceeded to the hotel, where we were asked for ID to complete check in. I will never forget my partner looking through her bag searching for the passports, when she remembered the incident on the metro where she was pushed and the passports stolen. Still, with legs trembling and crying, she poured the contents of her bag onto the floor of reception in a last ditch effort to find them. Then came the request for ID again. Unbelievably, not a word of compassion from the staff. There was no offer of, go to your room and check in later, have a seat we will get you a drink, here's a tissue, etc. I guess we were lucky she accepted a photocopy of the passports I had as ID.
I was to find out that pick pocketing is a bigger problem in Athens than most other European cities and the feeling we got was that we were an embarrassment to the staff and it's no big deal. It was head in the sand stuff. I stayed for two nights and had to come back again for three nights after a week to obtain emergency passports. Not once did they ask how we were coping or if there were any developments. Friendly? Strictly on their terms and when they have "smooth sailing".
Now for the hotel itself. On both occasions we had a private room with ensuite. The rooms are devoid of furniture. There are two single beds with a bedside in the middle and an open wardrobe. There is an air conditioner that you turn on and off at the fuse box. We had a balcony but there are no chairs to sit on, inside or out. The bathroom has no hot water in the basin. To flush the toilet, you had to push the flush button many times, quickly in order to build up the air pressure it works on. It did not always flush and you had to wait. They boast you can make international calls on the room phone, well you can't even make local calls as there is a "problem" with the phones. But you may use the public phone downstairs where everyone can hear your conversation. Wifi. What Wifi? Advertised, but not operable, again you may use our three computers downstairs, if they are free. The room is not made up every day.
Now the money side. They will have the audacity to cherge you a ten Euro deposit for the room
key. They will charge you to leave your luggage with them in between your stays there, even for one day. They will charge you to book a taxi, up to six Euros more on the set airport fare.
They charge up to 58 Euros for a room, yes I know it's the Plaka and a good location, but it is not a give away.
If you want a hostel and poor service to go with that, book a dorm.
My point, if you come to Greece to visit the islands, don't leave the Athens airport. If you must see the Acropolis, give yourself one night, maximum two and stay in the Plaka. There are many places in the Plaka that for a little more offer a lot more, and for the one or two nights it would be worth it.
I don't like hotels that cash in purely on their location, and this hotel is one of those.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cdmm58

Travellers are raving about these Athens hotels

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We chose it because of the price/location.

Location is wonderful, just in the middle of Plaka. A 10 minute walk from the nearest subway station. Very good price for the location. Room (double ensuite) was decent enough for the price paid (in Plaka!).

Wifi was not working by the time we were there.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This is a superbly located hostel in the heart of the Plaka with an excellent range of bars and restaurants on the doorstep in a safe and tourist part of the city. 5 mins walk to Syntagma Sq and 10 mins to Monastiraki.

The hostel is homely and welcoming, with very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable staff. The rooms and common areas are clean, with an outdoor courtyard and indoor seating area available for guests. Free internet is provided and reception is staffed 24 hours.

The rooms are comfortable, though some of the dorms are quite compact - some en-suite. Hot water was generally available for showers. Breakfast (additional charge) is basic, but can be enjoyed in the courtyard.

I would definately recommend this hostel - excellent value for a central hostel in a capital city.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Andy N
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I am in Athens for one night on a budget. The only question I asked in reception is "Do you have wireless internet?" He said yes, so I booked in, as I need it. I am now sat on the stone stairs outside the reception, because the wireless internet does not stretch to my bedroom, and I have to use it. I have a freezing breeze at my back, it's uncomfortable, and it is ridiculous that the receptionist insists that it's the only room I can have, considering there are loads of keys in the pigeonholes and it's off season.

The only reason I have given it 2 instead of 1 is the price is reasonable, the receptionist is friendly if intractable, and allegedly it's in a good location but that doesn't really effect me. It is just disappointing as, had I known I would not be able to get online in my bedroom I would have 100% found another hotel for my money.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Alhimself
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Liked: Location was perfect... You could walk everywhere and feel safe walking through the area even at night time. The acropolis is a short walk and there are many tavernas that line the street so eating out is easy. The room was a good size and the beds were fairly comfortable. There were no in room lockers to lock your things but they had a luggage room. I just pushed my bag under my bed and my stuff was fine. My room had two small patios which was nice every now and then to watch the people walking by. The street numbers are a little weird but if u follow the directions on hostel bookers. U should find it ok... Just keep walking until u reach the tavernas and then u will be fine... I got confused by the numbers. I would probably stay here again because it was cheap and in a good location.

Disliked: only one thing... The bathrooms were very dirty. They need to be cleaned more than once a day (if they are even cleaned once a day). The floor was black from peoples feet and often sopping wet. I didn't take a pair of thongs for the shower and was really grossed out... Make sure u bring thongs (flip flops)... I didn't have a shower the second night because I couldn't bare the thought of going in there without thongs. Also a couple of times I went into the toilet and there was no toilet paper... Lucky I always check first!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I've been here before and I love to stay here,
such a good international place to stay and to meet people from over the whole world,
it makes Athens a great place to stay

go there, trui