Open today: 00:00 - 23:59

from US$58.67
from US$34.51
from US$77.27
5,647 results
All reviews flea market metro station busy square souvenir shops ermou street hadrian's library narrow streets ancient agora pickpockets acropolis tourists tavernas gifts graffiti stroll greece ruins
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 September 2019 via mobile

It is the place in the old city of Athens (Plaka) that combines the tourist buzz with a stroll along some ancient paths, the traditional Greek food (I love souvlaki), with a stunning view of the lit Acropolis at nights. If you are visiting Athens and want to feel the vibes of the old city, you can't miss Monastiraki...

1  Thank 654nikosk
Reviewed 21 September 2019 via mobile

You can’t spend a vacation in Athens without walking Monastiraki. So many shops to choose from, there’s something for everyone. New leather jacket, check...Byzantine souvenirs from Mount Athos, check...fashionable clothes for the women in your life, check. Don’t be afraid to haggle over prices either.

2  Thank Whartonfe
Reviewed 19 September 2019

Usual square, many stores and beggars. A big amount of cafes and restaurants to any taste or budget.

1  Thank nikkyisgreat
Reviewed 18 September 2019

nice place with shops and train station. close by you have Plaka with flea market and restaurants....

Date of experience: April 2019
1  Thank Virginie h
Reviewed 18 September 2019

We had a lovely time in Athens and the people are all very friendly and some great food and restaurants, however I must write and give one word of caution when out in the flea market and other crowded areas.

On the last day, as we had checked out, i decided to carry my Passport with me rather than leave it in some left luggage store. During the day in the Flea market, I was pick pocketed and they stole my passport. I only discovered this loss later that evening at Athens Airport and had to return back to the city, and book a hotel and then go thru an emergency travel documents application process and only able to travel three days later. All these cost money of course and were totally unplanned.

The people who stole it, had initially approached us to sell flowers, when we said no, they tried to give us the flowers as a gift, for free. We refused this too, but they persisted, and kept pushing the flowers up close to us.

I now realise that the big bunch of flowers was a cover / camouflage to hide their hand and to do the pick pocketing. At the same time another in their team distracted my wife so that she could not see what was going on. So it was all planned and organised.

I reported it to the "Special" tourist police, and they basically just wrote out a notice and handed it to me for insurance purposes. I tried to tell them / describe the suspects and they were not in the least bit bothered. They said if I wanted to do that, then I needed to wait for a further one hour and file another legal report. So of course, I did not want to have to wait another hour. The Tourist Police also seemed bemused that why was I making such a fuss, as this was a very common occurence, and he showed me his register of the last day which had dozens of entries. His point being this is common and I should get on with it.

He also said that even if the Police did anything, they would be out in a day or two and would be back to the same old tricks. That was like his justification for doing nothing.

I was thinking privately, that its no wonder therefore with that attitude of the police, that there is so much of it around, as although the "laid back" attitude of the Greeks is generally charming, at this point it was clearly one of the problems. I even wonder as I didn't make the follow on legal report, then are these figures even making it to the official crime statistics.

Since returning, on mentioning it to some friends, I found that quite a few of them also have had such problems in Athens.

Hence my note of caution, do visit Athens of course, its lovely, but when visiting make sure you put valuables in something that cannot be pick pocketed and if people come up close and offer gifts such as large bunch of flowers, then remember this note and back away holding onto your valuables!

Date of experience: August 2019