“Unfriendly”
Review of Rio Hotel

Rio Hotel
Ranked #225 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I booked a room in this hotel for 3 days (end of may). It was supposed to be a double room with garden view and minibar. when I arrived at 13.00, the manager told me in a very unfriendly way that i could not check in untill 14.00, so I had to wait for one hour. When i finally checked in, I was given a small room with a view of a wall. there was no minibar, just a noisy empty old fridge.
When I went down to complain, I was laughed at; there are no gardens in Athens sir.
After 1 night I decided to move to another, better hotel in a better location.
I know this is a cheap hotel, but I strongly advise not to stay here; the management is seedy and unfriendly, the location is not very nice and the rooms are very very basic and not very clean.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 May 2013

Travelled with my 6 third year students from a hotel & tourism academy and we have the following comments:
The friendly 2 afternoon shift ladies, Ms.Evi and Ms.Maria tried their best in a somewhat difficult situation being alone employees in the hotel most of the time, The old morningshift man was very grumpy, shrugged his shoulders "what do I care" when I inquired about the non working WiFi (3 days out of order) and other things, I tried to order a second beverage at mealtime, he was not in the restaurant and when I found him he was rude and said "WHAT do you want??!!

Breakfast consisted of stale bread, green eggs, cheese, bellony, cereals, Juice, milk, Coffee tea and jam, tough for an active group. (08:00-10:00), I had to purchase 8 sandwiches (90 €) the night before a cruise when they would not open breakfast an hour earlier,(coffea and juice was put on a table however for our sandwiches)

The double beds are small but the rooms are comfortable and kept reasonably clean, although we had to make the beds our selves.

Bathrooms are ok, but the toilet refused to flush on occasion and when the repairman had done his job, he forgot to turn the water back on, 1 shower only cold water, 1 shower no pressure.

The aircons would not be turned on, It was explained to me that it is too expensive to run.

Location is good, albeit in a rough area.

Al in all a good trip but the hotel was a challenge.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Rio is not a bad hotel, but it's very basic. The rooms are ok, the breakfast is less than fantastic - but it's close to the metro (which is the easiest & cheapest way of getting around in Athens), and the patio is a nice spot to enjoy an icecold Mythos on a melting hot summer afternoon.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mogeltoft
Reviewed 26 November 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for a week in late July with my fiancé and only ever saw a maximum of three members of staff. George, the owner, seemed to do everything!! The other member of staff, a lady, was miserable. The first time she smiled was when we gave her a tip for dinner. Service was ok. The hotel room was ok; basic and clean although they never changed the sheets. The AC worked a treat as it was very hot and humid in July. The location would be great as it's not far from some of Athens main sites and the metro station is a couple of minutes walk from the hotel. The location of the hotel, however, is not great. On the first day, my fiancé and I saw an old lady being mugged in front of the hotel. The place doesn't feel safe, although we didn't encounter any trouble ourselves. We also saw a young girl (she looked about 13/14) escaping from a van on the last day. Absolutely horrible!
The hotel offers a breakfast which wasn't great: bread, boiled eggs, ham and cereal but that's about it. We had dinner once at the hotel which was quite average. Overall, ok hotel in a horrible area. My advice would be to book elsewhere (not the Metaxourgeio or Omonia area)!. I wouldn't visit Athens again in a hurry; it's very different to when I went 12 years ago. Everywhere seems to be run down and seems to have been affected by the recession. The Akropoli area is great though - vibrant and buzzy!!

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank PSB123
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I cannot accept that as a full fare paying family of guests in this hotel we had to have our air conditioning frequently switched off remotely by the owner whose best attempt at an apology was that "it was very expensive to run". We visited Athens in the height of summer, only to wake up feeling hot and uncomfortable because the air-conditioning had been switched off by the owner in the early hours of the morning. Having to go down to reception and keep asking for the air conditioning to our room to be switched back on doesn't make for good hospitality.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank SMREA
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Booked through website wholesaler thinking was a 3 star hotel. Maybe other rooms were but the room we were in was hostel accom and no way 3 star. Bathroom so small that to go to toilet had to squeeze against wall to shut door.Shower flooded. Floor was dirty and supposed double bed was more 3/4 single and very uncomfortable to sleep with 2 people. The ? owner "George" was so rude when asking about room and breakfast I was actually shocked. Have travelled all over the world and stayed in some grungy places but have never experienced rudeness like that.
I was told you get what you pay for. Well don't bother paying a single cent as it is not worth it.
Breakfast supposed to be included but did not start till 8.00 am and they would not even leave out a bowl of cereal. I do not know of any morning tour in Athens that starts that late. Do nyourself a favour and avoid this hotel/hoste.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DianeDAustralia
Reviewed 6 June 2012

The hotel was in a great location, because it was literally visible as we walked out of the metro station. We loved the location. Although it was notnear the city center (or we havent discovered what was nearby), the hotel was on the same metro line as Acropolis and within maybe 3 or 4 stops. We loved the accessibility of it.
When it comes to the hotel itself, however, it looked great on the outside, but was fairly run down on the inside. The elevtar was oldschool, the chip card key didnt work, so we were given just a normal key, the AC did not work, and the shower water drained very slowly, so that it started overflowing in the middle of the shower.
As for a place to stay though it was clean and oferred free breakfast and, most importantly, it is so close to the metro, you cant do much better than this.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple